Upscale D-Region Tomahawk -- how to do the fluting?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Looking at the D-Region Tomahawk scale gallery made me think about an upscale. If one were to upscale this rocket, say to a 3-incher, does anyone have any creative/cool/interesting or even practical ways of doing the fluting around the fin mount area?

Take a look at the Competition Model Rockets D-Reg model...it was a neat kit, taught me many tricks for making scale models...the fluting was done with folded card stock and the bolt heads with sharpened brass tubing ... very clever! The instructions are over on Ye Olde Rocket Plans -- this might upscale nicely

Being a fan of sounding rockets, I did a 4" a few years back. After getting the scale documentation from NAR, along with the drawings from "Rockets of the World", and taking measurements from the Estes model, I was ready to start. But how to do the fluting/fin shroud?

I use basswood quite a bit in rocket construction, stronger than balsa, with not to much additional weight. Best of all, with its tight straight grain, much easier to finish. So basswood it was. I started by cutting 1/4 inch stock in 16 pieces, about 1.25 by 12 inches long. I then put a 11.25 degree bevel on both edges. The curvature was sanded into each piece by wrapping a piece of sandpaper around a section of 4" airframe. The edges were than trimmed to size and glued up. It was glued up with CA, on a piece of airframe tubing, covered in wax paper, so I could just slip it off when done. As the flues are not the same width, I painted the outside, to help see the progress in sanding each flue to the proper size. The bevels were put on the end, fin slots cut and it was done. While it sounds simple, it was a lot of work, but in the end it worked out well.

The trim pieces that go around the fins where they meet the shroud were cut from styrene strips and were attached after the rocket was painted. As a bit of overkill, to get the look of the screws, real screws were used. "Acme", rail guides were used, as they are close to the guides on the full size rocket.

Mike

035.jpg

036.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

037.jpg

Being a fan of sounding rockets, I did a 4" a few years back. After getting the scale documentation from NAR, along with the drawings from "Rockets of the World", and taking measurements from the Estes model, I was ready to start. But how to do the fluting/fin shroud?

I use basswood quite a bit in rocket construction, stronger than balsa, with not to much additional weight. Best of all, with its tight straight grain, much easier to finish. So basswood it was. I started by cutting 1/4 inch stock in 16 pieces, about 1.25 by 12 inches long. I then put a 11.25 degree bevel on both edges. The curvature was sanded into each piece by wrapping a piece of sandpaper around a section of 4" airframe. The edges were than trimmed to size and glued up. It was glued up with CA, on a piece of airframe tubing, covered in wax paper, so I could just slip it off when done. As the flues are not the same width, I painted the outside, to help see the progress in sanding each flue to the proper size. The bevels were put on the end, fin slots cut and it was done. While it sounds simple, it was a lot of work, but in the end it worked out well.

The trim pieces that go around the fins where they meet the shroud were cut from styrene strips and were attached after the rocket was painted. As a bit of overkill, to get the look of the screws, real screws were used. "Acme", rail guides were used, as they are close to the guides on the full size rocket.

Mike

Now, that is cool.

It neither "sounds" nor looks "simple!" That is amazing work. And a great idea.

Mike

Wow! That's incredible!

Back