Ironic slip and fall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's just my twisted sense of humour, but I had to tell this one on myself.
It's had rained and was misting heavily when my wife asked for a grocery store run. I looked outside, it was dark and drizzly, so I put on a sweatshirt (Polecat Aerospace-what else?), grabbed my keys and jumped in Mobile Hangar No. 6 and jammed to the store. Not finding what I wanted I left and on the way back to the van, I had to cross over a Handicapped space. Yup! Traction was good on the asphalt with my flip-flops but when I hit that painted blue and white wheelchair logo-BAM! Down I went! Knocked the breath outta me so I'm kinda laying there, soaked and stunned, looking at the Handicapped symbol from and inch away. And started laughing (which really hurt more but I couldn't help it) thinking to myself "I just got injured on the Handicapped sign"! Thern a moment later-"Hmmm-I might have to use that space tomorrow'. I think bystanders might have thought I knocked myself silly because I kept laughing while struggling to get up. Yes, I have officially become a Stupid Old Man. Flip-flops in the rain indeed! Lesson learned. X-rays later today.

Last edited:
Now all you need is a good slip-n-fall lawyer! I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor and hope the x-rays find everything intact.

Ted

Papa seagull... if you don't make it.... can I still move into the Sono tubes at your house? :p

Oh man I sure hope you're OK Fritzy....
But I got one heck of a chuckle reading that ....
Thank you man...lol...

Be safe,,,
Especially around handicapped signs....

Teddy

Papa seagull... if you don't make it.... can I still move into the Sono tubes at your house? :p
Matt- you know I'd run heat, lights and lay carpet in 'em for you! Introductions to the wife may be a bit awkward at first, but I assure you she will adopt you with open arms-just don't let her con you into any home improvement schemes...I've ignored them for years (and it shows!)

Get well soon, and ... I wanted share this with too many people. :wink:
John- go ahead! maybe enough people will come out of the woodwork like Cosby's girlfriends and we could get a class action suit for non-skid blue paint. Tens of people may be saved from the suffering!

At work we need to restripe the parking lot. Maybe some sand in the paint like an old army helmet, but that would ruin the looks on the lines of the symbol template. Good looks of a shiny, smooth paint job or an old gritty surface? The client will want good looks, maybe even a Future finish or canuba wax. Yes, a nice deep shine is the way to go on any finish, I have read way too many rocket finishing technique threads on TRF. Could put up a "No old dudes in flip flops" sign. Although that might be as UN PC as the "No fat chicks" signs they had in Fraternities during the 80's. I guess we will just have to watch out the window and keep tally on the dry erase board; there goes another old dude down, it looks like the magnum bottle Schlitz Malt Liquor survived but the breakfast eggs did not! Score double!:)

Disclaimer: Slip and fall is a very serious issue and should not be treated lightly. Nor is it couth to assume an old dude would be carrying eggs and malt liquor coming out of a market. Point tallies like in Death Race 2000 are strictly forbidden.

At work we need to restripe the parking lot. Maybe some sand in the paint like an old army helmet, but that would ruin the looks on the lines of the symbol template. Good looks of a shiny, smooth paint job or an old gritty surface? The client will want good looks, maybe even a Future finish or canuba wax. Yes, a nice deep shine is the way to go on any finish, I have read way too many rocket finishing technique threads on TRF. Could put up a "No old dudes in flip flops" sign. Although that might be as UN PC as the "No fat chicks" signs they had in Fraternities during the 80's. I guess we will just have to watch out the window and keep tally on the dry erase board; there goes another old dude down, it looks like the magnum bottle Schlitz Malt Liquor survived but the breakfast eggs did not! Score double!:)

Disclaimer: Slip and fall is a very serious issue and should not be treated lightly. Nor is it couth to assume an old dude would be carrying eggs and malt liquor coming out of a market. Point tallies like in Death Race 2000 are strictly forbidden.
For what it's worth, most floor waxes used in public places are formulated for traction as well as for shine. American store managers know all about getting sued for folks slipping on the floor. So they don't use waxes that make the floor slippery

I thought most parking lot & road stripe paints were enhanced for traction as well. So, I can't help but wonder whether the proper paint was used. IMO, fyrwrxz may have a legitimate complaint with the grocery store if he wanted to pursue it. That said, I appreciate his attitude about blaming it the flip-flops.

Doug

Last edited:
That is the most literal case of 'You spot it , you got it ...' I have seen !

Next time park it at Platinum Plus or Cheetahs.. the EMTs may still need to carry you out , but they can difibulate you to get the smile off your face...

Kenny

I'm calling shenanigans on this story.

Everyone knows "it never rains in California..."

Glad to hear that so far it's only your pride that was injured.

Maybe it's just my twisted sense of humour, but I had to tell this one on myself.
It's had rained and was misting heavily when my wife asked for a grocery store run. I looked outside, it was dark and drizzly, so I put on a sweatshirt (Polecat Aerospace-what else?), grabbed my keys and jumped in Mobile Hangar No. 6 and jammed to the store. Not finding what I wanted I left and on the way back to the van, I had to cross over a Handicapped space. Yup! Traction was good on the asphalt with my flip-flops but when I hit that painted blue and white wheelchair logo-BAM! Down I went! Knocked the breath outta me so I'm kinda laying there, soaked and stunned, looking at the Handicapped symbol from and inch away. And started laughing (which really hurt more but I couldn't help it) thinking to myself "I just got injured on the Handicapped sign"! Thern a moment later-"Hmmm-I might have to use that space tomorrow'. I think bystanders might have thought I knocked myself silly because I kept laughing while struggling to get up. Yes, I have officially become a Stupid Old Man. Flip-flops in the rain indeed! Lesson learned. X-rays later today.

Dave, I hope you are getting better. I sprained my ankle three weeks ago and it still hurts.

Mike

Dave, I hope you are getting better. I sprained my ankle three weeks ago and it still hurts.

Mike
Mike-all I'm gonna say is the Doc told me (along with a whole laundry list) I had sprained my big toe on my left foot. Still makes me giggle, even tho' it hurts like the dickens. I can empathize with you about you ankle and it's okay to laff with me about spraining a big toe-who does that, anyway??? Contrary to popular belief..I have never had a ballet lesson in my life..hmmm....nope! Too late!

Back