ELECTRONIC RECOVERY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chand

Reaction score
Guys please if you can help me with recovery system then thank I want to recover rocket trough a circuit I tried recovery system which estes use but it was disaster if you guys have any circuit then help me
IF YOU HAVE A CIRCUIT WITH NE555 TIMER THEN IT WILL BE MORE USEFUL

Are you trying to do dual deployment? If so, what a lot of people use nowadays is a barometric altimeter. It senses air pressure and uses that to deploy parachutes instead of a timer.

Can you explain more of what you used? Your explanation isn't very clear.

I want to use a single deployment system not dual but using a NE555 timer

I would pick up an RRC2+ for starters. It is brain dead simple and relatively cheap. Set jumpers for altitudes, and which ever combination of apogee (drogue) and lower (main) is connected will fire upon that altitude.

Once you have that working for a few flights, let your homemade computer ride along firing additional charges as backup. Once you are happy with it, you can make it the primary, or remove the commercial unit altogether.

chand, what these guys are saying is that no one really uses timers for chute deployment. There are better, easier, more accurate devices out there. A timer presumes the time when the rocket will reach apogee, and it fires at that time ... but what if the rocket is not at apogee?

Barometric altimeters sense apogee when they see the barometric pressure go down (rocket is rising), stay the same (rocket is at apogee), and go up (rocket is descending).

Is there a particular reason why you are married to the NE555 timer?

Also, your post was very difficult to read due to missing words and punctuation. A few extra seconds in crafting your post will result in more people being willing and able to help you.

For $50, you can buy a dual deployment altimeter that controls drogue charge, main charge, reports altitude, reports battery strength, and reports continuity of charges. I don't know of anyone on these forums that handcrafts timer circuitry to get a parachute out. Motor ejection is essentially timer-based deployment, It just isn't electronic.

How about telling us why your "recovery system which estes use ... was disaster?" Maybe we can save you a lot of time and effort by figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it.

For $50, you can buy a dual deployment altimeter that controls drogue charge, main charge, reports altitude, reports battery strength, and reports continuity of charges. I don't know of anyone on these forums that handcrafts timer circuitry to get a parachute out. Motor ejection is essentially timer-based deployment, It just isn't electronic.

How about telling us why your "recovery system which estes use ... was disaster?" Maybe we can save you a lot of time and effort by figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it.

Or for $20 you can buy a Eggtimer Quark dual deploy altimeter kit.

The nice thing about a eGGtimer Quark [you build it] or a Stratologger CF is they are both relatively inexpensive and if you move on to a different altimeter they can still be utilized as back up altimeters for redundancy because of the small form factor.

Kenny

Last edited:
Maybe he lives someplace the commercial altimeters cannot be shipped.
I used 555 timers I made a very long time ago. They work well and can be made small and light.

M

If you need to use a timer to deploy parachutes, I do hope you're using a sim program to determine time to apogee. Rocksim and/or Open Rocket can be project-savers.

Later!

--Coop

Maybe he lives someplace the commercial altimeters cannot be shipped.
I used 555 timers I made a very long time ago. They work well and can be made small and light.

M

Excatly Clark the place where I live commercial altimeters cannot be shipped so I am thinking to build a NE555 timer if you made one can you give me circuit diagram please

The last time I made one was 25 years ago, I do not know where the diagram is.
Do a search for 555 timer rocket and there are many hits with drawings

Mark

Back