Estes Astron II controller failure...attempted solution. THOUGHTS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirNomad

Reaction score
Hiya folks, my little boy received the Estes Tandem-X set for his birthday. We went to launch some rockets last weekend, and it appears the controller did not produce enough juice to launch the rockets. I called Estes, and the lady I spoke to in customer service was very helpful, but recommended I purchase only certain 9 volt batteries. I couldn't find them in stock at 3 stores, so I went to Radio Shack. I purchased an 8xAA battery holder with snap connector for $2.99 plus tax, and bought two packs of alkaline batteries. We intend to try it out tomorrow. The continuity light comes on (QUITE BRIGHT!) and hope I don't ruin the controller. Any thoughts? Anything else I might want to watch out for?

-Michael in Tucson

That should be more than enough.

A Duracell or Energizer alkaline 9V should be fine, however. No off brands (not even Ray-o-Vac) and certainly not any that aren't alkaline.

That should be more than enough.

A Duracell or Energizer alkaline 9V should be fine, however. No off brands (not even Ray-o-Vac) and certainly not any that aren't alkaline.

They were kinda old (but unused) Duracells. As in 3 years past expiration...but this set of 8 AAs ought to do the trick. :) According to Radio Shack's web site the part numbers are:
Model #: 270-387 | Catalog #: 2700387

The eight AA's will be just fine and should provide almost instant ignition of the ignitor. I've converted many Estes controllers to use various 12 volt sources, and, never had an issue.

Hiya folks, my little boy received the Estes Tandem-X set for his birthday. We went to launch some rockets last weekend, and it appears the controller did not produce enough juice to launch the rockets. I called Estes, and the lady I spoke to in customer service was very helpful, but recommended I purchase only certain 9 volt batteries. I couldn't find them in stock at 3 stores, so I went to Radio Shack. I purchased an 8xAA battery holder with snap connector for $2.99 plus tax, and bought two packs of alkaline batteries. We intend to try it out tomorrow. The continuity light comes on (QUITE BRIGHT!) and hope I don't ruin the controller. Any thoughts? Anything else I might want to watch out for?

-Michael in Tucson
The Tandem-X was my first launch set. My dad got it for me a few years ago and that's what got me into rockets. :) Make sure you don't put too big of a motor in the Crossfire though, or else you get to wave Bye-bye to it.

The 8 batteries should do the trick on ignition. I've actually wired up a system that hooks up to a car battery so I can drive into the launch site, pop the hood, hook up my launch controller, and I have yet to run a battery dead yet. :)

-Michael in Tucson

My first experience (as well as a buddy of mine) with the Astron II was the same as yours. I purchased a new Duracell 9V and that worked great. I got about 50-60 launches from that battery before it started to die. Your solution of AA batteries will work great as well. Have fun.

Batteries operate on a chemical reaction. The reaction starts when it is manufactured and continues even as the battery sits outside of a device, or even in it's original packaging. If it is left to sit long enough, it will eventually burn itself out. Most batteries have a 5-7 year expiration date, although some are as short as 2-3. After that date, the chances of reduced charge and chemical leaks (for alkaline batteries especially) gets very high. As you've found, 3 years past the expiration date it's not surprising that there may not be enough voltage left in the battery to light the ignition, even if the continuity light came on. Fresh batteries are a must.

-Michael in Tucson

Welcome to the Hobby!

As others have said, fresh batteries are a must! I have run into the same issue myself.

The very first thing I do for all my Grand-kids, and other young new model flyers after they receive an Estes or Quest "Starter Set" is almost that same thing you've done. buy a 9volt battery clip and a pair of Alligator or 30amp Battery clips along with abut 5 feet of 16/2 White jacketed copper stranded Lamp wire to make an EXTERNAL Drop power cable and spend another 14 to 19 bucks for a Hobbico or other brand 7amp 12volt rechargable Gel-Cell battery like those use by RC plane flyers. A very inexpensive "Trickle" charger can be had at any of the Harbor Freight locations or on-line for sometimes as little as 4.99. (normal non-sale price is about 10bucks). This combination will launch all the models any individual could want to fly in a day and last for a decade or longer ( if the battery is maintained with care). These Little HF trickle chargers work fantastic for ANY 12v, Wet, Gel or rechargable Battery. We use them almost exclusively for our various size Heavy duty Club launcher batteries and PA power supplies over all 4 complete systems.

I've had friends and family flying from these 9v controllers powered by 12v batteries with absolutely no ill effects on the controller for almost two decades now. On some of the older Estes electro-beam controllers Its was very easy to replace the 6 volt blub with a 12volt direct replacements. These days the buzzer and/or LED illuminated controllers have enough diversion to allow 12volt operation without harm.

Quest Pistol Grip controller-d-sm_3pic page_10-04-08.JPG

Gel-Cell Charger-b_HarborFrt 12-15V Charger_04-12-02.jpg

I think the title might be better changed to "don't use expired batteries in 9volt controllers." The expired battery was at fault and not the controller. Fresh quality batteries are required. Back up new batteries and replacement alligator clips come in handy. It is also easiest to have a spare controller on hand. The single 9 volt battery estes controller does need frequent battery changes... more frequently than the Estes 4xAA ones in my experience.

Back