Where to Launch, been searching

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remyman

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to get my son excited about rocketry and we've just built a rocket, but I'm having difficulty locating a place to launch nearby. I've been on the estes and NAR sites but nothing so simple as a list or such, which is what I was hoping for. Just a lot of codes and general information. I did locate one facility, the SantaFe Dam in Irwindale, CA. Unfortunately they launch only with groups and they are launching next Sun Oct 18th. We can't make it that day and I'm not sure when is the next time they will launch.

Any ideas where we can launch that is less restrictive? Just using model-rockets, no high-power rockets.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Remy

Hi new guy :) Well, you're in Cali so I can't be of much help but I'm sure people from there can help. There's new laws coming down the pipe, I'm not sure if they are in force yet so wait for those who know. Your launch could be an empty soccer field away ;)

In social be sure to check with your local fire department many areas require a launch permit even for low power rockets. They also might know where it is permitted.

Hi new guy :) Well, you're in Cali so I can't be of much help but I'm sure people from there can help. There's new laws coming down the pipe, I'm not sure if they are in force yet so wait for those who know. Your launch could be an empty soccer field away ;)
I'm not in the US but I launch some LPR in soccer parks. Just don't launch too high. If the chute doesn't open, you need to crash somewhere safe.

The thing about California is that they are super cautious about fire hazards. I've heard stories where parents of kids doing LPR park launches were fined $1000 PER ROCKET LAUNCHED. You're doing the right thing searching for a club to launch with, who will have obtained written permission of landowner and clearance from local fire departments.

The thing about California is that they are super cautious about fire hazards. I've heard stories where parents of kids doing LPR park launches were fined $1000 PER ROCKET LAUNCHED. You're doing the right thing searching for a club to launch with, who will have obtained written permission of landowner and clearance from local fire departments.
Forget about my soccer field recommendation and listen to Mark!

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/scra2015.pdf

Looks like next Saturday launch is on Nov. 7th and the next Sunday is on Nov. 15th

"Model Rocket launches co-sponsored by SCRA and the County of Los Angeles Department of Parks & Recreation. SCRA conducts controlled & supervised launches for the general public at the Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area"

Forget about my soccer field recommendation and listen to Mark!

Thats an eye opener really,
Lets just toss this out there -
So I travel from Fl to somewhere in California for a family gathering. Some of my brothers younger kids know I fly rockets and are interested. I head to the local Hobby Lobby - whatever - and purchase a couple RTR's and a bulk pack and find , what appears to be an appropriate place ( at least according to my Fl standards-lol) soccer field - ect. and fly. Cheap investment to get some new blood interested right ?

1) I can be fined for doing so without a permit ??
2) $1000 ????
Dont get me wrong, I understand the need in some areas to make damn sure a fire never starts, but someone could easily make a very harmless , no matter how safe mistake, with major consequences. :eyepop:

EDIT- After I posted this , I looked at my avatar and had to remind myself it didnt start a fire :facepalm::tongue::tongue:
And yes it was my rocket.

Last edited:
If you're in OC, you might want to check with your local Fire Department for suggestions. OC has a general "model rockets are OK as long as you're not stupid" policy from the fire marshall, so if you can find a local park where it's not a problem then you should be fine. There used to be a model rocket range at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley, but golf courses make more money so it's long gone. LA County, different deal... you got Santa Fe Dam with SCRA, special Scout events from time to time, or you have to go out to Lucerne Valley (where you can launch low-power anytime you want).

If you're just getting started, you should try launching with the guys at Santa Fe Dam, they're a nice bunch and very helpful towards beginners.

I'm not in the US but I launch some LPR in soccer parks. Just don't launch too high. If the chute doesn't open, you need to crash somewhere safe.

It's just with the California laws the police would watch you launch your rockets then write you up with fines per launch. A bad situation. The situation will be much better with the implementation of the new set of laws. I just don't know enough about it to advise on where to launch, that's why I am hoping that a Californian weighs in on this with Shredvector maybe being the best.

In So Cal I've launched LPR at a park while the local fire department, who was there doing some PT, stopped to watch the fun. One had just bought a new set-up for his daughter and wanted to see how it worked. When one of the rockets came down in a tree, they loaned me one of their poles to retrieve it.

I launched multiple times (for a kid's science party) at a park backing up to a police station. Nobody looked twice at me.

Both times it was either shortly after a rain or on a damp morning with heavy dew. Kept the rockets low and away from trouble. Basically did it in a way to cause no alarm to authorities. If I were to do it now at the end of the summer during a heat wave in the middle of a drought, I'd expect some trouble. But I don't launch at times like these. Just like anything else, you can do things in a way that doesn't draw attention you don't want. A little common sense and safety applies.

The local NAR president has done a lovely job of informing people that ask that the sanctioned NAR launches are technically the only legal place to launch. However one weekend the club's gear wasn't working. So lots of people broke out their personal Estes launch pads and put them to use. I couldn't help but notice none of them were fresh out of the box. They were all more than a little used.

