Say Hello To The Newest L1 Certified TRF Member...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to pull it off today at the OROC launch at Sheridan today! L1 NAR certification.

Many thanks to Alan Hammond (for the ride), Wilson Alness (for certifying me), Rob Appleton (for the duct tape, motors and the support), Ed Harrison (for all the help, and the pink chute), Mark Hayes (Stickershock), Andrew Diehl (nosecone), and the rest of the folks that helped me with the OFFL build.

Motors flown today:
Aerotech G67R-M Redline for the first flight. Straight smoke, close landing

Aerotech H178DM-14A Metalstorm DM for my first attempt at L1 (fail)(started 3 small grass fires, OFFL's nosecone was damaged upon landing)

Aerotech I357T-14A Blue Thunder for my successful L1 certification. (OFFL's nosecone is now sporting a wonderful new look (Union Jack) courtesy of Rob Appleton) Certified by Wilson Alness.

Aerotech F50-6T for my PSII 2.5" based upscale of the Cherokee D. Straight smoke, parachute deployed late (hung up in the body tube, but eventually deployed), but still safe.

Now... where do I study up for my L2?

BTW, this is my 5495th post to TRF.

Last edited:
Here is a good place to study up for L2. Then fly a BUNCH of H and I motors! With the bigger motors you will probably need to get good at dual deploy, so you can learn about that here and apply that knowledge to new rockets. Don't be in a hurry to certify for your next level. This is not a contest, all you will win is the ability to spend more money... Congratulations! Now open up your wallet.

Congrats to what must be the most experienced L1 flight in history!

Thanks All!

Nice. Four launches in a day, that's some hustle!

And each was a different letter... I was offered a J at a pretty reasonable price, but it was a sparky and by that time sparkys were not permitted after yet another fire (which all seemed to be started by the people (myself included) hanging out in the same area).

I still need to launch an E motor. That way I can claim that I've launched everything from 1/4 A to an I. By the time I was wanting to launch an E, the winds had come up, and I wasn't feeling up to chasing a rocket quite that far.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (because I already have mine). :wink: Congrats!

i have a video of the cert launch on the Blue Thunder. I will process it and get it online for ya!

Congrats!! and I am glad that I could be a part of this. Sorry that the only available Duct tape was Union Jack flag pattern (damn it, no I ain't), but in repairing that beautiful nose cone with CA and duct tape should gain even more points and proof positive that you are now an official HPR guy.

My advice for the future.
Always pack duct tape, and choose a design that you like, it is amazing how many other people will end up with rockets with that tape on them!

We NEED a before and after pic of OFFL

Last edited:
i have a video of the cert launch on the Blue Thunder. I will process it and get it online for ya!

Congrats!! and I am glad that I could be a part of this. Sorry that the only available Duct tape was Union Jack flag pattern (damn it, no I ain't), but in repairing that beautiful nose cone with CA and duct tape should gain even more points and proof positive that you are now an official HPR guy.

My advice for the future.
Always pack duct tape, and choose a design that you like, it is amazing how many other people will end up with rockets with that tape on them!

We NEED a before and after pic of OFFL

Hi Rob!

Thanks For ALL the help (and the duct tape). Good luck with that special project you're working on (I'll let you announce it if/when the time is right).

When I can, I'll edit in a shot of each time it was on the pad, and the aftermath (plus video).

Cheers! :cheers:
Jim

[video=youtube;1yqCkBvYlTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqCkBvYlTI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Unfortunately for me, my camera's battery chose the last few seconds before my Cherokee D landed (while it was still falling w/o chute deployed) to die.

I have to say, it was one of the more suspenseful moments of the launch (besides the Big Bertha that nearly landed on me while I was out on the pad).

Hey that's really great...
A big congrats on that successful level 1 cert....
Enjoy those flights...
You've sure got some spectacular ones coming...

Teddy

Congratulations! Well done! That was incredible acceleration off the pad! WOW.

Congrats! I certified TRA L1 on the same day with my Estes Phoenix!

Back