Planning stage - would like input

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicmeister

Reaction score
Hello all - I have recently obtained my Tripoli level 1 cert with a Leviathan using an H135W Aerotech motor. Now, I am looking at rockets for my level 2, probably for next spring. Along with my level 2, I would like to use the same rocket for a mile high mach 1 flight (not necessarily the same flight as the level 2). I am looking at 2.2 - 3 inch dia rockets, 40-50 inches long, with a 38mm motor. Tentatively I am looking at possibly using the LOC Nuke Pro Max or the Public Missile Systems Explorer. Any inut on either rmy idea or either of these 2 rockets? Thanks

I'm building a Darkstar 2.6 right now... 54mm mount all fibreglass for $79.... Hard to beat.

I would be interested if someone can shed light if a Estes Leviathan Airframe could withstand Mach 1 flight since they are so thin and not fiberglassed? My Aerotech Initiator airframe buckled and collapsed at around 550mph.

Based on my flights at PURDY this weekend I'm thinking FG only for me here on out. 3 rockets destroyed this weekend all cardboard. FG would've survived all three incidents, but just my 2 cents. I still want to fly some of these 10 yrs from now.

Also I would really plan around the motors you want to fly - specifically case length - case OD and keep weight under control will give you a larger range of motors. For my L2 bird I kinda limited myself on the motor end unknowingly . Could have planned a little better.

Fast and high...3-4" L2 with a 54 or 75 is going to push 10-15K, low and slow...where a 5.5-7" probably 4-8k" so you also might start your planning but wait to purchase until Indiana announces a new location and waiver - they are struggling with a waiver right now is what I'm hearing.

Do a build thread once you decide! We will love to see the progression.

Nick

The only thing I'd recommend is whatever you choose, get a 54mm motor mount. You can put a 38mm in a 54 with the spacer, but you can't do the reverse.

The only thing I'd recommend is whatever you choose, get a 54mm motor mount. You can put a 38mm in a 54 with the spacer, but you can't do the reverse.

Barkley and Bat-mite beat me to it, definitely upsize the MMT when possible. If it comes stock with a 29 then put a 38; if it comes with a 38 put a 54, and so on. Lots and lots of motor choices. Even if it's a smallish rocket with a 54, you can always put a long burn motor in their without being overly concerned if it can handle a higher impulse motor. Check out the LOC Expediter as an example. You can fly H through J's (and probably G's and long burn K's come to think of it) in that thing with no problem. The critical thing is that your MMT allows you to do so :).

My first mach/mile flight, a Madcow 2.6" screech. On a Loki K1127, in a 38/1200 case. (liked it so much I did it 4 times :) )
I love this size rocket, but it just tickles around mach 1.2ish with Loki 38/1200 motors or Aerotech J510W's
The larger body is nice for more electronics room, but a 54mm body would go faster and higher.

17772071686_b19e3d2372.jpg
17612107379_3410a67086.jpg

19331251086_bcb48cfb5a.jpg
19169257338_e87f9154c1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all - I have recently obtained my Tripoli level 1 cert with a Leviathan using an H135W Aerotech motor. Now, I am looking at rockets for my level 2, probably for next spring. Along with my level 2, I would like to use the same rocket for a mile high mach 1 flight (not necessarily the same flight as the level 2). I am looking at 2.2 - 3 inch dia rockets, 40-50 inches long, with a 38mm motor. Tentatively I am looking at possibly using the LOC Nuke Pro Max or the Public Missile Systems Explorer. Any inut on either rmy idea or either of these 2 rockets? Thanks

You can easily do 1 mile and Mach 1 with a LOC Nuke Pro Max on a Level 1 motor.

At least with a simple barometric altimeter you can confirm your 1 mile and enjoy the high flight with your eye. Speed confirmation is not so easy. And boring, in my opinion. No way to visualize or accurately measure speed unless you have an accelerometer-based alt. See the Software and Electronics sub-forum as to why.

Anyway, use the Motor Guide on Thrustcurve.org to quickly sort out your options to meet your objectives.

You can easily do 1 mile and Mach 1 with a LOC Nuke Pro Max on a Level 1 motor.

Telling him his plan is fine and he's all set to go instead of trying to push the addiction deeper and suggest things much much further down the road than what he was thinking?

