F-35 ejection seat problems?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Somebody help me here !!! The F-35 ejection seat "might" lean too far forward for pilots weighing less than 136 lbs. " Potentially" causing back and neck injury. That's one out of the 215 current test pilots !!! The F-35 is designed for a pilot from 109 lbs( this guy/gal, is already dead), on up. So------ instead of redesigning the system, why don't we just restrict the the physical profiles of the pilots???? This bad news for the F-35 is beginning to be such H.S.

Looks like the the Martin Baker seat isn't working out so well.
Should have went with the ACES seat.

I am currently a parachute rigger for the Air Force, and I could give you a laundry list of Martin-Baker problems!
The seats don't even have a manual (read as non-explosive) parachute deployment method like the ACES II had if the mortar failed!
So seat comes out of the aircraft drogue deploys and head box mortar fails = dead pilot.
I could go on but I won't.

Aces III, anyone? Or, the Russian K-36DM is reportedly even better. Part of the blame goes to the damn B model, since the Marines HAD to have an automatic ejection feature. SO, MB put a Vmax like motor in to make such a marginal envelope doable...without thought to pilots under a certain weight where this monster rocket motor would snap their neck.

At least the MB seat is easy on maintenance (so far). Comes out in a top half and bottom half--easier than Aces II to remove from a jet. Of course, the forward hinged canopy helps tremendously.

I worked on the F-111E, and the EF-111A pigs... Why trust an ejection "seat" when you could eject the entire cockpit?

Of course, you do realize I'm kidding here (Not about the working the Earth Pig tho).

Back