DD computer WITH external ignition relay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkennedy2

Reaction score
Does anyone make a DD computer with a relay for the main ignition? That way, in theory, you couldn't launch the rocket without activating the DD computer. You probably don't have to guess very hard why I'd like this... :blush: I could see one connecting the gator-clips to a couple of pins or contacts near the aft of the rocket and running the ignitor/starter from a relay channel on the DD computer. It should pass continuity through and the voltage is supplied by the launch system as opposed to the DD computer. If the DD computer was not active or not ready, it would not pass current through and no launch (no launch without activating the DD computer too).

I still miss my Frenzy XL...

This has been discussed in another thread.
Random thoughts follow it has been a long day..
I see it as another failure point. Just one more You would also need a pretty robust relay in case the igniter shorts out. The way you describe your set up it sounds like you would have your igniter already installed before you get to the pad which is a No No most places.
Most launches require you to arm the electronics first. That way you can make sure the altimeters are beeping before you install the igniter.
The pins to connect the pad igniter leads to make another place where parachutes and recovery harness can hang up. The leads could also hang up on the rocket on launch.
Just my:2:

Print out a checklist. take it to the pad. Don't connect igniter until everything else is checked.

Safe and simple.

An easier way is: to have the same procedure for every rocket:
Arm your altimeter first connect the ignition leads Last!

JD

Yeah, well when the piper cub flys over the launch site at 500' it's EASY to get distracted. I guess not everyone reads the NOTAMS before they fly. I was just really surprised.

I was thinking the ignitor is connected to the circuit but NOT installed in the motor.

Pins I was thinking between the MMT and the BT mounted to the aft centering ring. And yes that location would not be available on a min dia rocket.

Oh well, it was just a thought...

The other thread didn't really get too close to a good solution IMO. I think the win here would be a wireless relay module that is bluetooth-paired (or WiFi) to your flight computer. You attach both the ignitor and the clips to the module, and the relay is only energized when the flight computer is on and ready. Loading the ignitor and continuity work normally (you can't get continuity until everything is go).

Best part is, the wireless module can stay on the ground and doesn't even have to fly with the model. So no size and battery constraints, and the rocket doesn't have to be modified in any way, nor do you need breakaway wires leading up to the avbay. You could put your wireless switch in the same enclosure or even combine the functionality.

The other thread didn't really get too close to a good solution IMO. I think the win here would be a wireless relay module that is bluetooth-paired (or WiFi) to your flight computer. You attach both the ignitor and the clips to the module, and the relay is only energized when the flight computer is on and ready. Loading the ignitor and continuity work normally (you can't get continuity until everything is go).

Best part is, the wireless module can stay on the ground and doesn't even have to fly with the model. So no size and battery constraints, and the rocket doesn't have to be modified in any way, nor do you need breakaway wires leading up to the avbay. You could put your wireless switch in the same enclosure or even combine the functionality.

Neat! Now that's thinking outside the box (or BT anyhow). :)

Back