Thats no fun :p

Nuke pro max should do mach and a mile (and has by several people here) with no problem.... Built with wood glue, to be honest. Just need to work the coupler into an av-bay.

Last edited:
My father-in-law just built a Nuke Pro Max...very sturdy rocket, but he used it for an L1. As others have said, 54mm seems to be the way to go to really get into L2 stuff. I am building the LOC Precision Hyperloc 835 for an L2 attempt. The Binder Excel is another popular one I haven't seen mentioned so far. A 54mm Tomach is another that comes to mind, especially if mach is one of your goals. Lastly, I'll mention the new-ish Wildman 4" V2. I just got one and was running sims earlier. It looks like it will do Mach on a number of motors. I think after a more gentle first flight, I am going to put a CTI J1055 VMax in it. I may also shorten the AV bay so I can stuff a CTI J1520 VMax in it...mach 1.4 to 5,700'.

First, congrats on your L1.

What follows is my opinion, is based on how I see rocketry, and one assumption I make is that you obtain a certification because you want to fly the motors within that certification range. You are free to disregard any and all of what I say and trash it as you see fit, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I think you should build a rocket for your certifications that can fly most of the motors within that cert range. I say that because if you build a 29mm MPR, such as the Leviathan, and cert with a small H motor, you don't have a rocket to fly most of the large H motors or any of the I motors in. Not only is the 29mm MMT too small for many of the 38mm L1 motors, the small light MPR rocket gets way too much altitude to be flyable on the larger L1 motors. Motor ejection at over 4,000 ft doesn't work out too well in most places. With that said, I have a Leviathan and I fly it on H motors, but only when the conditions are right because it gets a lot of altitude. If it's windy or a low ceiling, I have other 38mm L1 sized rockets that I can fly to 1000 ft or less on H motors. It's those type of rockets I recommend for a L1 cert because they give you options for flying L1 motors that the Leviathan type rockets don't.

The same applies for L2 certifications. You can use a 38mm MMT rocket that flies H & I motor great and put a 38mm J motor in it for your high altitude L2 certification flight. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but when you are done, you still don't have a rocket capable of flying most of the J, any of the K or L motors that are part of the L2 range.

My recommendation for a L2 cert rocket is something in the 7 to 10 lb range, about 4" diameter and a 54mm MMT. This will allow you to fly low near 1500 ft with a baby J or push it about 10K ft with a 54mm L motor. If you are out west, go with a 3" diameter and get more altitude. If you're east coast and have a low waiver, go with the 4" or a 5.5" that is a little heavier and keep the flights lower. In either case, I'm assuming you want to fly all the motors available in your cert range and if you don't want to or can't afford to build a lot of rockets to do that, then make your cert rocket one that can handle most of the cert range motors.

Satisfy yourself and build what you want to fly. If you like it, it's the right rocket.

Good Luck on the L2!

I certified on a Sumo because it could fly on G and H impulse. I knew that if I failed to certify, I could still fly the rocket that I bought and built. If you buy a rocket that can only fly L1 motors, you will be unable to fly it until you certify. Just another way of looking at it.

After certifying with the Sumo, I then went and bought a kit that I could fly on I and J impulse. Flew it on I until I was ready for L2. Again, I knew if I failed, I could still fly it on I motors.

I guess eventually I will buy a kit that can fly on L and M motors, and fly it on L until I am ready for L3.

I certified on a Sumo because it could fly on G and H impulse. I knew that if I failed to certify, I could still fly the rocket that I bought and built. If you buy a rocket that can only fly L1 motors, you will be unable to fly it until you certify. Just another way of looking at it.

After certifying with the Sumo, I then went and bought a kit that I could fly on I and J impulse. Flew it on I until I was ready for L2. Again, I knew if I failed, I could still fly it on I motors.

I guess eventually I will buy a kit that can fly on L and M motors, and fly it on L until I am ready for L3.

Interesting way of looking at things. I failed my first L2 attempt on a K motor to 6,420 ft. because I lost the nose cone when the main charge fired. I just flew it again with a new and better attached nose cone and got my L2 with a 38mm J motor to 2,604 ft. a couple hours later. I guess I just never considered staying at L1.

Back