Glad I won't have to pay $100 for this kit. Honest John is back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8Xedge

Reaction score
imagejpeg

There are two of these beasties on the way to me as we speak! Since you're new around here and missed all of the discussion when the kit was announced a few months back, I will take this opportunity to point out that this is a 100% new Honest John kit, and not the larger 1/9 scale kit offered by Estes in the late '70s and again in the '90s. Still way cool, though.

I would be remiss if I failed to point out that our own Sandman offers a decal set that will allow builders to recreate the paint and markings scheme of the earlier Estes release. See:

https://www.sandmandecals.com/product.php?id_product=813

James

I got a chance to see this kit up close and personal over the weekend. It looks to be well designed with nice detailing in the nose cone and tail. It's on my to-buy-build list for sure.

Glad this is coming out. Always wanted one, and it irked me when Estes released only the mini-kit a few years back.

Last edited:
Samb, thanks, I read that thread on the YOR forum and that's why I was asking. Looking at the picture and description on the Estes site, I wasn't able to tell if it was the same as the pre-production model. There was no mention of the boattail or TTW fins. Think I'm going to pick one up to add to my winter projects.

Samb, thanks, I read that thread on the YOR forum and that's why I was asking. Looking at the picture and description on the Estes site, I wasn't able to tell if it was the same as the pre-production model. There was no mention of the boattail or TTW fins. Think I'm going to pick one up to add to my winter projects.

Hmmm... I see pictures of the boattail in post #4, 8, and 33. Anyway, the plastic parts are now white as you would expect and nicely molded. By all means, get one !

[edit] Ok you were referring to the sparse parts description on the Estes web page. Yes, the boattail is part of the kit. If the fin tabs are still a little short of the motor tube, as mentioned in post #33, adding a small shim piece is no problem. But I trust that John has that sorted out now.

Last edited:
Yeah, the kit I saw definitely comes with a boat tail. Both that and the nose cone are white unlike the pictures shown in the posted link by samb.

More parts pics:

The nose cone is 10 1/2 inches exposed with a 1 1/2 inch shoulder, the boattail is about 3 7/8 inches exposed, and the tube is 9 1/8 inches long. John Boren has put together all the ingredients for an outstanding sport scale model.

HJ 72440 a.jpg

HJ 7249 b.jpg

Last edited:
I totally love the paint scheme on this and glad they included some stickers to make it easier to duplicate as I have no finishing skills whatsoever :p.

Ok, I'm glad it has balsa fins, instead of those vacuform fins, but what are the other patterns for? Making the airfoil on the fins?
Just curious.
Edit: Just looked at the YORF thread, and answered my own question. Looks like a bugger to sand, but still, not vacuform (I don't like 'em for some reason).

Adrian

Last edited:
I totally love the paint scheme on this and glad they included some stickers to make it easier to duplicate as I have no finishing skills whatsoever :p.

Question for John Boren: are the markings recommended for the new Honest John kit based on an actual flown or displayed round? Extensive googling has failed to turn up any photos of an actual HJ with this paint pattern. If you have a photo upon which the new model was based, would you mind sharing it here?

The NAR Sport Scale rules require that paint patterns and markings be properly documented in order to receive as many points as possible. It would be unfortunate for a competition newbie to paint the model as suggested by the instructions, only to learn that they would be unable to properly document the paint scheme in accordance with the rules.

James

Question for John Boren: are the markings recommended for the new Honest John kit based on an actual flown or displayed round? Extensive googling has failed to turn up any photos of an actual HJ with this paint pattern. If you have a photo upon which the new model was based, would you mind sharing it here?

The NAR Sport Scale rules require that paint patterns and markings be properly documented in order to receive as many points as possible. It would be unfortunate for a competition newbie to paint the model as suggested by the instructions, only to learn that they would be unable to properly document the paint scheme in accordance with the rules.

James

Here is a link from the YORF thread https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/r-1.html,
From John Boren. I read the hole YORF thread on this kit. Hope this helps.

Adrian

Ok, I'm glad it has balsa fins, instead of those vacuform fins, but what are the other patterns for? Making the airfoil on the fins?
Just curious.
Edit: Just looked at the YORF thread, and answered my own question. Looks like a bugger to sand, but still, not vacuform (I don't like 'em for some reason).

Adrian

Yeah, posts #32 and 33 have some pictures of the fins. I agree about the old vacu-form fins - bugger is the word ! That YORF thread has alot of good info and tips. Post #13 has link to a Chris Michielssen ("hcmbanjo") tutorial on airfoil sanding; good stuff. Big thanks to "frognbuff" for starting the thread and taking the time to document his build.

Here is a link from the YORF thread https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/r-1.html,
From John Boren. I read the hole YORF thread on this kit. Hope this helps.

Yep, I'm familiar with the paint schemes presented on that page (my mini HoJo carries the orange/white/black scheme as shown there). Unfortunately, neither of those patterns match the scheme presented in the packaging and instructions for the new HJ kit.

Is the kit shipping with a spurious, made-up scheme? That's cool, I'd just like to clarify if that is indeed the case in order to save potential Sport Scale competitors pain going forward.

(I'm also familiar with the licensing issues that prevented Estes from shipping the kit with the markings included in the older 1/9 scale kit.)

James

Last edited:
Yep, I'm familiar with the paint schemes presented on that page (my mini HoJo carries the orange/white/black scheme as shown there). Unfortunately, neither of those patterns match the scheme presented in the packaging and instructions for the new HJ kit.

Is the kit shipping with a spurious, made-up scheme? That's cool, I'd just like to clarify is that is indeed the case in order to save potential Sport Scale competitors pain going forward.

(I'm also familiar with the licensing issues that prevented Estes from shipping the kit with the markings included in the older 1/9 scale kit.)

James

Sorry, wasn't really looking that close, watching reruns of Dr Who.... Just saw the red and white...:facepalm:

Adrian

Yeah, I can't stand vacuformed fins. However, the 'balsa'd' air foiling looks like a challenge; at least for me :).

Back