maxi alpha gone 29mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Anyone build a Maxi Alpha kit out with a 29mm motor yet? Looks simple enough, requiring no more than an extra tube and a rotary tool or maybe some pre cut centering rings. I am curious how it went, how it flies.

you talkin about the maxi alpha 3 with the plastic fins? you can get a 24mm motor that will rip those off, not sure why you would want a 29...

Shoot, I was judging by the rkt file and did not realize it was a one piece and likely low strength fin can. Well, I still might try it!

it's a multi piece fin can. actually a nice kit if you use the right glue and don't push it too hard. I think Evan, EeebeeE flew his on a pretty hot motor with a camera, you could hear the fins flapping! I did some epoxy testes and found most, even my loctite plastic epoxy didn't really stick to the plastic. E-6000 craft glue does. my Maxi Alpha 3 came to a sad end due to a cato and I'm ordering new parts from rocketarium to rebuild it and will make plywood fins this time. I never put the decal on the original one so I'm going to use it on the new scratch one. sticking with 24mm. will fly great on E's or 24/40 motors.

Last edited:
I converted a Super Alpha :D (also lost it on the 2nd flight :()

I convert all my Maxi Alpha's to 29mm. I'm talking the original Maxi Alpha with balsa fins. I if you use the original balsa fin you should reinforce then with light fiberglass cloth, or you can replace the fins with plywood. My original one used the balsa fins and it flew great on Enerjet E24's.

The plastic fins will shred with CA and an F39T. An F24 will be okay though. With epoxy fillets (rocketpoxy in my case) it' handles an F39 without a problem, and I would be happy to put some CTI 2g motors in it. That's my experience anyway.

I think an F22J would work well in it, maybe even an F40W with epoxy fillets. Beyond that I'd be hesitant.

videos:
F39: [video=youtube;pRBbIRYsfjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRBbIRYsfjw[/video]

F24: [video=youtube;8ImfyKzyIOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImfyKzyIOA[/video]

Last edited:
I think I need the Super, not Maxi, with wood fins so I can fiberglass fillets. Also I should note this is less about performance, and more about simply making use of all the 29/40-120 reloads I have! Many are E and F.

estes has a few of the PSII kits on sale for $23. also the Sahara is only $30 and looks perfect for 29mm E and F's

like this?

super%20alpha_1.jpg

Tony

Back