Aero Pack in Proline Tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
I want to get a flanged Aeropack retainer for a project for aesthetic reason but the 4" tube from Proline, as I measure it, is exactly the minimum ID for the 75mm retainer. Can anyone speak to the fit before I spring?

That said, and perhaps more importantly, would using this retainer type on such minimal CRs be ill-advised?

That's how it worked out on my Wildman AAD 98 Interceptor. There is a little meat on the outside edge for the threads. That said, I installed the retainer after gluing the motor mount in so that my threads went into the internal filet on the centering ring. You'll be fine. Especially if your 75mm motor has a threaded forward closure for backup.

Adrian

It will work fine.
I ditched the threaded inserts as there is so little "meat" left in the CR.
Just drilled and let screws self-tap holes in CR for the cap head screws.

100_7107.jpg

75mm retainer on 4in DarkStar.
Not ill advised at all, once you use them, can't live without!!!!LOL
The adapters for them [75to 54] are simple and easy to use.
Be sure to insert motor when installing to correctly center retainer on motor mount.
When tightening, be sure to cross tighten, as in changing tire on car, to keep even torque on all screws. Little at a time till all are tight.
Final "gottcha" be sure to align the screws so you miss drilling into an internal fin fillet.

Last edited:
That's how it worked out on my Wildman AAD 98 Interceptor. There is a little meat on the outside edge for the threads. That said, I installed the retainer after gluing the motor mount in so that my threads went into the internal filet on the centering ring. You'll be fine. Especially if your 75mm motor has a threaded forward closure for backup.

Adrian

+1 Just installed one on my AAD 98 Interceptor as well, after everything was in place. Just make sure there is no epoxy on the outside of the CR. Perfect fit - no worries about alignment, because it really can't go anywhere. Seems really nice - launch got cancelled so it hasn't flown yet. Only thing I will add is that you really do need a 7/64" Allen wrench to install - it's not a size that I could substitute something "close." YMMV

Final "gottcha" be sure to align the screws so you miss drilling into an internal fin fillet.

Or be prepared to drill a deeper hole, and work harder to install the screws. Don't ask me how I know.:facepalm:

Back