Transitions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
Amongst a number of others I have a future project planned which involves a design using a 6" base body tube and a 4" top tube. I'm thinking of using PML phenolic tubes for this, my experience of them so far is good and they are readily available in the UK. The problem I have is making the transition between the two tubes. My design for the internal structure is (I think) good and rigid so I don't need the transition to be a structural component. It does however need to be strong enough for flight and of course, landing.
Does anyone know of one that is available on the market? Alternatively, what is the best way to make one?
I'm limited on tools for the job, I have no turning or GRP moulding skills. Nor do I want to make an enormous investment in tools I will use only once. I'm wondering whether or not 3D printing might be an answer but currently have no knowledge of doing it or the quality/strength of the product. All I have is access to a printer.

Does anyone have any experience of such a component?

SO.

Last edited:
You could try using centering rings to approximate the transition, then fill it with either foam or filler (like epoxy).

Back