The story about the police watching a father launch multiple times and then get a ticket for each launch has been kicking around here for a while. It comes up every time someone asks about launching in California. I've noticed it's never from the actual offender. It's always from people who heard about it or "know someone it happened to." If it did happen, it was probably because the guy was unsafe, launching in a fire prone area during a high fire danger day.

Technically the only legal place to launch in So Cal is at sanctioned launch.

I'm just saying.

The story about the police watching a father launch multiple times and then get a ticket for each launch has been kicking around here for a while. It comes up every time someone asks about launching in California. I've noticed it's never from the actual offender. It's always from people who heard about it or "know someone it happened to." If it did happen, it was probably because the guy was unsafe, launching in a fire prone area during a high fire danger day.

I'm just saying.

Not every flyer in the world posts here so it's no wonder the "actual offender" hasn't popped up to say anything. You want to push it that's up to you, all we can do is give a warning.

...just saying...

I spoke with the woman who was fined $2000 in the San Fernando Valley. She bought a starter set (this was before launch sets- starter sets came with motors). The set had 2 B6-4 motors. She took her kids to a park to launch. A policeman in his patrol car sat there and ate his sandwich while she launched twice. He then got out of his car and wrote her up for 2 violations of the State Fire Code (launching without a permit). 2 X $1000 = $2000

She was annoyed to say the least and complained to a hobby shop owner. He put her in touch with me. That's also why hobby shops put copies of our club launch calendar on a peg.

Our club president also got a call from a guy who was going to face a judge for the one year in jail penalty. He spoke to him once and never heard from him again.

SCRA launches are open to the generL public and not just for groups. I have no idea where that came from.

I also got the State Law changed - I got the ball rolling with my Assemblywoman and many people wrote letters and even testified in Sacramento. On January 1, 2016 the law goes into effect and we then have the same limits as the National limits.

Our club website has current launch dates for the rest of the year as well as info on attempting to get your own launch site.

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/

If anyone needs more info contact me directly.

In So Cal I've launched LPR at a park while the local fire department, who was there doing some PT, stopped to watch the fun. One had just bought a new set-up for his daughter and wanted to see how it worked. When one of the rockets came down in a tree, they loaned me one of their poles to retrieve it.

I launched multiple times (for a kid's science party) at a park backing up to a police station. Nobody looked twice at me.

Both times it was either shortly after a rain or on a damp morning with heavy dew. Kept the rockets low and away from trouble. Basically did it in a way to cause no alarm to authorities. If I were to do it now at the end of the summer during a heat wave in the middle of a drought, I'd expect some trouble. But I don't launch at times like these. Just like anything else, you can do things in a way that doesn't draw attention you don't want. A little common sense and safety applies.

The local NAR president has done a lovely job of informing people that ask that the sanctioned NAR launches are technically the only legal place to launch. However one weekend the club's gear wasn't working. So lots of people broke out their personal Estes launch pads and put them to use. I couldn't help but notice none of them were fresh out of the box. They were all more than a little used.

I'm just saying.

I've launched with the Santa Fe Dam group and I would not recommend them.

DART is an excellent group and they launch at Fiesta Island in San Diego.

I have launched with both groups. I prefer the Santa Fe Dam (SCRA) NAR section.
SCRA has a nice big flying area, you can fly higher than 1000 feet and the section has many long-time rocket fliers to assist newbies.

The launch site aid PDF on the SCRA website has some links that do not work since the destination websites were revised and the content was moved around.

I have made a new version and I think I fixed the bad links.

It will be uploaded within a few days, but here is a copy now.

View attachment siteaid.pdf

Thanks Fred,

A lot of good information, though some of it can be a bit mis-leading. For example, the following statement "The FAA revised their regulations several years ago so that their definition of a “Model Rocket” now agrees with the NAR and NFPA limits and are exempt from FAA regulation as long as they are operated safely and do not present a hazard to aircraft. This statement makes a novice like me think that I can launch anywhere as long as I use common sense. However, reading further it seems that permits are required to launch, even at a place as open and green as the Santa Fe Dam. I guess its just a good idea to launch with a group or organization that already holds permits.

Anyhow, good info, Fred.

Thanks again.

Remy

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/scra2015.pdf

Looks like next Saturday launch is on Nov. 7th and the next Sunday is on Nov. 15th

"Model Rocket launches co-sponsored by SCRA and the County of Los Angeles Department of Parks & Recreation. SCRA conducts controlled & supervised launches for the general public at the Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area"

JJSR and others. This link to the SCRA events is exactly what I need. I'll just be patient and wait for the next event that I can make it too. Looks like Nov.

Thanks again all.

