Brushable primer to use with spray enamel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pondering the possibility of a brushable, sandable primer that I can use with Rustoleum 2X rattle cans. There are times when I want to touch up the primer layer, or apply in tight areas, and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of taking the spray cans outside. I'll eventually need to go outside to spray the color coats, but if I could at least do some priming inside with the brush it would enable me to build through the winter.

Rustoleum makes quart-sized cans of primer, but they're like $30 and waaaay more than I would need. Anyone know of one available in smaller quantities that I could safely use?

Not particularly cost effective , but you could use Testor's, depending on the size of the rocket. An airbrush would also be a good choice.

Artist's gesso is brushable and thinable with water or acrylic medium, or airbrush medium. It might be too toothy for your needs, but sands well and has no odor.

Back