Estes Odyssey Build -- Part 7

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
RAY GUNS FOR EVERYONE

The only thing better than one ray gun is three. So says the Odyssey. It is now time to assemble the pods and attach them to the rocket.
I started by roughing the glue surface of each nosecone shoulder, prior to gluing.
IMG_0594.jpg
I placed a nice bead of thick CA inside the pod tube and inserted the nosecone. On the other end of the tube, I wicked in a small amount of thin CA to harden the tube. I then rolled up a piece of 220 grit paper and sanded the inside of the tube until the hardened edge was smooth.
IMG_0597.jpg
At this point, I wanted to prepare the tubes for later painting: I gave them 3 coats of sandable primer, then sanded all the primer off. This fills in the tube spiral, and some of the tube/nosecone gap. I want there to be no seam between the tube and nosecone. After sanding the primer, a gap was still visible, so I applied a heavy dose of Squadron Green Putty around the nosecone base, to be later sanded down. Hopefully, this will fill that gap.
IMG_0613.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0619.JPG
To glue the motor assembly into the rocket, I inserted the assembly and the plastic rear ring, then pulled the motor tube assembly back until it met the ring. I removed the ring and used a pencil to mark the location of the motor tube assembly.
IMG_0620.JPGIMG_0621.JPG
Remove the motor tube assembly and add a large ring of Titebond glue completely around the rocket airframe (it’s OK to be liberal here) and quickly insert the motor tube assembly to the pencil line. The forward ring will grab the glue and push it forward. Sand the shoulder of the plastic ring and glue it into place with thick CA glue. I may leave the ring off until painting is complete.

IMG_0622.JPG

We are getting close to paint time!
IMG_0627.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Cool build and lots of great techniques, but I'm curious... Why are you making each step a separate post? It makes it very difficult for someone to follow your build from start to finish.

Cool build and lots of great techniques, but I'm curious... Why are you making each step a separate post? It makes it very difficult for someone to follow your build from start to finish.

'cause I don't know any better is the short answer.
I figure if someone wants to get the whole set, they can search and get them quickly: I used exactly the same title for each one (except for Part #). Also, by doing each session in a new thread, you don't get sub-sub-sub replies. I wasn't sure if I was allowed 10 new photos for each reply-I knew I would be if each session# was in a new post. So I went with a new post each time.

Besides, having to search for them makes you want them that much more :)

I'm curious if you are enjoying this type of rocket build. It's impossible to design a kit that everyone will like. Future kits have more tube cutting, more paper shrouds and more airplane kit type of construction.

John Boren

I like the look of this kit, so that was the primary driver for doing it over some other Skill Level 5 kits. And cutting the tubes at odd angles is the challenging part of this kit. But I like the challenge. I like building traditional 3FNC kits, but once in awhile you need to shake it up. The Odyssey is one of those "shake it up" kits. If you build it, it will be noticed on the flight line. The ray guns and the jet compressor details add complexity, but they give the kit details that you don't often see in a rocket. The laser cutting is great-the tolerances are spot on. The little ray gun heat sink vanes are perfect--they are slightly snug to insert into the base, so they stay in place until glue can be added.

I'm curious if you are enjoying this type of rocket build. It's impossible to design a kit that everyone will like. Future kits have more tube cutting, more paper shrouds and more airplane kit type of construction.

John Boren

I am enjoying reading his build! I don't know that I am ready to build this level of rocket (yet) but do have a "Cosmic Interceptor" that I am very excited to build for my son's and I! Keep up the great work!

John Boren

All that sounds good to me. I have a Cosmic Interceptor, Asteroid Hunter, Xarconian Cruiser, and a Black Star Voyager in the build queue and am looking forward to the challenges that each kit will bring. I certainly enjoyed my QCC build and am looking forward to more builder's kits coming down the line. Good to have enough variety in the lineup so there's something for everyone's tastes. (but scale......more scale please.......and upscales of old favorites would be cool too)

Last edited:
(but scale......more scale please.......

More Scale is on it's way. One Real Special one should be out by the end of the year. The new BT-60 size Honest John builds into a real nice scale looking model.

John Boren

Excellent. I'll leave a spot on my Christmas wish list for whatever comes out.

All that sounds good to me. I have a Cosmic Interceptor, Asteroid Hunter, Xarconian Cruiser, and a Black Star Voyager in the build queue and am looking forward to the challenges that each kit will bring. I certainly enjoyed my QCC build and am looking forward to more builder's kits coming down the line. Good to have enough variety in the lineup so there's something for everyone's tastes. (but scale......more scale please.......and upscales of old favorites would be cool too)

The Odyssey is my 3rd Level 5 kit--I've also built the Asteroid Hunter and Black Star Voyager. I have a Xarconian Cruiser in the build queue. OK, and about 10 other kits as well. I'm sitting on an original run Apogee Saturn V, a Semroc Saturn IB, a Sheri's Hot Rockets Little Joe II, Estes Maxi HoJo....and several more. And we haven't touched HPR kits. I also have a soft spot for scale stuff--and upscale. Let's just say I have more money than sense.

I'll have to buy more than 2 of the BT-60 Honest Johns! I have 4 mini's.

John Boren

I love these types of rockets.
More -- More please

More Scale is on it's way. One Real Special one should be out by the end of the year. The new BT-60 size Honest John builds into a real nice scale looking model.

John Boren
Sci-Fi Future, Scale, ...
Shut-up-and-take-my-money-628.jpg

Back