Balsa wood....... BEWARE!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Plan on scoring one of these used......https://www.autotoolworld.com/Jet-W...iable-Speed-Indexing-Mini-Lathe_p_204508.html

•Continuously variable speed operation from 500 to 3,900 RPM

Found on Craigslist. Only a few miles from work to boot.
Lady says she bought it,used it once and life happened.
Shes asking $300.
I spoke to the lady today and Im going to look/BUY it tomorrow after work.
SWEET! Been wanting a lathe (Jet) for long time see.
OH>BOY..what to turn first.
maybe everyone gets a pen this year for xmas...ha hahhahahahahhahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:............:facepalm:

Looks like fun. Me, I can't even find the time/energy to build the last kit I bought. Talk about :facepalm:

Nice find Dawg. Prolly be a good idea to practice with some pine stock before you murder good balsa in the learning process. Also, it will behoove you to look into some good turning tools. I only have 4 that I find works adequate turning nose cones and other various projects.

Cool grab Mr. Scotty. On turning tools, I've tended to just use a boxcutter blade with maybe 1/16" broken off the tip for roughing the shape, then switch to sanding block with #100-150, finally #320 for smoothing. I've also used genuine turning chisels but they don't really work any better for me. I've heard (pretty authoritatively) that both Semroc and BMS use a Dremel tool with a spinning burr as the cutting tool. Supposedly works a lot faster and cleaner than any fixed tool. Been meaning to try this but I haven't turned much balsa in the last few months.

Nice find Dawg. Prolly be a good idea to practice with some pine stock before you murder good balsa in the learning process. Also, it will behoove you to look into some good turning tools. I only have 4 that I find works adequate turning nose cones and other various projects.

Cool grab Mr. Scotty. On turning tools, I've tended to just use a boxcutter blade with maybe 1/16" broken off the tip for roughing the shape, then switch to sanding block with #100-150, finally #320 for smoothing. I've also used genuine turning chisels but they don't really work any better for me. I've heard (pretty authoritatively) that both Semroc and BMS use a Dremel tool with a spinning burr as the cutting tool. Supposedly works a lot faster and cleaner than any fixed tool. Been meaning to try this but I haven't turned much balsa in the last few months.

Thanks for the advice.
The last time I used a lathe was back when Richard Nixon won his 2cnd term.
I will admit..Im getting a little excited to pick it up.

I use round nose scraper, skew, and parting tool for balsa nose cones. If balsa is soft, I often toughen it with CA to keep it from crumbling while turning. I then use a variety of sandpaper grits to final sand. First picture is a "stubby Recruiter-like" nose cone I turned. I liked the shape of the Estes plastic cone, and decided to upscale it, but make it a bit shorter. Next are several of my adventures in turning spindles.

I got started turning pens when I bought my lathe, then tool handles (handle made for a bowl gouge I bought to get started turning bowls), and then peppermills. Love wood turning!

2015-07-27 15.46.09.jpgbowl-gouge2.jpgpeppemill.jpg

Last edited:
MINE!

I feel $300.00 is short coin for what its worth.
VERY nice lady . We visited for sometime and talk hobbies.
Also she throwed in a set of "Benjamin's Best" tools.
She had some other wood working tools in eye sight,but "no sale" on any of them.

Anywhoo..heres a pic or two of the beast.

DSCN3230.JPG

DSCN3233.JPG

MINE!

I feel $300.00 is short coin for what its worth.
VERY nice lady . We visited for sometime and talk hobbies.
Also she throwed in a set of "Benjamin's Best" tools.
She had some other wood working tools in eye sight,but "no sale" on any of them.

From the link you provided earlier, it appears you have a lathe that will work the size blocks I use. Now all you need to do is find a best way to keep the tools sharpened. Qquake has a thread somewhere, that he showed how he made a sanding disk to go on his lathe, and he can sharpen while he's turning.....if need be. That's a pretty smart idea he has there, and I plan to do the same thing. My methods for sharpening suck. Touche SD. I'm sure we'll be seeing some progress pics?

This worries me !!! Marsh mellons and power tools don't go well together----as a rule---Wash your hands and snack on the Fark-n-ar's later. CRAP!--REALLY!!--That was quick!-----OK , they're knocking at the door! I'm just gonna turn the wolf loose and go out the back d........

Back