pwned by my dog - a true story

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
All translations are approximate, as my language mastery leaves something to be desired.

On a recent morning, sometime before sunrise...

Dog: "Whine." <Hey.>

Me: Zzzzz

Dog: "Whine!" <Hey!>

Me: "Mgrff" <Wha?>

Dog: "Whine, Whine!" <Get up!>

Me: Looks around. Kera is sleeping on her bed - not her. Buddy sleeping on our bed - not him. Daisy is at the side of the bed looking at me. Whining dog identified.

Dog: "Whine, Whine!" <Get up now!>

Me: Slowly sits up

Dog: Dancing from paw to paw while looking at door outside. "Whine, whine whine whine!!" <Get up, or I'm going to pee on the floor! Timmy's down the well again! Giant meteor headed for the earth! The kid next door is playing with your almost-complete Rose-A-Roc! GET UP!!!>

Me: Climbs out of bed, begin the search for the invisible fence collar - she's an escape artist, and doesn't go out without it.

Dog: Silence

Me: Turns around

Dog: Has climbed onto the bed, and is curled up in the nice warm spot so recently vacated. Head down, eyes closed.

Me: "Well played, dog. Well played."

Me: Since it's 8 minutes before my alarm is scheduled to go off, shuffle off to the kitchen to make coffee, slowly shaking my head.

Last edited:
Yup, my pups do stuff like that to each other. After giving my three pups some treats, one will hide his treat then go to the door and bark when no one is there and when the other two drops their treats and go to the door to see whats going on the first pup will go and get the dropped treats.
I can not leave the bed at night, one or two pups will be in my vacated spot upon my return.

Yes, my dogs do the same thing. The barking at the door really works well when we give them both treats, or, when one of them wants to change dog beds. There is no sleeping on our bed, but that doesn't stop them from coming to bedroom door and whinning to come in. They can't stand it when we cuddle. They just come up to the edge of the bed and stare at us and paw, paw some more and continuing too stare. Repeats as needed until we stop cuddling or pet them.

Funny stuff, we go through the same thing. Deb goes to bed before me and Sammy the wolf lays by the door until I go to bed, Digger the lab is already in bed. When I go to bed Sammy comes into the bedroom and sacks out next to my side of the bed. The Diggs stays in bed between us all night and works her way up to the head of the bed. I hate to say it, but I can't sleep without her next to me. At 4:30 the alarm goes off and my place in bed is full of Lab as soon as I get up. Days off are another matter. At 6A.M. sharp the wolf wants to get the day going. First the bumping of the bed, then the nose in the face. if that doesn't work it's time to get in the bed and on top of me.Ya gotta love 'em !!!

Back up

What in the world gets you out of bed every morning at 4:30???
Gotta be at work at 6:30--, 1/2 hour drive, I leave at 5:30 so I can get big gulp of java and relax for a couple minutes.

We have three dogs, of which two are labs (1 Chocolate, 1 Black). A few years ago, I was in my bedroom chair watching TV (my quiet space) with a bowl of snack sausages. One lab wined at me from one side of the chair. I looked at her and she promptly flipped the bowl out of my hands with her nose. The second lab was on the other side of the chair ready to snarf up all the goods as they came down. The first lab didn't even move after flipping the bowl. All I could think was, no way that was an accident - that was a planned conspiracy! Also, one of these labs has a taste for beer (even though she sneezes afterwards). ANY chance she has to distract me and knock my beer over, she will so she can get at it. Don't be fooled - they are smarter than they appear!

Bassett Hound sleeping on floor
Wife wakes up and by mistake kicks and trips over dog
Dog doesn't move or make a sound
Wife comes in bedroom crying, "the dog is dead"
Comfort wife and say its OK
Dog walks in room as if to say " keep it down, I'm trying to sleep"

Before we had the current set of three, we had a pair of English Foxhounds. Siblings - raised together, surrendered together, we adopted them together.

Anywho, the male would come in to my room at 5 AM, and just stand there looking at me, until I woke up. He was pretty much at face level - standing on the floor he could look me in the face. It was a game, because once I looked at him, I had a finite amount of time to get up and let him out. If not, he'd start with quiet woofs, and escalate until I got up. As we had a newborn at the time, it didn't take much to get me up. I really didn't want him to wake up our daughter or my wife!

He'd go out, then we'd both go back to bed.

Last edited:
When it's raining, the Chihuahua begs to go out. I let her out because I assume that she might be in genuine need and we don't need "accidents" in the house. But in reality all she wants to do is lick the rain puddles in the porch and then come back in. I don't really mind except that most of the time she asks when I am already late for work.

Thankfully our 95lb Lab/Mastiff mix has not figured out he can jump. He tries to climb up on the bed and rarely makes it. This, however, does not stop him from getting me up between 4 and 4:30 everyday to go out for his morning swim in the pond. He comes over, stands next to the bed. If that does not do the trick, then he will get the front part of his body on the bed which is generally enough disturbance to wake me.

Back