Min diam. 29mm rocket.. Where?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walldiver7

Reaction score
Are they any kit makers that produce a minimum diameter rocket for a 29mm motor? Our club has an altitude contest (for any rocket powered by any reloadable 29mm 2 grain motor) on the calendar, so thought I'd start researching a few that might be competitive. Thanks for the help.

Shadow has one that's sick looking. https://www.shadowaero.com/page1/page9/page9.html

The trouble with scratch building MD 29mm's now seems to be locating a decent nosecone. I know there are a ton of people in line for a decent 29mm nose when one hits the market. I have been hoping for CTI to make one similar to their 38mm but so far it hasn't happened.

In the end though, if I were doing this task I'd do it with a 38mm body tube any way as it would be easier to get the electronics in. The last one I flew reached 4300' on a 2 grain 29mm. Cheap, fun, high, what more does a guy need?

Last edited:
Yes, that's what happened; I couldn't locate the 29mm NC that I wanted. So,.. (not to drift off topic too much), where is this CTI 38mm cone you mentioned? Keeping this little contest cheap was our purpose. Thanks for the link!

Shadow has one that's sick looking. https://www.shadowaero.com/page1/page9/page9.html

The trouble with scratch building MD 29mm's now seems to be locating a decent nosecone. I know there are a ton of people in line for a decent 29mm nose when one hits the market. I have been hoping for CTI to make one similar to their 38mm but so far it hasn't happened.

In the end though, if I were doing this task I'd do it with a 38mm body tube any way as it would be easier to get the electronics in. The last one I flew reached 4300' on a 2 grain 29mm. Cheap, fun, high, what more does a guy need?

I think there will be some coming out fairly soon, lots of talk about them and the vendors are listening. I got impatient and ordered some 29mm thin wall FG on the last Rocketry Warehouse sale. I also picked up a few nosecones that will work until either a CTI or RW filament wound nosecone shows up.

Sounds like an interesting contest, but are you ready for altitudes up around 7K? The Battle of the Rockets ran G & H altitude contests but required a minimum body diameter of 54mm. The last year in 2011, the G motor topped 7K. Without the larger diameter required, even the 2G 29mm should be able to hit that altitude. Should make for interesting tracking and recovery methods.

Good Luck

Our launch site (4 Corners Rocketry Association) has a wavier to 18,400' for our monthly launches. I hold the record there, so far, at 18,112'... pretty sure I'll be under that with a 29mm 2 gr motor. This contest won't take place until May 2016, and during that time we'll have a second waiver in place that will allow flights to 54,400' (Sunday, May 30th), so if you're wanting to light something big, please join us.

I'm actually looking forward to the tracking part,... since this will be apogee deployment, the drift ought to be entertaining.

Sounds like an interesting contest, but are you ready for altitudes up around 7K? The Battle of the Rockets ran G & H altitude contests but required a minimum body diameter of 54mm. The last year in 2011, the G motor topped 7K. Without the larger diameter required, even the 2G 29mm should be able to hit that altitude. Should make for interesting tracking and recovery methods.

Good Luck

Yes, that's what happened; I couldn't locate the 29mm NC that I wanted. So,.. (not to drift off topic too much), where is this CTI 38mm cone you mentioned? Keeping this little contest cheap was our purpose. Thanks for the link!

Two very good 38mm noses that I am aware of are the CTI Vonkarman https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=748
and the Pinnacle https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=1224

I have had a couple Pinnacles and they are fantastic. I personally like the way they look better. The CTI 38mm nose is the ones you see in a lot of the new crop of sport 38mm rockets from WM and the like. They are very nice too and appear to be easier to finish.

Your contest sounds like a lot of fun. I love the simple apogee deploy rocket hide and go seek flights. Wished I could join in.

I think there will be some coming out fairly soon, lots of talk about them and the vendors are listening. I got impatient and ordered some 29mm thin wall FG on the last Rocketry Warehouse sale. I also picked up a few nosecones that will work until either a CTI or RW filament wound nosecone shows up.

Because I couldn't find any 29mm cones I liked, I passed on that FG sale. Had I known vendors were about to start expanding their 29mm nosecones, I would have bought. Where can I find this filament wound 38mm CTI cone?

THanks... I'll take a look. Yes, it's going to be fun... If you're in our neck of the desert come May, please join us!

Two very good 38mm noses that I am aware of are the CTI Vonkarman https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=748
and the Pinnacle https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=1224

I have had a couple Pinnacles and they are fantastic. I personally like the way they look better. The CTI 38mm nose is the ones you see in a lot of the new crop of sport 38mm rockets from WM and the like. They are very nice too and appear to be easier to finish.

