LiPro question for Estes PS 2 launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjgamer

Reaction score
Hi guys- need a bit of help. I recently got a PS 2 controller on sale. I mostly launch Low Power, but have recently built an Argent and am building a Partizon, and would like to be able to launch them. Hence- after reading a bit I bought a LiPro battery to power the PS2 controller for the extra power to ignite the Aerotech motors.

Now my issue- I thought I read up and bought the correct thing, but the connector from the battery is about twice the size as the connection in the battery compartment of the PS2 controller.
Here is the battery I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UZD4Q8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Looking at the small connector (the big one is for charging or RC Cars- which I can still use it for if needed) it's got 4 wires going into it, and I'm guessing the pin in the controller accepts one with 2 wires? based on it's size.

Any help would be appreciated, or links to products or connectors that would make it work.

Thank You

(currently Bummed that we have lots of wind on the east coast, because I was going to be launching a bunch of LPR for my kids tomorrow. Blah.

Last edited by a moderator:
the small connector is for balancing the cells in the pack, it is unsuited for your purpose. you will need to make/buy an adaptor to go from the universal plug on the cell pack to the 'jst' jack on the launch controller. any hobby shop that handles RC stuff should have the various plugs (they might even have a premade adaptor).
Rex

the small connector is for balancing the cells in the pack, it is unsuited for your purpose. you will need to make/buy an adaptor to go from the universal plug on the cell pack to the 'jst' jack on the launch controller. any hobby shop that handles RC stuff should have the various plugs (they might even have a premade adaptor).
Rex

so something like this will plug into the controller?

https://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYPR8&P=7
And then it's a matter of getting something to plug into the battery that I can then solder together?

OK, that's a much better solution. So confusing to me.
I can use the other battery on one of our RC cars anyway!

OK, that's a much better solution. So confusing to me.
I can use the other battery on one of our RC cars anyway!

I have the same controller, but I went with the six "c" batteries in mine. Make sure to read the book. It should say how many cells and what mAh you'll need. Pretty sure I linked to the proper one

Yeah, I'll be using the C cells for now, But I want the option to launch the F motors with copperheads, and read that the C cells won't do that.
I really like the increased wire length and gauge of wire.

How do you like it?

I love mine. I really like the audible alarm. The "C" cells will definitely be good enough for the F motors. I've used mine for a lot of F & G motors.

FWIW I bought a 3s 11.1v 2200mah lipo pack today at hobby people for 19.99 on sale and it fits perfect. Only mod needed is either soldering inline a Jst plug and charge through the dean's or making a dean's male to Jst plug adapter to fit the controller.

After years of using a 12 V Gel Cell (4.5 to 7 amp sizes) for my controllers since the early 1990's, the last few years I've switched to the same thing, 3S 11.1v 2200 mAh Lipo's. In my case, I've been using them mainly for electric powered planes (Like Radians), with a good charger already, so I started using the 2200 mAh Lipos and found they work very well.

If it is used alone an not mounted inside, I do recommend using a fireproof Lipo bag like the one below. $4 to 5 or so on eBay. I like the red one so it is more easily seen when laid on the ground, less likely to get stepped on, and more easily found among a box of "stuff" than a loose Lipo pack. Also like using the bag to isolate the battery against a short or other stupid accident during transport.

YI23Bv8.jpg

I've never had a Lipo fire, but the time to get and use one of these bags is to be prepared for the potential, not AFTER a fire. Likewise, the part of the workshop where I charge LiPo's, the tabletop area for charging has some ceramic tiles on it. Also a wire type of shelf above the charging area no longer has anything flammable on it, no cardboard boxes or plastic, which used to be there (above where a burning battery might ignite them) before I improved the safety of the area. I did that after reading about a guy who had an LiPo fire while charging, which ruined a few thousand dollars of R/C stuff (pretty much all his R/C stuff fried)), damaged his car, and damaged his workshop (without a smoke alarm, he'd have lost his whole garage and possibly worse). Oh, yeah, one of two workshop fire extinguishers is a few feet from the charging area (extinguisher in between that and where I do soldering work), the other extinguisher is just inside of the workshop door.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Back