The NFL -- Is it just me?...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the #1 Reason I only watch college football.

Go Ducks!

I hate to say this to you, but college football, especially division 1, is a professional sport. Sure, the players may not get salaries but make no bones about- there is huge money involved.

Then again, those players might get salaries. I have knowledge of a once division 1 quarterback. He had a on campus security job that was about 10 hours a week, which was arranged to have somebody else do for him. Still, he was driving around in a Porsche 944 Turbo...not a professional you say?

If you want actual sport you need to stick to high school or even peewee football. Beyond that it is all business.

Just like the rest of the world today..just cuz you say it,doesnt mean its true in reality, or
something fact similar to that, ect.

[video=youtube;kr-WG95m5WU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr-WG95m5WU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Headed to the Giants/Pats game November 15th in NJ
One of me buddies scored 4 FREE tickets.
SWEET!
We are going to drive down Sunday morning and stay Sunday night in a motel.
I hear tell its about a 5 hour drive from these parts.

Anywhoo...2 of us are Pats fans and 2 are Giants fans. ha ha ha..should prove to be an interesting trip.

I am a pro football fan...and soccer....and hockey...okay most all sports, except maybe curling 😀. I'm a lifelong Vikings fan. There are bad people everywhere and in all professions. To say that the games are boring, well sometimes. But there still are great players and plays. In the end, to each is own.

Mike

Last edited:
Headed to the Giants/Pats game November 15th in NJ
One of me buddies scored 4 FREE tickets.
SWEET!
We are going to drive down Sunday morning and stay Sunday night in a motel.
I hear tell its about a 5 hour drive from these parts.

Anywhoo...2 of us are Pats fans and 2 are Giants fans. ha ha ha..should prove to be an interesting trip.

OMG!! What a game.
We had a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No issues with the drive down or coming home.
GREAT weather for Nov 15th ..ya,da,..ya,da...
Wicked good time and getting the win...omg...I had Giant fans all aroung me...ha ha ha ha ha ..So,Sorry Suckassssssssssssssssss......... :lol:

OMG!! What a game.
We had a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No issues with the drive down or coming home.
GREAT weather for Nov 15th ..ya,da,..ya,da...
Wicked good time and getting the win...omg...I had Giant fans all aroung me...ha ha ha ha ha ..So,Sorry Suckassssssssssssssssss......... :lol:

And what a helluva game to go too. Nail biter to the end. GO PATS!!!!

I find it very hard to care much about professional sports, with the possible exception if the NBA. Now, my alma mater's basketball team...that is some serious stuff around my house.

As for the NFL specifically, the seemingly endless stream of arrests for violence; Roger Goodell; the persistent, asinine denial (and active suppression of the data) that repeated concussions are a problem, and the subsequent turning their back on the players that built the league and are now broken, depressed, house plants; Roger Goodell; the completely screwy way that contract aren't guaranteed in a sport with the highest probability of injury; Roger Goodell; the blackmail levied against city after city to get taxpayer funded, billion dollar stadiums; Roger Goodell; the fact that until recently they were a tax exempt organization; Roger Goodell; "I don't want to hear about your fantasy football team"; and of course, Roger Goodell have turned me off to the league. I use to watch about 2-3 games per week, but now I probably average about 3 games a year.

All sports have their issues, but man the NFL is the undisputed champion. In other words, you are not alone...not a fan.

Yep, billionaires demand taxpayers build them a sandbox to play in.
A friend was teaching me baseball, and, I was going over, eating peanuts, drinking beer, and learning the game and what kinda strategies, it's a Lot more than just slap a hunnert mile an hour aspirin and run...and I was excited,
And Then they went on strike. I didn't watch it again till the Rangers were looking good for the pennant..and THEN, the team split up... so, phhhhht, my give-a-hooter spun a bearing.
I'm still more than a little confused by a society that pays big angry acting men fortunes to play a game that accomplishes NOTHING, it's just organized time killing, during which the mind is assaulted with propaganda, from which beer to drink to which branch of the military you should join.
Fantasy football,,, REALLY? Gag me..