Your contest sounds like a lot of fun. I love the simple apogee deploy rocket hide and go seek flights. Wished I could join in.

I would guess that the polycarb nosecones would be preferred for my application.

the cti cone is not FW, it is injection molded polycarbonate. I have two in 38 an done in 2.6". nice cones. https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=748 there are also 29mm standard wall fiberglass conical cones out there, I think RW may have some and apogee has 2 in stock https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Nose_Cones/Fiberglass_Nose_Cones/29mm_Fiberglass_Conical_5_1_Nose_Cone?cPath=42_47_61&

Wildman's Blackhawk 29 is no longer available according to the website.

I now have an ogive 29mm nose cone, made by a 3d printer. It was done by a friend and was designed for a firefly altimeter. I also ordered him 4 off-centered 29mm nose cones for parallel boosters. 3D printing might help you...

Printed nose cones.jpg

Printed nose cones2.jpg

Before I get all excited here, What is the max width board that will fit inside your 3d printed NC? I will fly (I hope) my TeleGps in the NC; It's width is 1".

I now have an ogive 29mm nose cone, made by a 3d printer. It was done by a friend and was designed for a firefly altimeter. I also ordered him 4 off-centered 29mm nose cones for parallel boosters. 3D printing might help you...

Last edited:
Would you think that a low power 1.6" paper tube rocket would hold together with a 2 grain 29mm motor pushing it? .... Like a CTI G126?

Would you think that a low power 1.6" paper tube rocket would hold together with a 2 grain 29mm motor pushing it? .... Like a CTI G126?

I believe this is exactly what Estesbasher does. He glasses Estes tubes and makes crazy small and light stuff. I wished I could see them in person.

I'm loving this tubing! And it is a perfect fit on those foam nosecones.
svBiDXhzLSl-Kx8rJNSsjPnaQw26w8z89CRlRT07Vtf4_UCBxxhDaaJ1dTCL38mwQtXwuU3ZbhnnEzBbBpIGz8mtOFNQChgcFnBZxmsPJ_RtMyTI7_TGIO75bEnlBBsnwGHduKinB-VaTxy6IzIQavP57yvwsbr-GWcFuzT0eFGwyUSKGSAh8zxve5m3ciYMKHm1qFuHx4SNyLDuP5odrfF9U8l_5f_D64XJYLPrrftzj2w31F1Nlp0UWgYyi7DYgnr51WLaXTQsAZX49F18G2aXOOkUwiPjsPTuYXfTBNwm6GxGvnYm7sIzOpoq3GkS_ct9A9QS_c73M1jSb40ogRdkqfmgR6SEijDZ6LAxtOSKpfoDx0RNewFWXDLwkToJk7iOdklm5FIFQ-L9KX1PdBB8tekIMHufcejM24Iy_vNv6ji71nOMDu43yBdB9vwIgJuYWrolPJhoOPTMxBWhFxPQQGD8nDk9iUmj4Rvs9ZgnIPwLWyCbVVoCmy2O78K0QDwgZuasYIL3UZWN-WsNX1CRHoiMGfL5xGeJx2ym2Aw=w890-h667-no

Last edited:
Apogee sells a 29mm ogive for thin wall tubing. AFAIK, it's the same cone used in the Aspire kit. Why a 2 grain motor? That eliminates the single-grain Aerotech G25, and the single grain end-burning F10, both very good motors for such a contest. The G25 uses the same case as 2 grain G motors.

I believe this is exactly what Estesbasher does. He glasses Estes tubes and makes crazy small and light stuff. I wished I could see them in person.[/QUOTE
The ones I've done lately have had two wraps of 3oz, fiberglass, I'll use the BT-55 tubes from Estes. This way I can turn the retainers to fit the outside of the tube. When you run these small of tubes MD. And you don't have some kind of positive retention, you take the chance of kicking the motor case at deployment. I ccan get these rockets in the 6K. range easy on the G-80-14 This rocket does over a mile on the G-64-10 Grouch if you want to see one fly Alex got a video of one flying, If you go to the bottom of the front page on the Uroc site. https://www.uroc.org/ Alex did a Montage from the year and it's at 3:51 into the video. That rocket did right at 6K on the G-80. I'll get a few more pictures together and post some more about these rockets.

Here are a few minimum diameter 29mm rockets I built. Cardboard tubes, plywood fins and apogee nose cones.

[YOUTUBE]wdIoBrKA-bk[/YOUTUBE]

Back