Rocket uses for the A10-PT engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirNomad

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone had ideas for rocketry uses (besides those cars) for the A10-PT rocket motors. One of the walmarts near me has dozens and dozens of packages that they'll be clearing out soon since Christmas stuff is coming in. What are your thoughts? Would I want to try making a custom rocket? What are the best sources for tubes? Nose cones?

-Michael

My first thought is tumble recovery paper rockets (A. Applewhite), come to mind. then two stage, 13mm clusters,

Side mounted boosters, a Titan arrangement for clusters. One of my favorite 3 engine alignments, 3 in a row. Even with a 18mm central and two 13mm's on the side. I used 3 Estes igniters and a "buss bar" arrangement to ignite the motors, never had an ignition failure :)

I believe the initial purpose was those little rocket race cars Estes made.

Nate

Rocket gliders (where there is no pod detached).

Rich, the SLV's outboard pods are 18mm..... :)

13mm would be good, the 18mm even better, I forgot the side pods were BT-50s iirc. Will a 18mm fit in the fake nozzles?

They are perfect for 13mm cluster motors. You really only need one ejection charge and because they are plugged, no venting is required. I used them for outboard motors on an A-Clustered Altitude model using an A8-5 for the central motor (18mm central BT with 4 13mm boosters spaced around it).

I also like using them in the Tasmanian Devil.

A10-PT motors are OK but a bit heavier then necessary for most 13mm Cluster applications better choice for clustered models is A10-0T but the -PT motors do work as long as you have a reliable Core motor with ejection charge to deploy the recovery system.

Tucson, AZ...and it'll be a while before I make it through SLC!

It just occurred to me I should check with some of the folks in the stake sponsored scout programs here if they know where I can pick up bulk motors at a good price. ;-)

-Michael in Tucson AZ

Dave I couldn't find any picutres of the "Wild Thing" or "Lil Wild Thing" online...either my google-fu is weak or I'm just not managing for some other reason.

Bt-70 based central 18mm surrounded by 7 13mm.
https://www.northstarrocketry.org.uk/irw/00/sunday/lwt.jpg

Airframe Diameter 56mm(2.22 inches)
Total Length 660mm / 66 cm(26 inches / 2 feet 2 inches)
Dry Weight(i.e. without motor) 154 grams(5.5 ounces)
Motor Mount 1 x 18mm, 7 x 13mm)
Number of Fins 7(through the wall fin attachment)
Maximum Altitude TBD
Number of Stages Single Stage
Deployment System Single stage
Nosecone Tangential Ogive (Turned Balsa)
Parachute(s) 1 x 24 inch nylon parachute
Airframe Material Cardboard
Fin Material Fibreglass
Launch Lugs 2 x (1/8"x1/4")

I used these on my initial version of the Delta II kit using a 18mm core. The current 24mm version could easily use these too. The 18mm on a C6 and 9 of these got up and went!

-Carl-

2010-08-14-11-27-00004.jpg

Used four of them on my Estes Maxi-Brute STAR WARS X-Wing along with a D12-5. Worked great!

100B2473_sized.jpg

100B2471_sized.jpg

100B2470a_sized.jpg

First of all, hello everyone. This is my first post ever. All very interesting/encouraging/innovative comments.

Now to the discussion: I built a saucer with two A10-PT using paper plates (saucers?). I was having trouble finding a way to avoid getting the ejection charge not to interfere, and I saw them and mounted them. It was an experiment, and it flew about 15'. I plan to add more in the near future and add some electronics.

Well, we built some Applewhite card stock models, they did well...but I lost my favorite of the Cincos (that I'd built larger to use 18mm motors) yesterday afternoon...it sure was an interesting flight on the C6-5! The A10-PTs are good little motors for the flying saucers! We used metallic cardstock I found at Dollar Tree and printed the outlines on the reverse sides. :)

Latest posts

Back