Say Hello To The Newest L1 Certified TRF Member...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the Quapla! and the Blood Wine!!!!

again congratulations on your L1, and also say hello to the newest L2 on TRF- Me!

Congratulations, well done! And a great looking rocket too.

Aerotech H178DM-14A Metalstorm DM
for my first attempt at L1 (fail)(started 3 small grass fires, OFFL's nosecone was damaged upon landing)

what did you do differently for your successful L1 regarding the fires?

congrats btw!

@The Cylon Rocketeer: Toast some bread and break out the ambrosia? or would that be hot dogs & Starbucks? :) Would love to see a proper TOS raider done without a "flight probe".
Congrats to all! :)

Way to go Jim! I too earned my L1 flying a LOC Nuke Pro Maxx on a CTI 168H87-9. Just enough average thrust to lift my 2.3 lb rocket with a total impulse to keep it low and slow. It was my third attempt but I learned from my first two failures. I wish you all could see Jim's rockets in person. The photos just don't do them justice. I hope you keep flying in China!

Way to go Jim! I too earned my L1 flying a LOC Nuke Pro Maxx on a CTI 168H87-9. Just enough average thrust to lift my 2.3 lb rocket with a total impulse to keep it low and slow. It was my third attempt but I learned from my first two failures. I wish you all could see Jim's rockets in person. The photos just don't do them justice. I hope you keep flying in China!

谢谢

Welcome to the forums! And Congrats on your L1 too!

@The Cylon Rocketeer: Toast some bread and break out the ambrosia? or would that be hot dogs & Starbucks? :) Would love to see a proper TOS raider done without a "flight probe".
Congrats to all! :)

Got a clone of the estes Viper needing decals, but sadly no raider in the foreseeable future

Got a clone of the estes Viper needing decals, but sadly no raider in the foreseeable future

In reading Mike Dorffler's posts over on YORF, I learned that the announcement of the Cylon Raider was a premature move on the marketing department of Estes. They were never able to solve the problems caused by the shape of the ship, and thus it never made it to market. I'd think that a 1970's BSG Cylon Basestar might have a hope of being made flyable similar to a spool.

Congrats K'Tesh. I was on vacation when you started this thread and missed it until today.

In reading Mike Dorffler's posts over on YORF, I learned that the announcement of the Cylon Raider was a premature move on the marketing department of Estes. They were never able to solve the problems caused by the shape of the ship, and thus it never made it to market. I'd think that a 1970's BSG Cylon Basestar might have a hope of being made flyable similar to a spool.

Ok Jim, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! My next spool rocket will be a basestar

Or a long "probe" added to it like Estes does with other similar sci-fi rockets (ex. Star Destroyer, Tie-fighters, etc.).

Or a long "probe" added to it like Estes does with other similar sci-fi rockets (ex. Star Destroyer, Tie-fighters, etc.).

Beyond any probe, it would need serious clear fins to resolve the problems caused by the anhedral shape of the design.

battlestar_galactica_cylon_raider-43040.jpg

Beyond any probe, it would need serious clear fins to resolve the problems caused by the anhedral shape of the design.

raider_cylon_mk1.gif

Ok Jim, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! My next spool rocket will be a basestar

Centurian, the Imperious Leader is looking forward to it.

Lucifer.jpg

Failure will result in you joining your former comrade.

CGcylon.png

Last edited:

raider_cylon_mk1.gif

Centurian, the Imperious Leader is looking forward to it.

Lucifer.jpg

Failure will result in you joining your former comrade.

CGcylon.png

It may be awhile i have mass quantities of kits in my build pile, gotta get thru most of that first

Just brainstorming (or weariness from too much turkey and BF shopping), but wouldn't it be cool to make it a staged version of both...make it "harrier-staged" (I don't know if anyone has used this term before or it's a crazy coyote idea) where you send it up like a saucer and then have angled thrust to send it up at a slight angle (maybe 45 degrees) after that. I'm sure there's all sorts of complex crazy rocket science and figuring in order to get this to happen, but it also sounds crazy awesome! :grin:

Just brainstorming (or weariness from too much turkey and BF shopping), but wouldn't it be cool to make it a staged version of both...make it "harrier-staged" (I don't know if anyone has used this term before or it's a crazy coyote idea) where you send it up like a saucer and then have angled thrust to send it up at a slight angle (maybe 45 degrees) after that. I'm sure there's all sorts of complex crazy rocket science and figuring in order to get this to happen, but it also sounds crazy awesome! :grin:

Maybe have two angled tractor engines (ala "Deuces Wild" and DaddyIsABar's builds) on the cockpit and a large saucer engine pointed straight downwards and off-center (and/or slightly angled as well) to balance out the tractor engines? :grin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back