BSI 20 minute finishing epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had bought some of this epoxy awhile back and thought I would try it out on some scrap balsa parts I had laying around. I mixed even parts per instruction and applied it to the balsa parts.

The first coat I applied to each part as they were laying flat and then when one side dried I applied the epoxy to the opposite side. It produced a nice finish and it was easily sanded with 220 and followed by 320. The problem is that you go through multiple brushes and not sure if it actually caused one of the fins to slightly warp. Chances are I'm wrong about that. We had some high temps here with some humidity so more than likely that's what caused it.

Anyway as I said the results were good, so after I sanded the pieces smooth it was time for another application. This time I decided to unfold a paper clip and use it as a method to hold the piece so I can apply epoxy to both sides of each piece at one and then allow them to dry upright. I didn't use that much on the second coat. I would say just enough to spread it evenly over the entire part. As you can see in the photos that the epoxy "pooled" up at the bottom of the root edge forming a bead line (see close up photo). It's possible this could be avoided by constantly rotating the piece until its sets and then placing it upright, but I'm just experimenting with this product and since I have never used it I would rather make my mistake here than on a project It one of those "lets see what happens" scenarios. I actually kind of like the gloss finish....it looks cool, but we all know rockets need paint to look even cooler!:p

So my question to all of you is when you are ready to paint the parts, do you sand the epoxy all the way to wood or until it is smooth?

Have any of you just sprayed primer right over the part after the epoxy has dried?

I've always used dope or on nose cones I would use thin CA and sand and reapply.

Thanks

20150921_173309.jpg20150921_173320.jpg20150921_173330.jpg20150921_173354.jpg20150921_173415.jpg20150921_173428.jpg20150921_173439.jpg

Back