Yeh, that game (Giants Patriots) reminded me of the game in 2007 between the Pats & G-Men, when the Pats got to 16-0. :cool: In fact this season is starting to look like 2007 & 2011 all over again :eyepop: Go G-Men:wink:

Yeh, that game (Giants Patriots) reminded me of the game in 2007 between the Pats & G-Men, when the Pats got to 16-0. :cool: In fact this season is starting to look like 2007 & 2011 all over again :eyepop: Go G-Men:wink:
The Giants got the rings, cant deny that.
With the injuries the Pats have ..I don't see 16-0. I'm not giving up ,just being real. Me-self, I don't care about the Pats going 19-0, I want to see another ring.

And get this....At this point in time, it is possible to have 2 undefeated teams in the big game.

Last edited:
I'm a bills fan. I'll let that sink in.

The game used to be fun to watch when people played with passion. When a team was losing and they all just looked mortified. Now? players don't give a crap. It's all about padding your personal stats and getting a better contract next time around.

What drives me INSANE is kneeling the ball at the end of a game. I don't care why....that's a chickenshit move. 60 minutes.... play all of them.

What drives me INSANE is kneeling the ball at the end of a game. I don't care why....that's a chickenshit move. 60 minutes.... play all of them.

I can't remember which teams were involved, but there was a professional game where the team that was ahead ran the ball.. and fumbled. The other team recovered the ball, scored and won the game. All the losing team would have had to do was kneel with the ball a few times and they would have won the game. Given that pro football has only 16 games, they have to make every one count. Coaches and players are going to do what is in their best interests and that will mean taking a knee to run out the clock.

I can't remember which teams were involved, but there was a professional game where the team that was ahead ran the ball.. and fumbled. The other team recovered the ball, scored and won the game. All the losing team would have had to do was kneel with the ball a few times and they would have won the game. Given that pro football has only 16 games, they have to make every one count. Coaches and players are going to do what is in their best interests and that will mean taking a knee to run out the clock.

If you can't handle playing for 60 minutes, you don't deserve to win.....

I'm from Dallas and well..... I live and DC and you can forget that. It's not football like when we grew up. It's become Hollywood. When I was a kid all the players were there every year. You really got to love your players. Now they bounce around like hermit crabs finding a new shell. All about $ and little about the love of the game any longer. Go to the mall and you'll see people wearing 20 different jerseys. Oh well, you summed it up. Not the same anymore.

If you can't handle playing for 60 minutes, you don't deserve to win.....

Taking a knee is no different than a running play. It is really that simple. It is simply clock management and control of the game. If you cannot understand that then you should not watch.

Taking a knee is no different than a running play. It is really that simple. It is simply clock management and control of the game. If you cannot understand that then you should not watch.

No, it's being weak. I understand why they do it. I just think it's weak ass, and cowardly.

No, it's being weak. I understand why they do it. I just think it's weak ass, and cowardly.

I disagree. I think it is being smart and going for the win. There is nothing to be gained by doing something riskier than it has to be in this situation. You win by one or win by a hundred points; its still a win.

So extrapolating to the extreme you could say that teams should never punt the ball because that is being weak. Teams should never kick field goals as they should always go for a touchdown. Teams should always try an onside kick as there is a chance they could get the ball.

I agree with both those statements. Punting should be taken out of the game.

I agree with both those statements. Punting should be taken out of the game.

I agree... using a long stick to push yourself along in a small boat is better to be done with a sweetheart or a few friends, and has nothing to do with kicking some odd shaped "ball" around.

the-cambridge-punting.jpg

As a Giants fan, I can tell you it was a 1978 game in the Medowlands between the Eagles & G-Men. The Giants QB & RB mishandled a handoff that was recovered and ran into the end zone by an Eagle for a TD with less than 30 seconds left. What a cluster duck!:jaw::y::eyepop::mad::facepalm:

I often wonder why people have the mindset they do. The mindset that keeps them from enjoying simple pleasures/ friends and times in life.

In case anyone missed it....I took a trip out of town with some friends, we went to a game and had a blast spending time together.

That was the Giants and the Eagles..... why run a play when the other team has no time outs and your team has the lead, and why risk injury. Take the win and move on....

What really has started to turn me off is all the money the owners and players are making. A few weeks ago a player was fined and was to miss 1 game with out pay. Which by the way was over 300K. That is just crazy. I don't care if the average NFL player only plays for 4-5 years. If he is broke after 4-5 years with pay like that its just to bad. They are lucky if they are even on the field for 15 min. a game. And maybe for 20 plays. To many people in this old USA to suffer everyday with no food. Let them get a real job.

Back