Wish us luck and hope we don't launch our rocket into the top of someone's car... ;)

Remy

Thanks Fred,

A lot of good information, though some of it can be a bit mis-leading. For example, the following statement "The FAA revised their regulations several years ago so that their definition of a “Model Rocket” now agrees with the NAR and NFPA limits and are exempt from FAA regulation as long as they are operated safely and do not present a hazard to aircraft. This statement makes a novice like me think that I can launch anywhere as long as I use common sense. However, reading further it seems that permits are required to launch, even at a place as open and green as the Santa Fe Dam. I guess its just a good idea to launch with a group or organization that already holds permits.

Anyhow, good info, Fred.

Thanks again.

Remy

You live there, you ought to know by now California doesn't give a crap about Federal Law. Don't risk it and be patient, launch with the legal launches. It's just not worth funding a nearly bankrupt state government....

This really makes me appreciate that I can go to my county park and launch up to MPR rockets, no questions asked. Last Saturday, the local cop and park rangers sat in their vehicles and watched the show.

My first rocket as a kid was launched from the middle of the street in my suburban neighborhood. Seems like trekking to an official launch and paying range fees, filling launch cards, waiting in the flight queue, and having some stranger adult press the button would be a buzz kill for my first Alpha on an A8-3. But, such is life in Cali, I guess.

"Just sayin." <----- (You can't criticize anything I write, because I inserted this disclaimer at the end of my post. Apparently, that is how this moronic phrase works.)

This really makes me appreciate that I can go to my county park and launch up to MPR rockets, no questions asked. Last Saturday, the local cop and park rangers sat in their vehicles and watched the show.

My first rocket as a kid was launched from the middle of the street in my suburban neighborhood. Seems like trekking to an official launch and paying range fees, filling launch cards, waiting in the flight queue, and having some stranger adult press the button would be a buzz kill for my first Alpha on an A8-3. But, such is life in Cali, I guess.

You can look at it however you want, I see pretty much the opposite. Sure, as a kid my Dad and I walked up to the top of our neighborhood and launched model rockets from my Jr. High School parking lot (they just tore the building down a year or two ago, I wonder if any parts from one of my rockets was still stuck on the roof after ~25 years). But I love official launches because you get to see so many amazing rockets done by others. Sure, I like to watch my own go up/down as well, but at the big launch you see some really impressive big projects, and at any launch I've been to there are dozens of (if not more like 100+) other flyers with all sorts of different rockets in terms of size and complexity, places to get ideas for future rockets I might want to do or techniques to try, and of course other people to talk to about rockets/rocketry, and when you're lucky a store that is just a few parking spaces away to buy even more rocketry stuff! I couldn't imagine doing a one-off launch at this point, I would be so bored. And I keep copies (photos) of my launch cards as a record of what I flew and how the rocket was configured at that point (also inspired my own much more detailed "launch card" that I keep in a logbook). And of course for MPR/HPR not having to have your own pad / launch controller is a huge plus as well. :) But for me my first trip to XPRS and just watching others fly (and experiencing Black Rock Desert, which I'd have likely never seen without this launch) is what gave me the BAR bug.

"Just sayin." <----- (You can't criticize anything I write, because I inserted this disclaimer at the end of my post. Apparently, that is how this moronic phrase works.)

....you should watch who you're calling a moron...just saying....

I'm not a lawyer. Can the excerpts below be described in layman's terms? How do I determine the "authority having jurisdiction" for my area (napa, ca.)? I read excerpt (b) to mean I can launch off of private lands with only the owner&#8217;s permission (the &#8220;authority having jurisdiction&#8221; being the owner?) and don&#8217;t need permission from the &#8220;state&#8221;. Is this correct?

(a) No model rocket user shall launch any model rocket motor from any site without first securing authorization from the authority having jurisdiction. The authority having jurisdiction may require notification each time that model rockets are to be launched.
(b) It shall be the responsibility of the model rocket user to secure permission of the owner of private lands when such land is intended to be used to launch model rockets.

I'm not a lawyer. Can the excerpts below be described in layman's terms? How do I determine the "authority having jurisdiction" for my area (napa, ca.)? I read excerpt (b) to mean I can launch off of private lands with only the owner&#8217;s permission (the &#8220;authority having jurisdiction&#8221; being the owner?) and don&#8217;t need permission from the &#8220;state&#8221;. Is this correct?

(a) No model rocket user shall launch any model rocket motor from any site without first securing authorization from the authority having jurisdiction. The authority having jurisdiction may require notification each time that model rockets are to be launched.
(b) It shall be the responsibility of the model rocket user to secure permission of the owner of private lands when such land is intended to be used to launch model rockets.

I'm not a lawyer either. I understand that the AHJ, for our purposes, is the Fire Marshall. City, county, state, whatever level is appropriate for your area.

Both must be complied with. It does not say you only need to comply with one.

Thanks Fred. The PDF you uploaded answered a lot of my questions. Now I have to find a phone book. Maybe the library has one.

Back