Mega Der Red Max on an I200

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcomfort

Fixer Upper
Reaction score
Although pictures of Mega Der Red Maxes are not uncommon, I thought I would post another. Thanks to Dave Hanson for the photo.

This one was taken in Hartsel, Colorado, home to miles of prairie in every direction, clear blue skies, and no wind (at least on this occasion). At an elevation of nearly 9000 feet and surrounded by mountains, dang, it is a beautiful rocketry venue.

MegaDerRedMaxI200.jpg

Nice, a great motor for MDRM. This Estes kit sure takes a licking. I've flown mine on H165R, H182R, H210R, H268R, I200W, and H115DM, still can't decide which one I like best!

Too pretty of a shot... I'm guessing Photoshop, no place could look that good for rocketry... (JK :p)

Seriously though... Nice job to both the maker of the rocket, and the taker of the photo.

Wow, that's a great pictures and good flame-to-rocket ratio, too!

That was an awesome flight that maxed out der max! Arrow straight and deployment right at apogee, and a mid power distance recovery walk to boot, no high plains drifter there. When seeing that I200 rip the Mega DRM off the pad for a perfect flight I said "That guy must be highly certified!" Was that an Estes kit? Someday I hope to fly a motor that big and powerful. Absolutely perfect weather and site. "I'm a goin' on down to South Park." "Oh give me home, where the buffalo roam, and the skies are not cloudy all day." The Tripoli boys also brought out the home brew motors because it was EX day! Yaahoo! Punch dem doggies! Look at all dem der mach diamonds!

Rumor has it we may see some early 80's classics upscaled soon. A hardwood nose cone on a Manta Bomber? That would be awesome dude. Keep up the good work.

Rumor has it we may see some early 80's classics upscaled soon. A hardwood nose cone on a Manta Bomber?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I can't believe that I was evidently talking about this project in 2015!

The good news is that I finally started the project this year and finished it in time to fly it at NSL. The nose cone is a solid block of cherry, shaped and hollowed to keep its weight down:

MantaBomber3xBlockNose.jpg

MantaBomber3XNoseConeComplete.jpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I can't believe that I was evidently talking about this project in 2015!

The good news is that I finally started the project this year and finished it in time to fly it at NSL. The nose cone is a solid block of cherry, shaped and hollowed to keep its weight down:

View attachment 467079

View attachment 467080
More pictures please. A whole new thread for this beauty!

Back