Mid week rocket launch. US 60 Arizona area

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyed

Reaction score
Going for monthly mid week flying...A couple of us NAR members have found a great launch site. Off of US60 and south of Apache Junction Arzona on some state trust land off SR79 . You need an easily obtained permit. $15 for individual or $20 for family valid one year from issue. We fly class 1/rockets. No waivered launching unless you can get the waiver. We are following NAR safety codes model and high power for model / class 1 rockets. We work most weekends so its a bit hard to make the club launches so we fly mid week. Tues. Or wed. If any NAR/TRIPOLY members would like to join in. Although we cant say you need membership we just want it safe and insured by each flyer. Send me a pm or reply here and I will respond with info so you can join in our MID- WEEK FUN LAUNCH. We have no schedules just agreed launch dates and times . We have plenty of equipment. We just want safety . These are some pics from our most recent launch**************** Check AZLAND.GOV for permits

IMG_20150930_100743_210.jpg

IMG_20150930_093616_862.jpg

IMG_20150930_094154_959.jpg

IMG_20150930_094833_251.jpg

IMG_20150930_094153_052.jpg

2.png

3.png

Last edited:
The pics above are from wed. Sep 30. We flew 2 F motors and 2 H motors. The F motor rockets off the1/4 inch rod and the H motors off the 1010 rail.That Aerotech Mirage of mine was pretty cool on an Aeotech H115 DM.Sparky. I under estimated the power and delay so I had a separation. No damage as the dual deployment brought the upper airframe in safely. The fin can fluttered in with no damage. Brett's Mega der green max had a great flight on a cesaroni H151 redline. No pics though darn it. Awesome red flame as long as the rocket. We had some good walking to do so that with the warm temps kept us at four shots. Plus I forgot Valerie's umbrella. . We had a great time. As the weather cools we look forward to more fun and more time at the mid week launch site.

A couple more pics of the area and a previous launch. The maintained dirt roads into the site are fairly easy by car or truck. I will post when we have another date in mind. Nov. 03 or 04...or?? Oct 13 or 14 might happen as well. If interested.. send me a message.**** The site is 55mins east and south from I-10 and the 60 (superstition freeway)***** . A thru H motors level 1 and safe. Bring fire suppression and anything else you need to be safe for yourself and the land. And get the State trust land use permit. It takes about 6 days from the day you mail your $15 for individual $20 for family and is valid 1yr from issue. look online-- AZ state trust land permit. Easy

IMG_20150602_105451_952.jpg

IMG_20150602_085406_402.jpg

100_1661.jpg

Last edited:
Another pic of our rail launcher and superstitions in the background .Ed and Brett checking the rail.. First time use.

IMG_20150930_090101_008.jpg

IMG_20150930_093735_256.jpg

IMG_20150930_092114_600.jpg

class 1 = 3.3lbs or less. rocket. loaded with motor and 125g or less propellant weight

Last edited:
lol..Absolutly right / ...ooops I had both in my first post... ...Fixing that and thanks

Last edited:
We are heading out to fly At the site off SR79 south of the US60. Nov 03 Tues 8am (ish) Will be flying class1 rockets . We have equipment/rods and 1010 rail. If you have an AZ state land permit come on out. If you need the permit , it only takes AZ State 5 days to get it to you. coordinates are
N33.1872
W111.334446
50mins east and south from US60 and I10 stack.
The deputies do stop in out there so if you come out...have your permit.

I work with the staff at Arizona State Trust Lands on a weekly basis. When the SSS lost the Rainbow Valley site various members of the club, including myself tried to find a new site on State Trust lands with no success. I can appreciate your excitement at finding a place to launch but would like to apprise you of a potential issue concerning encouraging additional people to join you in your use of the state trust land for your rocket launching.

From the FAQ section (combined from several faq's) at https://land.az.gov/faq/general-faq

Your recreation permit allows you to enjoy non-consumptive recreational activities including: hiking, horseback riding, bicycling, picnics, photography, bird watching, sightseeing, camping (limited to 14 days per year), and limited off highway vehicle use (restricted to designated roads and trails), for non-commercial and non-competitive purposes.
A Trust Land Recreation Permit does not permit target shooting, paintball, airsoft, recreational flying (i.e. ultralite aircraft), vehicular 'rock hopping', sand railing, fireworks, or congregating in groups larger than 19 people. Recreation permits are an accommodation made by the Department to casual non-consumptive recreational users. Recreation Permits were never intended to permit large events that have a consumptive impact on the land and that sometimes impact our grazing lessees. If the group is 20 people or more, then the group must apply for a Special Land Use Permit.

At times the SLD has lumped launching rockets in with fireworks, but I have never found an actual written determination. You may or may not ever run into an issue with it since it seems to depend on the ranger. But you will run into an issue with having over 19 people. The fee for a Special Land Use Permit (SLUP) is $300.

Many people, including myself, have launched class one rockets on State Trust lands with no issues. The issue is having more than 19 people when the SLD ranger come by to check permits. I was once part of a group camping on state trust lands where the ranger came by and counted heads so I know from experience that it can happen.

Have fun but be aware there is this restriction on the number of people which includes ALL the people there, regardless whether they are launching rockets or not.

Thank you kindly for the info....We really don't expect to see more than a few flyers out here including spectators. Especially it being a weekday thing and the permit requirements. A Deputy Sheriff has been out , checked permits and wished us well (although not an SLD Ranger)So for our once in awhile midweek launches the spot seems pretty good. We just figure there might be other rocketeers that have trouble making the weekend NAR TRA launches and would enjoy the company of other flyers.They are welcome to visit and fly with us. Its always extra fun to watch and fly with a group.If by chance 19 or more people show up on a day we are there, we would have to split up or do whatever it takes to stay within the law and rules .I'm sure all would agree being under the rules of the permits. Any further info or advise is appreciated..:) Thanks again. Ed

Last edited:
We had a pretty good start to our launch Tuesday. Brett had the site set up when we arrived Canopy. Fire line. Pads. Fire suppression. First aid. PA system. 2Way radios. Binoculars. The winds did not remain calm. By the time we had our test flights and into mid power the wind picked up to a steady 18 mph. So for safety we shut down the flying. We got 1 A10- 2 E9 - and 2 F50 flights in. But it was a great time and great company and conversation. We look forward to our next midweek fun launch at this site December. Our midweek fly will be at the SARA site in Tucson.

IMG_20151103_105123_897.jpg

IMG_20151103_092107_889.jpg

IMG_20151103_092049_229.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151103_101120_587.jpg
    IMG_20151103_101120_587.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20151103_092804_967.jpg
    IMG_20151103_092804_967.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20151103_105755_578.jpg
    IMG_20151103_105755_578.jpg