Slicing Out Liners?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting better at this, little by little.

Knocked apart a 75/7600 last weekend and while the closure came out pretty easily, the nozzle wouldn't budge. After recently damaging a nozzle from trying to pound it out, I was queasy about doing that again. So I made a mini-winch using a short length of all-thread rod and a plywood disk - ran the all-thread through the nozzle, butted the wood disk up against the inside of the nozzle, and stated winching. Bam, nozzle popped right out needing NO pounding whatsoever.

Before removing the liner, I re-inserted the forward closure and filled the case with boiling water. This seemed to work very well in both expanding the case AND softening/eating into the liner. Let soak for ~30 minutes, drain water, and bust out the PVC splitter. The liner ends were pretty well mushroomed, so the usual winch trick didn't work this time, unfortunately. With the softened liner, the splitter worked MUCH better, separating it from the case and allowing me to remove it piece-by-piece with a little patience.

Obviously still not ideal, but getting way better and such is the nature of flying ~10% aluminum loads!

I'm trying to find out what happened to Trucore (rocketsaway.com). Their website is down and emails undeliverable.
I'm not sure - but I thought he was going out of business?

I did a slightly different version of the allthread idea to press out the liner. This was a 38/720 dr. rocket that was lost in a field for a few months and in liner was stuck badly. I flipped around an aerotech floating forward closure so the charge well was inside the liner. Placed a dowel inside the delay area and hit with a hammer. Only took about 10 hits and it was out!

I use the all thread method, no splitters. Works great. Liner comes out in one piece. TRUCORE is gone, Ed sold everything. Current owner doesn't do any metalworking.

Last edited:
Back