Masking tape around launch rod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante_A-20_DEMON

Reaction score
Just bought a couple Estes model rocket Kits. One kit for the TWISTER says at launch, to wrap a piece of masking tape around the launch rod 8 inches up from the blast plate Never heard of this or the reason for it. I'm a BAR so not familiar with this since i've been on hiatus from the hobby for 20 years and just got back into it. Why do the instructions they say to do this? just curious, thanks. Doing this just stops the rod from going through the launch rod on some rockets. Sorry if this seems so silly or obvious to ask. : )

Last edited:
It's to make a standoff for the rocket so the fins won't get scorched by back blast. Also, if you've put the igniter plug in correctly, raising the rocket off the blast deflector will cause the leads to hang and prevent them from shorting out on the metal plate.

Just wrap tape around low enough that the fins are 1-2 inches off of the plate, that's usually more than enough. You don't have to wrap it around thick, I usually make a V shape, which allows the launch lug to rest on the legs of the V. You don't want to do it too far up the rod, you want to get as much velocity ON the rod to ensure stability before you clear the rod. That's why most people who stick with the hobby end up replacing the stock rod with a 36 inch piece of music wire from the hobby store.

Some folks go fancy and use a spare alligator clamp, or use the Odd'l Rocket spring.

raise_assembled.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for your replies so far, makes sense. When i think about it, i do recall the fins and or leads almost touching the deflector plate before during my launches. It never occurred to me that this could be a negative issue, leads touching the plate could cause a short, burn fins, etc. :) After all, we put a lot of time and effort building and painting our rockets, so anything to keep avoidable damage away is great to know, thanks again!

Last edited:
Just remember to remove the tape as soon as you don't need it any more - you don't want it to stay on there too long or it will leave a sticky residue on the rod that could cause a launch lug to bind on the rod.

Yeah... sticky things, heat and launch rods don't play well together... This is what clothespins are for.

There are any number of ways to make adjustable Launch rod stand-off spacers. Generally about 3" from the Bottom of the model is more then enough.
Cheapest and easiest that doesn't leave the Tape adhesive mess is using spent 18mm motor casing. Just drill out an 1/8 or 3/16" hole in the nozzle and slip over the end of the rod. The bottom of your model should sit right on the edge. Estes suggested 8" up is WAY to far, unless they are looking at the tape stopping the model at a mid-point mounted Launch lug? Most clubs use standard wooden cloths pins which can be adjusted to suit the flyer. then there are aluminum spacer/stops with nylon thumbscrews for up to 1/4" rods with 2 or 3 thumbscrews for LPR and MPR models Up to about 3.3lbs.

LaunchRod Stops-h-sm_finished 2 -1.25in & 2 - 2in_06-22-07.jpg

The problem with tape is that just about every Estes rocket has a slightly different "optimal" tape height, and you end up needing a separate rod for each rocket you own. Really, a wood clothespin is all you need.

Latest posts

Back