Black powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not familiar with Kik, but here is some info gleaned from web searches.

Kik - made in Europe
Goes - made in USA

Kik has a higher fps than Goex.

Whichever you get and ground test with, stay with it. Make sure Kik is 100% FFFg or FFFFg BP and not a BP substitute.

Goex FFFF....
American made....
Brand most are accustomed to seeing / most familiar label.......
Their last run was in nice plastic containers,,,
I never liked or was comfortable with the metal cans.....

Teddy

Goex FFFF....
American made....
Brand most are accustomed to seeing / most familiar label.......
Their last run was in nice plastic containers,,,
I never liked or was comfortable with the metal cans.....

Teddy

Totally agree about the Goex and American made, not so sure about the plastic containers. I know you can get a spark from metal on metal contact, but plastics tend to build up static. If the metal can is closed there is no metal inside the can to cause a spark in the powder, but the plastic container, is it possible to get a static build up from the powder to plastic friction if the can is shaken/moved a lot? I just think the metal can is safer.

Ive had plastic containers of BP and of smokeless powders for years, they don't seem to be static charge prone. The powder industry can not afford to have explosions caused by the containers. One reason manufacturers recommend leaving storing powders in the original containers is that they are engineered to fail in a specific manner. The metal cans for example fail along the seam on the side, the plastic ones just melt.

You guy's certainly make perfect sense...
I have no bad experiences,,,
the plastic container just sat better with me I guess....

Teddy

Totally agree about the Goex and American made, not so sure about the plastic containers. I know you can get a spark from metal on metal contact, but plastics tend to build up static. If the metal can is closed there is no metal inside the can to cause a spark in the powder, but the plastic container, is it possible to get a static build up from the powder to plastic friction if the can is shaken/moved a lot? I just think the metal can is safer.

They have static free plastics..

Ya know,, they must...
The plastic bags Eggtimer ships electronics in are static free....
The plastic bags Aerotech ships propellant in are static free.....

Teddy

Back