MDRA at the sod farm this weekend (10/10 - 11) -- who's coming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I will be there, definitely Saturday, maybe some of Sunday, too. I am hoping to spend some time trying to rescue my X-Celerator from the tree. But I also hope to fly my MDRM on an H151, Scorpion on an I303, and Leviathan with cable-cutter on a G106.

I need to find my Torrent in the woods on Saturday. May fly some Parrot and/or squirrels if I get the motor retainers on tomorrow.

I will be there all day Sunday only. Will be flying Uncrashable and also my dual deploy Minie-Magg.

I'm going to try to get down there one day with the kids. Figure we're going to bring the small stuff this time --saving the big stuff for Higg's. We'll probably be a bit heavy on the Pem-Tech models: Screamin' Green Meanie, Three or four Kraken, Bucky Jones, and the Space Ark.

Later!

--Coop

If the Sunday forecast for low winds holds up we plan to fly our 2.6" Black Brant on an I212 and our 6" Der Red Max on a K1200. Plus some small stuff.

Don

Last edited:
I'm coming...going to shoot at Bat-mite's rocket with an arrow :)

After losing my Partizon in the woods last month (with streamer recovery!) I plan to stay below 2000 ft at the sod farm from now on.

After losing my Partizon in the woods last month (with streamer recovery!) I plan to stay below 2000 ft at the sod farm from now on.

worthy plan. Much past 2,000 there, I go DD if at all possible.

Later!

--Coop

I'll be there Sunday only, Bringing my Girlfriend and her MDRM Pinktober to L1 on an H133 Blue Streak, and fly on a G145 Pink
I'm planning the following:
The Big Archer on a K454 Skidmark
New Dual deploy 2.6" Archer on TBD
Mini FG Frenzy on F120 Vmax using Mayhems Fly Away rail guide.
Whatever else I can throw in the air!

Last edited:
I will likely be there most of both days. I do have three rockets to launch, but as Dick said, will spend some time trying to get my bestest rocket out of a tree, if Joaquin didn't do that for me (one can hope).

Looks like Sunday will be the better day--clearer skies and less wind. Wind direction both days will be SSW, which means it won't be blowing directly at the woods, which are ESE. Saturday will start cloudy and clear up in the afternoon, but the cloud cover will be above 12,000 feet regardless.

Here's hoping the soy has been harvested. :rolleyes:

Did you score any extra paracord? If not, maybe Dave or someone who has some could bring it. It would suck to snag the rocket but find it is 60' up vs the 50 mine can reach.

Did you score any extra paracord? If not, maybe Dave or someone who has some could bring it. It would suck to snag the rocket but find it is 60' up vs the 50 mine can reach.

I'm glad you reminded me! I'll get it today.

We might make it out for the latter part of Saturday, but will definitely be there
all day Sunday... so bring out something interesting folks, because we don't have
anything new to toss up ourselves this month. Now don't let us down.....
:)

We might make it out for the latter part of Saturday, but will definitely be there
all day Sunday... so bring out something interesting folks, because we don't have
anything new to toss up ourselves this month. Now don't let us down.....
:)

I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun heckling. But if you are bored, maybe you can help Dick and me try to lasso and pull down my treed X-Celerator. :wink:

Hope you have some use for the rope other than this recovery...at least it is pretty cheap! I still prefer Saturday but with the proximity of today's rain, I may opt for Sunday. Sorry for being so wishywashy.

Dennis, Coop, and wighty44, since I have never met you guys (I don't think!), look for me and say hi. I'll bring a little Bat-mite plush and sit it on my prep table. :wink:

Dennis, Coop, and wighty44, since I have never met you guys (I don't think!), look for me and say hi. I'll bring a little Bat-mite plush and sit it on my prep table. :wink:
Yup! Likewise, Ill be the one whose car license plate is SSBN610 [the hull no. of the FBM submarine I was stationed on for 5 med. patrols], and I'll have the red RW Formula 75 rocket - modified for DD.

Well, I went today and had a blast (pun intended). Only flew three rockets, but they all looked nice and were recovered in good shape. Unfortunately, Dick and I were unable to recover my X-Celerator. So we'll see where it is in a month.

I only had one mishap. After completely redesigning and building out my Leviathan's nose cone for an AV bay, and getting a brand spanking new cable cutter tube and piston, something went wrong with the altimeter, and it popped the cute open just after apogee. Yes, I'm sure I had the right charge hooked up. But it was an Adept DDC22, and I have been leery of it. May be time to put an RRC2+ in there, or get Chute Release.

I think I found your rocket on Saturday. Pm me your phone number and I will message you the gps coordinates and a picture of the rocket. It's not that high up.

Had a great time on Sunday - excellent weather. Two flights on my modified Formula 75 - I303 to 2,562 ft and a J316 to 3,536 ft.

The only downside to my flights was the wind shifted on my second flight and it drifted into the southern tree line. Found the rocket about 50' in and 50' up. With some help from Glen, his wife (I presume), a 40 ft pole extension and a 6' ladder, we were able to recover the rocket :cheers:

I owe Glen, and his wife, a debt of gratitude. We've got some great people in MDRA!!

Using a 40' pole from a 6' ladder...you are braver than I :y:
Although it took some effort, it was not as hazardous as it might seem. It was a last resort attempt when we saw that another 5 feet would get use to a part of the rocket that could be snagged. Glen did most of the work.

I was there Sat. Punished my SGM with an F51, crunched my daughter's mega pink max on the roof. What an embarrassing mess!

I was there Sat. Punished my SGM with an F51, crunched my daughter's mega pink max on the roof. What an embarrassing mess!

Ah, I didn't know that was you. That was one loud CRASH when that thing hit. Is it reparable?

Yeah, it was a rather serious BONK--wasn't it?

It's my daughter's rocket --of course it's repairable! She wasn't even upset; "It's okay, Daddy. I know you can fix it."

With pressure like that, it's kind of a foregone conclusion that the repair is required. We crunched the first couple inches of the airframe pretty well, but the fins, etc., are all in good shape. I could cut/splice in a new section of airframe.

Mine is crunched down to the coupler from the previous splice. It may be more difficult to repair--but it is possible.

I think that, moving forward, I'll be supplementing the stock ejection charges with a bit more BP, once the repairs are done.

Later!

--Coop

I was there on Saturday and had a good time. I got my Level 2 with a Black Brant II on a J580 that went to 2850 ft. I want to thank Scott and Bob for helping me with it.

On a down note, I lost my PML Bullpuppy to the trees off to the southwest. I started to look for it, but ran into a couple of hunters, so I apologized and headed back. If anyone ever comes across it out there, please let me know. I'm kind of disappointed in myself for flying it on the motor I did. I'm not sure why I thought going over 2,000 ft would be ok for an apogee ejection with the winds the way they were. I should have kept it around 1000 ft. It's something I'll certainly learn from.

Sunday was absolutely gorgeous flying weather, My girlfriend flew her Mega Der Red Max 3 times including her L1 Cert on an H151 Red Lightning, her tribute flight to her sister who passed away from cancer last August on a G145 Pink, and a drag race with Glenn and myself on G106 Skids. I sent my Upscale Archer up on a K454 Skidmark to 2208ft.

Back