HPR OddRoc Upscales

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've been doing Upscales and Downscales for years. Now that I'm doing HPR, there are a few I'd like to make really big.

Any suggestions on how to build a serious OddRoc into an HPR? I'm looking at items such as (but not necessarily specifically) the Estes Blackhawk, Lynx and Scorpion.

I've been thinking of the same for my L2 one day. :)

I really wanted to do an Estes Blackhawk upscale; however since it appeared on the NAR membership card, I'd assume that idea wouldn't be so unique any more. Still, it would be cool.

How about upscales of: Semroc Saki/Snake Jumper/Gee'hod; Dynastar Lexxjet/Firefox; Estes Venus Probe/Porta-Pot-Shot/Star Trek Enterprise; Rocketarium odd-rocs (Rebel and Vortico would be cool!); Odd'l Pigasus (someone's gotta do this!) or Little Green Man.

Funny...I just noticed I've built and flown most of these. :)

Scratch build-wise, you can always do a big cup rocket. I'll likely one day do an HP cup rocket like my favorite Monsters Inc Art cup:
image-artcupii1ajpg-300-600-033415164915627.jpg

I've been doing Upscales and Downscales for years. Now that I'm doing HPR, there are a few I'd like to make really big.

Any suggestions on how to build a serious OddRoc into an HPR? I'm looking at items such as (but not necessarily specifically) the Estes Blackhawk, Lynx and Scorpion.

I wouldn't call those odd-rocs. They are futuristic or exotic models.

This is an odd-roc:

[video=youtube;_mhCF39BDTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mhCF39BDTE[/video]

:)

Anyway, I recommend that you can build a series of upscales, each a little bigger than the last. We built spider-themed rockets that were about two-feet tall then four-feet tall before we built the six-foot tall one. Each time we learned a little more about the different construction techniques required to build a larger rocket that would survive flying on more powerful motors.

-- Roger

Roger does bring up a good question...what defines an odd-roc?

I like oddrocs and do consider myself an "odd-rocketeer"; however when I was first writing my reply draft above, I found myself entering futuristic/exotic models. I then checked the OP and it listed some in the same category, so I left it in figuring that was along the lines of what was being asked about. However I'm sure Pigasus, Little Green Man and Porta-Pot-Shot are Oddrocs. ;)

How about an upscale R2-D2...I would consider it both sci-fi and odd-roc. I'd like to do that one day and I'm considering a large upscale Dispicable Me Minion if I ever get to it.

I also plan to make an upscale Beaker over the winter:
image-beaker-rocket-3ajpg-300-600-034115083925727.jpg

Last edited:
I'm working on an upscale Scorpius... Waiting until things slow down a bit for me to get back on it. All I really need to do at this point is spend more time on sanding, filling, and then get ready to fly...

My definition of oddroc is anything without a basic rocket shape you look at and think "I bet I could make that fly".

Always certify on a decent, safe, good looking and traditional 3/4FNC rocket. Leave the silly oddrocs for later, after you have certified and had numerous successful high power flights.

An oddroc is anything you bring to the RSO table that upon first glance gives the RSO a strained or shocked look on their face.

High power oddrocs do not have a good reputation and are generally viewed with trepidation.

R2 D2 is considered an oddroc in the same category as the Porta Potty.

Upscales have much more love and acceptance.

My definition of oddroc is anything without a basic rocket shape you look at and think "I bet I could make that fly".

That's pretty much what I've always viewed it as. Anything not a 3/4/5 fnc design. That includes anything designed after planes, fantasy/sci-fi, weird items and "anything that gives the RSO a mild heart-attack.

Always certify on a decent, safe, good looking and traditional 3/4FNC rocket. Leave the silly oddrocs for later, after you have certified and had numerous successful high power flights.

I disagree with this. Certify with what you like. I certified L1 with a saucer. I continue to fly that saucer on HP motors.

If you're going to fly an oddroc, do plenty of testing with smaller scale/thrust prototypes to make sure you understand how the rocket will behave. This goes for any HP oddroc, not just certification flights.

An oddroc is anything you bring to the RSO table that upon first glance gives the RSO a strained or shocked look on their face.

High power oddrocs do not have a good reputation and are generally viewed with trepidation.

I disagree with this. Certify with what you like. I certified L1 with a saucer. I continue to fly that saucer on HP motors.

If you're going to fly an oddroc, do plenty of testing with smaller scale/thrust prototypes to make sure you understand how the rocket will behave. This goes for any HP oddroc, not just certification flights.

I would check the rules for your chosen cert organization, oddrocs are not permitted for some levels. Check first to be sure. Tripoli bans oddrocs for all cert levels.
From the Tripoli website:
"The rocket must be built by the flyer. The rocket shall have a display on the exterior identifying the calculated center of pressure. The rocket must be of "conventional rocket design". "Odd Rockets" including flying pyramids, saucers and flying spools will not be allowed for any certification flight. The rocket may be either a kit or scratch built. Scratch built rockets may contain commercially built components."

FYI

Adrian

That was the main point that I was trying to make by posting the Akavish video. It took us about a decade to get from our first little Akavish to the giant one. You don't have to take that long, but doing it in steps is the best way.

-- Roger

I'm ordering the parts for an Estes Blackhawk in the original BT-50 version. Once I have it assembled I can spec out for much more serious versions. The DD setup will be interesting for this one. I'll probably set that up in the MK III version which will be 29mm MMT. I'm not sure it'd be safe to try and expand this design past a 38mm MMT size. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Back