Chute Release Proto User Interface Videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

Actually I will give a comment on this... Video #3 "turn off", although it is OK, seems a bit counter intuitive to me. Once I have my altitude set and see the light were I want it, I don't really want to then screw with it. When I sequence up through the range to initiate a power off how do I know I didn't do it fast enough and instead set it at the upper end of the range. It seems like the somewhat de facto standard for power down of most electronic equipment is a "long press." Could a long press of one of the buttons, say 3 seconds, initiate power down instead?

-Tim

BTW, sequencing down to initiate bench testing is fine as it immediately goes into its next process (versus powering down and not getting the immediate feedback).

Last edited:
Could a long press of one of the buttons, say 3 seconds, initiate power down instead?

Yep, there are choices for how to go about this, and it may change. I could imagine a long press working, and it could even "overlay" the other way of doing it.

In fact, in the first iteration, you would hold *both* buttons down at the same time to turn it off. It had the virtue of requiring deliberation (you wouldn't accidentally turn it off). But it was awkward, took both hands, and like your idea of holding just one button, it's "hidden."

Because the second thing you do after dreaming up a feature is to figure out how to explain it to people, and label it. There would probably have had to be a little indication somewhere like "Hold for Power," or some such. And when it's brief like that it gets kind of cryptic. So as I was designing that label I started not liking that approach as much.

In the current iteration, the buttons always do the same thing (move right or left). And 'open' and 'power' are labeled. Maybe not optimally, but they are there. Tweaking will occur.

I believe in a couple of things:

1. Most people don't read instructions (I'm not talking about you and I, BTW, I *love* manuals...)
2. Less is better
3. The more forgiveness, the less frustration
4. Hidden is worse
5. Try explaining to someone how to explain it to someone else
6. Timing shouldn't be too critical

In the current approach, none of the functions depend on how long or short you hold the button. That's pretty forgiving. If a long press turned it off, some people might encounter that as they were trying to set the release altitude. It would surprise most people how wide a range there is in how people press buttons and swipe on UI elements.

P.S. Remember, turning this thing off is something you need to do perhaps once a day, and it's relatively unimportant. More than once I've left it running and let it turn itself off.

More than once I've left it running and let it turn itself off.

I assume this happens when not seeing the minimum ascending altitude but after a fairly long time, right? I ask because at large launches I have had an hour wait on a pad before.

I assume this happens when not seeing the minimum ascending altitude but after a fairly long time, right? I ask because at large launches I have had an hour wait on a pad before.

Right now won't turn off automatically until 24 hours so you'll be fine on the pad.

John is it a rubber band for the wrap??
Essentially, yes (a high quality one). You can substitute whatever you want, but:
1. Make sure there's enough springy tension to pull the pin out when it is released
2. Don't over-tighten it (our band limits that)

Back