Estes Announces 1/45 Little Joe II !!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the time to send models out for this. For the Little Joe's I built two models the first day and test flew them the next day. Did this type of build for six of them. For most other kits I build six at a time, paint them and test fly all six of them at the same time. Before a kit is released we do this type of flight testing one last time in the hopes that if anything shows up that needs to be changed it gets changed before the kit production. Trust I would love to be able to have others build of these flight models. I hate nothing more then to build six skill level 4 or 5 kit's all at the same time.

John Boren

Did anyone notice at the bottom of the page is the HoJo? In 1/14 scale? Coming soon? Or already here?

I don't have the time to send models out for this. For the Little Joe's I built two models the first day and test flew them the next day. Did this type of build for six of them. For most other kits I build six at a time, paint them and test fly all six of them at the same time. Before a kit is released we do this type of flight testing one last time in the hopes that if anything shows up that needs to be changed it gets changed before the kit production. Trust I would love to be able to have others build of these flight models. I hate nothing more then to build six skill level 4 or 5 kit's all at the same time.
John Boren

I understand. If you change your mind in the future, I could save you the hassle of shipping. I'd drive down from Fort Collins to pick one up. Just text me the drop off location, and leave in a plain paper bag so as to not raise any suspicions!

Of course if the parts are going to be made in China, I *might* be able to save you having to ship them over the pond. And besides, I'll really be an early tester (I'll be a day ahead of you). :wink:

Now, If I could only get the word on my work visa.

Does anyone know where we could get some chrome Corrugated wrap like was on the Centuri kit?

This is beyond great news, the wrap detail looks fantastic. I was pondering building one of my old BT101 kits the other day, this will save me an awful lot of re-casting parts. Nice to see that Estes has shifted away from the old Barry Tunick model of marketing.

Terry Kosel

This is beyond great news, the wrap detail looks fantastic. I was pondering building one of my old BT101 kits the other day, this will save me an awful lot of re-casting parts. Nice to see that Estes has shifted away from the old Barry Tunick model of marketing.

Terry Kosel

You had an awesome kit available back in the day. Although more heavy than the new Estes kit I flew the heck out of mine on 24mm reloadable Aerotech motors.

I scratch-built a 1:70 scale Little Joe II, two 1:48 scale papercraft models, and possess the Cox, Semroc, and Estes OOP 1:100 kits. Will definitely add the new release to my fleet.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, got notified today by e-mail from AC Supply, date has now been moved to Jan. 15th 2016.

Really not a surprise in today's world. We will just have to wait. That kit is worth the wait that is for sure.

Last edited:
Got this notification from AC Supply that I signed up for:

The Estes Little Joe will be in our warehouse no later than Wednesday Jan 20, 2016
We are now taking orders, first come, first served. We do have a good batch coming!
Any order with the 7227 Little Joe ordered will be held and shipped when they arrive on Wednesday.
You may order at the following link
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_rockets2004fallnew.htm

I ordered three Little Joes ($29.95 each) and two 2-packs of D12-3's to get the free shipping when ordering over $100.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up George, as I didn't get the notification. Order is in, as well as just enough other kits that I'd been meaning to get to qualify for the free shipping.

what are your thoughts on a 29mm motor mount in this model?

Sorry, I'm not George, but I have built seven of these models and did a lot of test flying.

Below is an image of the Estes Little Joe II bottom. The image on the left shows the 24mm motor mount and the six molded nozzles. The image on the Right shows a Red circle the size of a 29mm motor tube. You would need to cut away part of the each molded nozzle to get this motor mount to fit. You would most likely need to reinforce the centering rings to withstand the 29mm F motor. You would also need to add extra nose weight to get the model to balance in the correct location which is stated in the instruction manual. You would also need a much larger field to fly the model in since it's going to fly a lot higher.

The little Joe II screams off the pad with the E30 motor, I hate to think what an F engine would do, but for those who will upgrade the motor power in this model, please take a flight video to share with the rest of us.

John Boren

LJ29mm.JPG

Sorry, I'm not George, but I have built seven of these models and did a lot of test flying.

Below is an image of the Estes Little Joe II bottom. The image on the left shows the 24mm motor mount and the six molded nozzles. The image on the Right shows a Red circle the size of a 29mm motor tube. You would need to cut away part of the each molded nozzle to get this motor mount to fit. You would most likely need to reinforce the centering rings to withstand the 29mm F motor. You would also need to add extra nose weight to get the model to balance in the correct location which is stated in the instruction manual. You would also need a much larger field to fly the model in since it's going to fly a lot higher.

The little Joe II screams off the pad with the E30 motor, I hate to think what an F engine would do, but for those who will upgrade the motor power in this model, please take a flight video to share with the rest of us.

John Boren

I suppose the kit updater gets an opinion as well....:)

Nose weight to keep the correct CG/CP relationship is a given. Not a problem.

A larger recovery field is a given. Not a problem.

Some balsa stringers to support the thin centering rings is not going to be an issue.

Aware of the physical size effects from seeing the same 29mm motor diagram in the end of the LJII over on YORF. I see a possible way to not have to have the 29mm mod affect the fake nozzles. Add an additional thin centering ring just ahead of the aft centering ring with the fake nozzles attached. Make the aft centering ring with the nozzles removable for 29mm flights. Keep the fake nozzle assembly in place for 24mm flights. Obviously will have to see the kit first to be sure that this mod will work.

Personally am not a huge fan of Blue Thunder motors. I like a longer duration burn and a nice dense white smoke trail.

Not all 29 MM motors are under consideration by me, but I think the 29mm F20-4 Econojet with around 52 N-sec total impulse and just 33 grams more weight than the E30 might be a fun choice for the LJII and not insanely over the top in terms of power or extra weight. Other propellant formulas in that same Econojet case might also be fun.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Estes would only recommend the E30, given the trends we've seen regarding PSII motors. Especially since several retailers that I've looked at are already showing it as OOP, I've been stocking up where I could find them. Did the LJ2 always show that? I'd thought it initially showed D12 and E12 motor recommendations...

It's interesting that Estes would only recommend the E30, given the trends we've seen regarding PSII motors. Especially since several retailers that I've looked at are already showing it as OOP, I've been stocking up where I could find them. Did the LJ2 always show that? I'd thought it initially showed D12 and E12 motor recommendations...

That's what I saw as well. I'm thinking of using Aerotech Single Use E20-4W motors on mine. A fairly draggy design like this at close to 10 ounces might get interesting on a D12-3.

It'
s interesting that Estes would only recommend the E30

It was either recommending this motor of KILLING the Kit. As usual the prototype was flown on both D12 and E12 motors and flew just fine. When I built six models of PP kit samples we had two flights that didn't fly so well, while many of fights were perfect. Didn't fly so well as in the kind of flight were the model is on the ground and then the recovery system comes out. Since there was NO way of determining what the exact cause of these two poor flight were we upped the motor to the only other motor Estes carries and hopefully will continue to carry which is the E30. Now the Little Joe leaves the pad so fast it can't help but fly straight. I would say just about any 24mm composite motor in the E15 and up impulse class should work just fine, but this is me saying this NOT Estes.

John Boren

Back