TCC October Skies 10/17 weekend three day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
After the Dairy Aire cancellation, October Skies should be in full effect!

I need to finish the lights on the Nuke Pro Max for my first night flight, and I might bring out the L3 bird for a post certification celebration!

Who else is coming?

I will be there! Flights aren't finalized yet but hopefully will include my first 54mm...

Planning on going also (at least for Saturday), hoping to do my L2 cert with my Binder Excel w/DD, and hopefully break a mile with my RW Go Devil 38 (after I fix a pair of fin fillets cracked at XPRS). Ordering the parts tonight to re-re-build the only rocket I had at OS2014 (Firestorm 54 w/DD, the previous re-build made it SD, planning to go back to DD), we'll see if the pieces arrive in time to fly it once again (fingers crossed).

I'll be there all three days. I took my L2 exam at the last TCC event, so the 3" Comp-Star gets it's L2 flight on Friday on a j350w, victory lap on a j520sk on Saturday, and a k375nw on Sunday for the Eggtimer TRS to earn it's keep. Really looking forward to the night flights, maybe I'll dust off the old DOC2000 and feed it a h180sk.

Last edited:
I will be there. I will be demonstrating my new Hybrid Launch Control System and also my new stand alone vent sensor. I will also be offering my old Hybrid launch control system for sale at a super discount. I will also have the new items for sale. Hybrids are a great way to save money flying rockets. Reloads run less than half the cost of solids and if you like long burns hybrids are the ticket.

We heard such good things about Harris Ranch, we are going to come down for the launch early Saturday and then spend the night there. Hope to launch a modified Estes MDRM on a CTI G127R, a LOC Vulcanite on an AT I200, a 3" LOC Shadowhawk on an AT H268R and a 4" LOC Super DX3 on an AT I161W along with a few others. The wife is going to create something from an Estes Leviathan that will have a feminine touch and a light in the nosecone for the night launch. It may fly on a CTI G145 Pink.

We'll be there. I'm planning to fly the DoorKnob on another K740. Sami will fly her 4" Warlock on an H90. We're trying to finish up Jacob's Wildman Jayhawk. I'd like to fly it on an H100 DMS for the first flight.

I'm planning to fly Bluefin Tuba 4" on either an L or an M sparky.

I'll be there, but for Sat. only. Going to go for my L2 test then a crayon with a ​​J316

and a few others, can't wait.

Last edited:
I plan to be there but I cannot commit 100%. I'm rushing to fininsh my LOC Vulcanite and plan to try it with an eggtimer DD (my 1st DD) with an H or I. I will also bring the Super Batray. It will be fun to attend another night launch!

Hotel and car booked, getting excited here! I will be staying cheaply across the highway but probably spending most of my non flying time at the Harris Ranch lounge.

I'm planning to fly the DoorKnob on another K740.

I will keep an eye and ear out for that one!

The TCC K2045 Nike Smoke drag race is always fun. I have a newly built, never been flown Nike Smoke just for this launch, but now have to work. I'm bummed.

Does the diameter of the Nike Smoke matter? I have a 2.6" and 4" built and ready to fly. Oops, I now see the motor size now.

The TCC K2045 Nike Smoke drag race is always fun. I have a newly built, never been flown Nike Smoke just for this launch, but now have to work. I'm bummed.

Oh no! I am still bummed about my previous employer snuffing out a Snow Ranch launch last year where I had big plans.

hball55 said:
Does the diameter of the Nike Smoke matter? I have a 2.6" and 4" built and ready to fly. Oops, I now see the motor size now.

Four inch is standard but a few larger ones have been included on larger motors. Of course if you cram a 54mm vmax into a 2.6 inch model we all want to see it fly by itself!

Oh no, my 2.6" Nike Smoke has a 38mm mmt. I just started building a 5.5" Nike Smoke but it wouldn't be finished in time. My 4" Nike Smoke would go too high on a K2045 for my tastes.

TCC just can't catch a break.

For the second time this year, the run up to a TCC three day launch is forecast to have rain/thunderstorms. In the middle of the drought. And we know how Dairy Aire turned out.

I'd been planning to launch my Goblin 5.5 on an I366R for a test flight before the L2 attempt.

GRRR!

NWS says "Slight chance of thunderstorms" Wednesday night through Thursday night. Don't get too discouraged.

TCC just can't catch a break.

For the second time this year, the run up to a TCC three day launch is forecast to have rain/thunderstorms. In the middle of the drought. And we know how Dairy Aire turned out.

I'd been planning to launch my Goblin 5.5 on an I366R for a test flight before the L2 attempt.

GRRR!

As we get closer to the weekend, is anyone willing to take a stab at likely cloudbase on Saturday?

The plan was to pre-build a bunch of motors for flights ranging from 1,200 to 4,500 altitude. If the overcast is going to be lower than 5,000 feet, then we might back off the impulse on a few flights to keep them in view.

I plan to be at October Skies, probably Friday and perhaps Sunday.
If anyone is around when I am there and you'd be interested in seeing/trying Chute Release, just introduce yourself.
I'll be the guy with the fluorescent orange test rockets yelling "Heads Up!!!"

Radar is currently showing a lot of rain in Helm. Is anyone in the area who can post field conditions tomorrow morning?

It's a long drive (three+ hours) for me and I'd hate to arrive at the dairy to find the field impassable.

Thanks!

Looks dry from here on out. The mailing list reports total rain was not that high -
97AhvAC.jpg

I plan on heading out quite early and will post an update if possible. I do know that the NOTAM was filed.

Looks dry from here on out. The mailing list reports total rain was not that high -
97AhvAC.jpg

I plan on heading out quite early and will post an update if possible. I do know that the NOTAM was filed.
Yeah, that's not much rain. Notice to Airmen being filed is a good thing, too.

I'm planning on being there relatively early (for me) on Saturday...around 10-11 or so. Only putting up the one flight and would like to get it in before the breeze picks up in the afternoon.

Thanks!

It is perfect out!

Manning is flooded between the 5 and the aqueduct, but it looks to be due to a broken pipe rather than rain. I got through, though CHP was starting to set up when I passed, so consider other routes or check traffic ahead of that point.

"Perfect" is always good as far as field conditions go. Thanks for the report.

Now if we can just get past the shower/thunderstorm forecast for this afternoon.

I'll be assembling my motor this afternoon and loading up the car.

We had a great day at October Skies yesterday. We managed to get three flights in. Jacob flew his Wildman Jayhawk on an H195T DMS to about 1600'. I flew my Wildman 3" Saab on a CTI K740 to 10,331', and we flew my LOC DoorKnob on a CTI K515 SkidMark to 3667'.

There was plenty of action all day long. The angle of the sun wasn't great for photography but I got a few keepers.

DPP_0526.jpg

DPP_0529.jpg

DPP_0533.jpg

DPP_0535.jpg

DPP_0536.jpg

Back