MAC Performance 4" Arcas Kit w/Anti-Zipper Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3td

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship of my 3" Arcas MAC Performance kit, and asked Mike to build me a 4" version with an Anti-Zipper option.

The kit arrived yesterday, and just like my 3" is immaculate - thanks Mike!

Here are some photos of the components, including one of the body tubes, fins and nose cone dry fit. Total length is 87.75" - 68.25" for the body tube sections and a 19.50" nose cone.

4 inch Arcas 1.jpg

4 inch Arcas 2.jpg

4 inch Arcas 3.jpg

4 inch Arcas 4.jpg

4 inch Arcas 5.jpg

I love the canvas fins and tubes!

This will be a Fall construction project, I'm a slow builder.

I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship of my 3" Arcas MAC Performance kit, and asked Mike to build me a 4" version with an Anti-Zipper option.

The kit arrived yesterday, and just like my 3" is immaculate - thanks Mike!

Here are some photos of the components, including one of the body tubes, fins and nose cone dry fit. Total length is 87.75" - 68.25" for the body tube sections and a 19.50" nose cone.

View attachment 273776

View attachment 273775

View attachment 273774

View attachment 273773

View attachment 273772

I love the canvas fins and tubes!

This will be a Fall construction project, I'm a slow builder.

I am assuming that the body tube with the coupling behind the booster section will house the AV bay in the coupler and the booster coupler has a full bulkhead? I have built my last two with that design and it works very well.

I am assuming that the body tube with the coupling behind the booster section will house the AV bay in the coupler and the booster coupler has a full bulkhead? I have built my last two with that design and it works very well.

The bottom tube has the anti-zipper coupler at the top for mating to the mid tube. The mid tube holds the streamer and has the av bay at the top for mating to the top tube. The top tube holds the chute.

These kits go together so smoothly. Have fun!

My 3" villain was quite literally my smoothest build. Very enjoyable.... and fun to fly to boot! I flew it with the nosecone as it.... Future plans include a couple CR's and a 54mm tube to build an av bay into it.

The bottom tube has the anti-zipper coupler at the top for mating to the mid tube. The mid tube holds the streamer and has the av bay at the top for mating to the top tube. The top tube holds the chute.

Cool. Just as I expected. Very nice design.

I was curious how this nosecone bay works, haven't ever seen the "inside face" of that screw cap. Does it have any provision for attaching a sled to it, or how would you contain a sled within this bay? I get how the cap seals it off and transfers the shock cord load to the nose assembly, but I haven't gotten the sled attachment yet.

I'm using mine as a tracker bay.

foam, tracker, more foam, cap. Done.

I have a supply of couch cushion foam... likely cut off a bit of that.

I'm going to use small bubble wrap or couch cushion foam. I got the 54 mm bays so that I would have some extra space for the bubble wrap or foam around the Beeline 70 cm GPS tracker.

So is the top of the bay sealed? I assumed it was open into the rest of the nose volume, that bay looks too short for an antenna, so I figured the only 'bulkhead' would be the bottom screw cap. Or do you end up filling the entire nose with foam as well? The bay is only as long as the coupler portion of the nosecone, right?

So is the top of the bay sealed? I assumed it was open into the rest of the nose volume, that bay looks too short for an antenna, so I figured the only 'bulkhead' would be the bottom screw cap. Or do you end up filling the entire nose with foam as well? The bay is only as long as the coupler portion of the nosecone, right?

The top of the bay has a plywood bulkhead. I'll drill a hole to allow the antenna to pass through before I epoxy it in place. That will allow me to use the foam or bubble wrap to 'contain' the Beeline - top, bottom and sides - as well as act as a cushion to shock when it is all buttoned up.

Back