Recommendation for a first HPR kit that can fly on F, G and H motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3td

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who flew model rockets with me many years ago and he would like to get back into the hobby with a kit that can fly F motors, but also accommodate G and H motors. Would appreciate any thoughts on what he should consider.

Thanks!

Any of the remaining Estes Pro Series II builder's kits (Argent, Partizon, Mega Der Red Max, Ventris, Nike Smoke) would work. Built as directed I'd stay away from things like CTI VMax motors, but other than that they should be able to cope with that motor range.

Grab one of the Estes Pro Series rockets when they go on sale hard to beat for the price and comes with every thing but the motor.

Wildman Blackhawk 29, it will even fly on D's and E's (not real high or fast though), we had one of our visiting rocketeers put one up several times on a D12-3 and a E9-4.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think he wants to start off with something basic and economical with a 29 mm motor mount. He can move on to 38 mm motors in his second bird!

I'm partial to the LOC Graduator. Can fly on a D12-3 to a baby I.

+1. LOC Graduator is the perfect pre-L1 to L1 kit. Flies great, easy construction, tough rocket. I have flown one on everything from an E23 to an I200--love this rocket. Use an Estes 29mm motor retainer and you are in there.

In a similar genre for just a few more $$$s, but in very durable fiberglass, take a look at the Wildman Drago. We've had one of those core sample a dry lake bed and fly again the same day.

A Loc Forte or the Loc Graduator.
The Graduator would do better on F motors.
The Forte would be a good Cert flight as; it has a 38 mm mount option.

JD

++ on the venerable LOC Graduator and similar 29mm (Madcow 2.6" DX-3 for instance), though it will be bumping 3000' on an H. I did my L1 with a Grad. Or for similar $ you can buy 3 Estes PSII kits on closeout and have a small fleet.

I have a friend who flew model rockets with me many years ago and he would like to get back into the hobby with a kit that can fly F motors, but also accommodate G and H motors. Would appreciate any thoughts on what he should consider.

Mega Der Red Max! If he flew with you many years ago, he'll likely remember this classic favorite, but Mega is so much better! :grin: Made to fly on F & G and if built well, should be able to fly on small H without issue. Mine was built as instructed with heavy Carpenter's Wood Glue fillets and is built like a tank. I'll often fly it first and don't hesitate to be the first launch of the day. Flights are fairly low, so low chance of a long walk for recovery. Flies well on the 29/40-120 G loads, my favorite for affordable wow factor (about $10-$15 per reload). Someone at our club certified with it on a sparky H on their first flight...what a way to make an entrance! Available for as low as $40-$50 shipped if you shop wisely. Wows even people who don't know rockets. List goes on, my fondness continues. Only weak point I can think of is the elastic...I built it stock (I like building stock first), but you know that after a lot of flights, the cord is getting fried. I've added on a kevlar cord protector and it should be fine now for a bunch more flights.

I really like the Aerotech kits for getting into mid power. Straight forward build, good instructions, no epoxy needed, easy to finish, and they now come with a very nice screw on retainer.

+1 on the LOC Forte'.

Having the fins trailing edge flush with the body tubes trailing edge helps a bit on harder landings.
And the 3.10" Diameter tube has plenty of room for reaching in while rigging, and rerigging your recovery system.

I had to fly my level 1 certification twice do to my first attempt coming in with the nosecone having nuzzled itself nicely inside the parachute; So it came in mostly under the drag of the tubular nylon shock cord I had installed. But luckily for my Forte', that was all it took. After the flight, it was inspected and cleared as near pristine.
So, I repacked the recovery system. Got my hands on another motor. And bingo, flight two comes in under canopy.
With the second inspection a repeat of the first of the day, my Forte' had gone above and beyond for that day.

I continue the fly her as one of my mainstays, under all the conditions you have laid out in your original post, with only basic maintenance needed thus far.

Last edited:
Along with LOC and Madcow, you might want to look at Binder Design's 3" kits. One thing to remember about the LOC/Madcow/Binder Design paper/plywood kits is that they go together and fly great with just wood glue. No need to mess with epoxy.

+2 on the CTI 29mm starter set along with the model of your choice. The Mega DRM is a great more-specific suggestion than the one I made....

PML Amraam 2. Mine has been flying since 2003, with literally hundreds of flights on it. It's gotten a steady diet of H's for the last 5 years. Flew econojet F motors in the early days - very versatile.

Latest posts

Back