V2 for my L3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That worked well, thanks for sharing. You may want to forward a copy to Mark Koelsch (I may have screwed the spelling) for inclusion on his L3 paperwork section of Rocketry Files.

I will once I hear back from my L3CC that nothing else is required.

I built the motor, so I can do a true flight ready nose weight balancing and run my checklist. I've never thought building a motor was work before, but a 5 grain moon-burner is just that. Glad I used Aeropoxy as it gave me a lot of work time. I would have been in deep trouble with 20 min or even 30 minute epoxy.

Last edited:
Got some feedback from my L3CC on the packet, and added/edited the requested info. The finalized packet (checklists split into a second doc) are at the below links...progress.

Document

Checklists

You mean that 43 pages wasn't enough? Sheesh, talk about a tough crowd.. Kurt

Biggest thing was a diagram of rocket under main chute with lengths/inter-part distances marked. Since the NC is about 10 lbs with weight he wanted me to lay out the distances, so it was clear it was unlikely to club the boat tail when the main deployed. There were also a couple minor safety related things he wanted added to the checklists.

All in all it took one evening to amend, and I actually feel better about the NC now. I don't want to give the impression he has been unreasonable, in fact he has been quite helpful.

Just finished at home portion of prep and double checked CG...1.05 cal with all 7 lbs in the nose, just made it.

Plan is to fly it Saturday morning. For better or worse, the two year project ends this weekend. Gulp.

Last edited:
Just finished at home portion of prep and double checked CG...1.05 cal with all 7 lbs in the nose, just made it.

Plan is to fly it Saturday morning. For better or worse, the two year project ends this weekend. Gulp.

You will be fine senor, just take your time and make sure you check and double check your pre-flight, pad, and post flight checklists. If need be have someone else read or confirm each step of the checklists with you.

I agree you'll be fine, going to be an awesome flight

I just wanted to tell you ... Good Luck. We're all counting on you.

I know you are going to have Nadine take pictures, but if you could get someone to video as well, that would be most awesome.

It's a damn fine looking rocket, and with your attention to detail, I'm sure you'll be fine. As far as the L3 packet goes, I understand. I'm at 11 pages (granted, with the checklists) on my rough draft, and I haven't even really started building anything.

Flight ok, recovered safe, cert failed. Dumped the main at apogee. I suspect the electronics bay did seal, so the alts fired mains, but I'll have to wait until I get home to download the data. I got lucky as there is NO WIND today, at Airfest...freaking crazy, so even coming g down from 9k it only landed within 1.5 mi. EggFinder never lost contact.

I'm ok with it, and I learned a few things. The biggest is don't put the Mobius in it. It started spinning as the thrust died, and it was spinning like a top at burn out.

I got some cool pics that I will get to next week.

Longer report next week...I got a 38 GoDevil to vaporize tomorrow.

I'm good with it. I'm more annoyed by the spin from the Mobius than I am the dumped main.

Regardless of the cert, I have flown an M650 in a V2, which was the goal to begin with.

I will probably back off to a baby M, do a tweak to the documentation, and give it a go again down the road.

Chris congrats on the mostly successful flight. Sorry to hear the issue with the main. Look forward to pictures, recap, and final analysis. I'm sure your figure it out.

Forgive the question, but I thought a recovery anomaly wasn't grounds for a failure, as long as it descended safely. Why was it a failure, then?

Forgive the question, but I thought a recovery anomaly wasn't grounds for a failure, as long as it descended safely. Why was it a failure, then?

I think it's up to the L3CC. There's been argument over this point in the past too. (Most recently in the case of Blackbrandt's Hyperion)

Cl(Vll), as someone practicing electronics for my L2 in the future, I'd love to know about your flight's failure mode (only if you want to disclose of course)

Recovery issues are a bit of a grey area. I'll say my situation was not decided arbitrarily. For what it is worth, I do not feel I deserve the cert. I did not execute the DD flight I described, so I agree with the decision entirely. If I had written it for a single deploy flight I would have passed, but I didn't. I'll try again once I identify the problem, and I will rewrite the packet to make single deploy ok.

Just means I get to burn another M in my V2...darn.

Flight ok, recovered safe, cert failed. Dumped the main at apogee. I suspect the electronics bay did seal, so the alts fired mains, but I'll have to wait until I get home to download the data. I got lucky as there is NO WIND today, at Airfest...freaking crazy, so even coming g down from 9k it only landed within 1.5 mi. EggFinder never lost contact.

I'm ok with it, and I learned a few things. The biggest is don't put the Mobius in it. It started spinning as the thrust died, and it was spinning like a top at burn out.

I got some cool pics that I will get to next week.

Longer report next week...I got a 38 GoDevil to vaporize tomorrow.

Who was this through (NAR/TRA)? What was the waiver radius and did you come down within it?

Failure or not, flying your gigantic scratchbuild V2 on an M motor and recovering safely is a good day at the range in my book! Looking forward to the pics.

cert failed. Dumped the main at apogee

Good for you for the "proper" attitude.
Good for NAR for having this be the rule.

Too bad TRA allows sloppy certs......
So tell me, if it had been a TRA attempt and you "passed" with this mistake, would you be "proud" of your achievement.

I think it's up to the L3CC. There's been argument over this point in the past too. (Most recently in the case of Blackbrandt's Hyperion)

Cl(Vll), as someone practicing electronics for my L2 in the future, I'd love to know about your flight's failure mode (only if you want to disclose of course)

From the NAR website:

3.6 The actual flight shall meet ALL of the following requirements:

a) The rocket shall use a motor with total impulse greater than 5120 Newton-
seconds b) The flight shall be made while a suitable FAA waiver is in effect

c) The rocket shall make a stable, safe flight. Safety includes compliance with FAA
waiver limits. Models that exceed the FAA waiver altitude are, by definition,
unsafe and cannot be certified.

d) The rocket shall fully deploy its recovery system. An anomalous deployment of
the recovery system is not cause for flight rejection if the model descended in a
safe manner. It is up to the judgement of the Flight Witnesses whether the model
descended in a safe manner.

e) The rocket shall remain intact, with no separation of parts that do not deploy
their own recovery device(s

Back