Alpha III Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
Was there ever a plan for a stretched version - same diameter, nose and fin can but with a longer body?

The Hijinks RTF has the same fin can and slightly longer tube but has a different nose cone.

1444362232859423121316.jpg

91est16.jpg

from the 1991 catalog. This was my first rocket.

I made a clone with an alpha III. Just used a length of BT50

Interesting, that Liberty.

HiJinks and the Make-It Take-It are the same size. The RTF Athena is an inch longer. But those three don't use the Alpha III nose cone. It sure looks like that 1991 catalog Liberty does.

Didn't realize that the nose was shorter on the black and orange version.

I think an old red and white would look cool at double and triple the length.

Was there ever a plan for a stretched version - same diameter, nose and fin can but with a longer body?

With a coupler and piece of body tube, you could stretch an Alpha Iii kit pretty easily. Or use a nose block, and make it a payload extension.

I did several model rocketry programs for my kids' elementary school when they attended back in the 90s. We built hundreds of Alpha IIIs over several years. I still had a couple left from those classes and introduced my grand daughters to flying this summer, at the same school yard where their mom and aunt flew rockets. Great experience, and there is just something special for me in using the Alpha as a beginner rocket.

Is there any question in rocketry that can't be answered with "1991 Estes catalog"?

Back