Jolly Logic Chute Release Test Flight Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beans

Founder, Jolly Logic
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After learning a great deal from initial flights Saturday, we made some necessary tweaks and had a great day of flying today.

Check out the complete flight report here, including video.

We're expanding to more testing sites, so we're looking forward to finding new tweaks we can make to improve it further.

I must say, this is a fun gadget to use. Adds a whole new element of control that only dual-deploy setups have enjoyed until now. I'm liking how close this thing lets you land!

You know......... Midwest Power is coming up soon. I'd love to see you there testing/demonstrating your new doohickey... :D ... And I just happen to have a number of rockets you could use it to test with... ;-)

You know......... Midwest Power is coming up soon. I'd love to see you there testing/demonstrating your new doohickey... :D ... And I just happen to have a number of rockets you could use it to test with... ;-)

Yes, nothing like a marketing & promotion trip write off!

If this performs as advertised (and there's no reason to believe that it won't), it'll revolutionize small fields/big rockets forever. What once was a LPR field only will suddenly be small to mid MPR capable. I didn't think that I needed one of these things, then I saw the video.

WANT :)

Wow! Congratulations on such a great design and such a short walk. Is the concept that the rocket and rolled chute hit relatively low terminal velocity to still be a safe chute opening? And also have less drift, acting as a drogue chute for larger rockets?

Would love to buy one when testing is complete.

Wow! Congratulations on such a great design and such a short walk. Is the concept that the rocket and rolled chute hit relatively low terminal velocity to still be a safe chute opening? And also have less drift, acting as a drogue chute for larger rockets?

Would love to buy one when testing is complete.

Everything of course will vary depending on what you fly and how you use Chute Release. For instance, the rocket in the video (Estes Leviathan) is a pretty light rocket that's shown flying on a F26. Rockets like that tend to fall laying kind of flat and relatively slowly, and as you can see (~30 fps). But everything that rocket is doing a heavier rocket can do later (when we're confident that it's reliable). If you think the rocket will fall too quickly, I'd add a small drogue chute that opens at apogee. That would have the added benefit of pulling chute and line out of the fuselage completely and keeping everything in a nice stack during free fall.

Next I'll fly it on a G and get it up over 1000' (with the same 200' setting, by the way). I don't have access to a waiver flight for a couple of weeks, so H and I flights will either have to happen from other testers or wait until then.

Everything of course will vary depending on what you fly and how you use Chute Release. For instance, the rocket in the video (Estes Leviathan) is a pretty light rocket that's shown flying on a F26. Rockets like that tend to fall laying kind of flat and relatively slowly, and as you can see (~30 fps). But everything that rocket is doing a heavier rocket can do later (when we're confident that it's reliable). If you think the rocket will fall too quickly, I'd add a small drogue chute that opens at apogee. That would have the added benefit of pulling chute and line out of the fuselage completely and keeping everything in a nice stack during free fall.

Next I'll fly it on a G and get it up over 1000' (with the same 200' setting, by the way). I don't have access to a waiver flight for a couple of weeks, so H and I flights will either have to happen from other testers or wait until then.

I'll GLADLY be one of your testers! Haha!

Thanks John,

This device will become very versatile in no time. I'm relatively new to all this and seem to have a knack for coming into hobbies just when a groundbreaking developer makes the hobbyists' day significantly easier! Although I always go back and learn original techniques for more knowledge. Like building balsa sailplanes and staying away from foam, but also building with modern composite materials. Composite is my next step in MHR.

The Chute Release might have applications in RC as well! Hmmm.

This is going to revolutionize recovery. There are so many people who don't know where/how to get BP, and who don't want to go through the LEUP process, etc. Saves money on buying a drogue. Saves packing space. So far I don't see the down side.

I will own at least two. Probably more after we see its performance. I have a rocket that is sitting, waiting for this thing.

Take my money already.

I'm in the same boat - so far, I'm keeping my flights under about 1500 so I have less chase into the fields. I have a number of projects I'd like to be able to apply a simple DD system to, but I really have no interest in the complexity of an e-bay, onboard electronics, shear pins and the like. To me, a bit part of the appeal of this hobby is in the simplicity of the low to mid-power size range. A simple DD product, OTOH, would really change how I approach a lot of things. I've been leary of trying a cable cutter, because they still have a fairly high complexity level (relatively speaking) to what I'm doing now, still require some form of electronics, still require a BP charge. And they have mixed reliability. However, this new Magic Beans Device sounds like its the answer to exactly my needs and will suit my kind of flying to a tee.

Okay, what is up with all this teasing? Where is the buy it now button? I'm looking forward to this, I've got plans to purchase at least two of them. This is going to greatly expand what I am able to fly at my local spot.

Okay, what is up with all this teasing? Where is the buy it now button? I'm looking forward to this, I've got plans to purchase at least two of them. This is going to greatly expand what I am able to fly at my local spot.

I doubt it if they're $200.00 apiece!:lol: But I don't think that will be the case. Expected release date? :confused2: Kurt Savegnago

I am so excited for this thing. Christmas order will be happening for sure. Just please make sure you have enough on hand to cover the demand.

I am so excited for this thing. Christmas order will be happening for sure. Just please make sure you have enough on hand to cover the demand.

I second that! I'm sure demand will be amazing for this thing. I'll be getting several!

Any idea on when you will know the cost or will we have to wait till Christmas to plan our funding avenues?

TA

From the Jolly Logic web site (linked to in the first post in the other Chute Release thread):

Of course, like all Jolly Logic products, it’s rechargeable from any USB port, and uses the same USB Micro-B port and cable as our other products. With tether and band in final configuration, the prototype weighs just over 14 grams (0.5 oz), and is 54 x 31 x 10 mm (2.1 x 1.2 x 0.4 inches) in size.

John,
I'm mentoring a TARC team who really wants to do dual deployment. Last year they lost a bunch of rockets to the tree monsters at the small field where we fly. they would be very interested in this. it sure beats the cumbersome set-up that they've come up with so far. is the release mechanical? The rules don't allow for any blackpowder (although I think a small ignitor like quest would be permitted).

thanks.
don.

John,
I'm mentoring a TARC team who really wants to do dual deployment. Last year they lost a bunch of rockets to the tree monsters at the small field where we fly. they would be very interested in this. it sure beats the cumbersome set-up that they've come up with so far. is the release mechanical? The rules don't allow for any blackpowder (although I think a small ignitor like quest would be permitted).

thanks.
don.

Yup,

Looks like a release pin is pulled and the elastic band comes free. No pyrotechnics. The video looks good and this is a promising development. As long at the elastic band holds the chute in some form of a reefed
state so it doesn't work free it should be fine.

A pyrotechnic device like the Archtype rocketry cutter can cinch the zip tie down very tightly so one could have a drogue at the apex of the main chute that extends out of the burrito bag. The tight cinch holds the main in place even with the pull on the drogue. Once the cutter fires, the "drogue" can act as a pilot chute that assists in pulling the main out of the burrito.

The elastic band will have more limited holding power but as long as the main is restrained and not "flopping" about rigorously in descent, I think it will work great. I would not set it up like I described in the scenario
for a pyrotechnic cutter for the precise reason that the elastic cannot be cinched as tightly as a ziptie. I'll order a couple myself when available. Kurt Savegnago

Back