Need help with 6th grade science question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter asked the vice principle today and she said she hasn't had a chance to review it yet.
My wife talked to another parent that was having a child that never had any issues in science all of a sudden hating science and doing poorly. She said this teacher noticed her son had his shoes untied and took him by the ear around the hall way making him ask other students if it is important to tie your shoes for about 5 minutes.
She said she has complained to the principle with no results.
Science and math are my daughter's favorite subjects. Her science grade right now is the lowest grade she has ever gotten since she has been in school. She is doing well in all her other classes.

Luckily my daughter said that the teacher is taking off for a month to stay with her husband during surgery. Someone we know who works in the school said that she is not coming back because she is retiring after she takes her 4 weeks time off. I sure hope this is true.

This is middle school and this teacher only teaches science and she teaches to 25 students in each period. I'm not sure how many periods are but I would assume at least about 5 or more.

I'm so sorry to hear your daughter is stuck with such a terrible teacher. I love math and science, and I would hate to see anyone's love for that (or any other subject) quashed by a nasty teacher.

Nate

She answered
D
C

After some major digging online, I found several sources for answer keys and found that she is correct.
She already asked the teacher about the first on about the apple and the teacher told her she was wrong because that gravity is not pulling on the apple when it is on the ground.
To me that is like saying a magnet doesnt have any magnetic force after the magnets stick together therefore is not acting on it.

Yup. Stupid science books nowadays... just like the calculus books that spend more time showing students how to futz around with their $150 graphing calculators than doing actual calculus, which can be done with nothing more than a pencil and paper. No wonder we can't figure out how to get back to the moon...

There is that saying,

Those who can't do, teach.

Also,

Nobody is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example.

Those being said, about 80% of my teachers in high school and college were very good.

Kudos to you for sticking up for your daughter

So wait a minute, this teacher gave a form test that had an answer key, but did NOT use the answer key and graded it with his/her own poor understanding and knowledge of science?

Holy cow! You know what, you should get the answer key, make the teacher take the test, and then give the teachers score to the superintendent.
+2.

So wait a minute, this teacher gave a form test that had an answer key, but did NOT use the answer key and graded it with his/her own poor understanding and knowledge of science?

Holy cow! You know what, you should get the answer key, make the teacher take the test, and then give the teachers score to the superintendent.

The teacher probably has tenure so the superintendent's options will be limited.

The teacher probably has tenure so the superintendent's options will be limited.

And if the teacher doesn't have tenure, the administration is scared of the teachers' union anyway.

And if the teacher doesn't have tenure, the administration is scared of the teachers' union anyway.

Bull honky.
Are either of you teachers? Do you understand the need for tenure?
This whole discussion had nothing to do with tenure or unions. Shame on you for making it about them.
A bad teacher teaching poorly is just that. Don't blame tenure or the union for that action. Adminstration has every right and every capability of enforcing training for that teacher or firing that teacher. If those haven't happened, it's because adminstration hasn't done its job, NOT due to tenure or the unions.
Be careful, lest your own ignorance appear as ridiculous as this teacher.

I have next to no sympathy for teachers incompetent in their subject matter. (Or their professional field - two different things.) And I've told all the local science teachers that if they try to teach my boys that yeast and sugar water only make CO2 (they used to, probably to make the DARE people happy) they are in for an argument.

But the flip side is that I have no desire to take up the job myself. There's a lot to education beyond the course matter. I -teach- my boys lots of things. Newtons laws have been bedtime material since they were about six. But I leave -education- to professionals. Like I do for medicine and law.

I do lots of consumer education. I even do in-trade education for my peers in Cider. But it would take a vast pile of dosh to get me in front of a class in a school building.

If 'those who can't, teach' then 'those who won't, grouse'

So my thanks goes out to any teachers here on the forum.

(So long as you don't try to teach that if there is no 'a', there must be no 'F').

I am a big supporter of teachers and feel they are greatly under appreciated by too many in this country, but I have to admit I have run across some who believe there is no gravity in space. Ouch.

Don

My favorite test question was a literature test where the teacher asked "Who do you think was the most influential..." Yep, she marked my answer wrong.

To her credit, she changed my grade when I pointed out the wording. I don't think she even realized she had phrased it like that.

Thanks for your support :cool:

We just got an email from the teacher:

Thank you for bringing your concerns to me on the night of parent conferences regarding your daughter's Chapter 12 test. With the help of the science teachers in her teacher's absence, we have confirmed your thoughts, in that your daughter's answers were correct.

We apologize for the error and thank you for your persistence and thoroughness. Your daughter's grades has been updated to account for the two questions worth 2 points each.

Should you have future concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a wonderful weekend!

:gavel: :grin:

Thank you for bringing your concerns to me on the night of parent conferences regarding your daughter's Chapter 12 test. With the help of the science teachers in her teacher's absence, we have confirmed your thoughts, in that your daughter's answers were correct.

We apologize for the error and thank you for your persistence and thoroughness. Your daughter's grades has been updated to account for the two questions worth 2 points each.

I hope that:

1) The instructor will take more care in the future to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.
2) Your daughter continues to enjoy school (especially Science), and thrives.​

Live Long and Prosper!
Jim

Wow good for you supporting your daughter this way.

My wife is a teacher, and a good one, and our children's teachers know this, so I let her deal with them and she does very well. So far we have had great teachers but there will likely be at least one like this, or worse, and when they cross my wife's path I will almost feel sorry for them...almost!

Not to veer too far off track, but I read your reply and had to laugh . My wife is an operations manager for a rather large call center and has been doing it for quite some time- needless to say she is pretty darn good at it. So when it comes time to deal with someone from a call center , I just give her the phone and smile inside thinking , you have ZERO clue what you just stepped in , about the person on the other end. :D

Back to your regularly scheduled program ........

BTW -To the OP , Its AWESOME your so involved with your daughter and her education- Great Job .

Well, that is great news. Echoing K'Tesh, I hope your daughter can maintain her enthusiasm for science & math.

What was it Mark Twain supposedly said, something like, don't let education interfere with your learning?

I had a similar problem when I was 15/16 while revising for GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) exams in the UK (The results of these national exams determine your study for the next two years before university).

My maths teacher taught us the wrong formula for estimating the area under a line. Fortunately my mother was also a maths teacher (a somewhat better one) and agreed with me - but we had the same issue where the teacher would not listen and we had to escalate to the head of the Math department and the head of the school. The result was that the morning of this national exam - the teacher had to try to explain to everyone in our class that the formula they had revised was incorrect and here was the correct one.

When I found out he was going to be my teacher for the next two years as well I changed schools (with the help of my parents).

P.S. Well done for supporting your daughter - I agree with the posts above that the response does not deal with the fundamental issue (bad teaching + bad attitude) behind the specific case.

Back