New Fabrication Lab Access

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
My robotics team that I am on just got access to their new lab space.... I got a tour last night. I was floored at what they have in there....

We have:
Shopbot (4'x8')
Shopbot (4'x4')
CNC Mill
CNC Lathe
Plastic Thermoformer
3D Printers
30 Watt Laser
Oscilloscope
Full selection of hand tools

The best news is? After taking a class on the tools, I have full access to all of the tools :) Finally all of these CAD files I have will have a use :p

Matt,
That's great news! It seems to be the trend once support is found. Our team will be disconnecting from the school district and moving into our own facility (under our own 501c3 non-profit). We will have:

-Full size practice field
-Machine shop with manual & CNC lathes & mills, including a large (can't remember if 5 or 6 axis) machining center
-Welding area
-Open build area
-Classroom/meeting space
-Separate computer rooms for software development and CAD (16 Solidworks workstations that I'm throwing together)
-Kitchen and restrooms

We're supposed to move in sometime in November. It's not going to be an easy transition, as our lead mentor will be out of the country for 6 months (from now until just before our regional) Ouch! It's my son's senior year on the team, so should be exciting. Hope the game is a good one this year.
-Ken

I am curious how these shops are funded. It this through the school district or private and what is the cost for the members?

I used to use a shop in Denver where they had a nice setup with with a wood shop, CNC router, machine shop, laser, welding shop, auto shop, etc. He hosted make groups and robotic teams but was not able to sustain as a business model and had to close after about 4 years. I could not justify a month to month rental but I did rent time there as needed.

I love the idea of shops like that because us high rise dwellers just can't plop a CNC router in the middle of the living room.

I think it is great that you are going to have access to this equipment.

I love the idea of shops like that because us high rise dwellers just can't plop a CNC router in the middle of the living room.

A Techshop location opened here in Austin about three years ago. Access to the tools there has completely revolutionized my approach to rocket projects. It should come as no surprise that the laser cutter is my most frequently chosen weapon of choice.

At $1300 a year the membership fee isn't cheap, but it is a good value for what you get.

https://www.techshop.ws

James

A Techshop location opened here in Austin about three years ago. Access to the tools there has completely revolutionized my approach to rocket projects. It should come as no surprise that the laser cutter is my most frequently chosen weapon of choice.

At $1300 a year the membership fee isn't cheap, but it is a good value for what you get.

https://www.techshop.ws

James

That is a good deal if it is unlimited access.

At that Denver shop the laser cutter was the most popular tool. There was guy there cutting gingerbread for projects.

I am curious how these shops are funded. It this through the school district or private and what is the cost for the members?

I used to use a shop in Denver where they had a nice setup with with a wood shop, CNC router, machine shop, laser, welding shop, auto shop, etc. He hosted make groups and robotic teams but was not able to sustain as a business model and had to close after about 4 years. I could not justify a month to month rental but I did rent time there as needed.

I think it is great that you are going to have access to this equipment.

The school is a state funded school (North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics).

It's a BYOM policy (bring your own materials). As long as you have training on the tools it is free to use.

Our robotics team is not school funded. We run off corporate sponsorship, private donations, fundraisers (running various tech-oriented summer programs, etc.), and annual student dues. A good part of our new facility is funded by the fact that 1/2 of the building will be occupied by other (rent-paying) businesses. Hopefully, continuing team success will keep the sponsorship money flowing.
-Ken

This is the inside before refit began:
UACR%20HQ%20Interior.jpg

Last edited:
That space looks nice. I hope that they can keep the money flowing to keep it operational.

Back