Binder Design Raptor (Evolution) Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Cause I don't know jack about 98mm motors, and didn't know that they were plugged. OK... Scratch the baffle.

[EDIT] Wait... if I were to use an adapter to bring it down to a 54mm motor (or even a 75mm motor? (are they plugged?)) a baffle would be a good idea. Ok... it's back in.

Not sure about all 75mm, but most are plugged afaik. MR would also weigh somewhere upwards of 40 lbs.

Not sure about all 75mm, but most are plugged afaik. MR would also weigh somewhere upwards of 40 lbs.

Just checked with the 98mm motor I "loaded" into the sim (a N motor, it comes to be over 52lbs. Something tells me I need to finish reading Modern High Power Rocketry before I launch into anything of that size.

Weight w/o motor was a smidge over 20lbs (of course this is just an OR simulation (with a cardboard rocket)), and with the highest power L motor in OR I could find put it in at 31lbs.

I'll repeat this though... at this time it is just a thought exercise, and I am nowhere near ready to go out and start buying parts for this.

Last edited:
Just checked with the 98mm motor I "loaded" into the sim (a N motor, it comes to be over 52lbs. Something tells me I need to finish reading Modern High Power Rocketry before I launch into anything of that size.

Weight w/o motor was a smidge over 20lbs (of course this is just an OR simulation (with a cardboard rocket)), and with the highest power L motor in OR I could find put it in at 31lbs.

I'll repeat this though... at this time it is just a thought exercise, and I am nowhere near ready to go out and start buying parts for this.

I expect my 5.5" Cherokee-D upscale to weigh somewhere between 30 and 40 lbs ready to fly. Currently the OR simulation does not include the FG wrapped airframe or the lightened and CF laminated fin with endgrain balsa cores, and the sim currently is at 27 lbs.

Last edited:
Premature. It's gonna be awhile, but sometime next year. It will get done quicker if y'all get noisy about it.

Me me me! I went back and forth between the Raptor and Galaxy, picked the Galaxy, and have been kicking myself ever since the Raptor went OOP.

Galaxy.01.jpg

New bling for my Velociraptor... A custom motor retainer from Binder Design.

23040015069_bc79b7f3cd_z.jpg
23407995205_573a8f6d56_z.jpg

I chose to pay for the part in order to reproduce the appearance of the prototype Velociraptor (if it had been originally designed for a 54mm rocket). The Prototype VRaptor's 38mm "metal" retainer was actually a modified PVC union (see image below) from Home Depot, sanded down and painted with Rustoleum metallic.. Mike told me that he had problems with it melting some during its flights (six in total).

So... This:

23408422275_17813ef0f3.jpg

Became this retainer:

So, instead my Velociraptor of looking like:

It'll look like:

Unfortunately, I can't get Traditional Chinese Characters (伶盜龍) to look like they were supposed to, so this is the Simplified Chinese Characters (伶盗龙).

Last edited:
Raptor re-release in 2016: 75mm MMT, full decal set, pre-slotted tubing, CNC'ed parts. Might as well bring it back, my competitors are selling a lot of clones based off of it.

Curious, as I have not started on my Raptor kit I bought earlier this year, what would a full decal set look like for the 2016 release (?) The 75mm mount option is nearly a must these days...

Curious, as I have not started on my Raptor kit I bought earlier this year, what would a full decal set look like for the 2016 release (?) The 75mm mount option is nearly a must these days...

Similar to the Velociraptor decals in a color of your choice.

Although I think my Raptor equipped with a tailcone looks so much better at 54mm with the pronounced transition.

Agreed, the angle of the tailcone compliments the angles on the fins.

OK, maybe a little clearer, here's the a$$ end hanging from my basement wall...

View attachment 277105

Nice Raptor!

Similar to the Velociraptor decals in a color of your choice.

Will we be able to order the decal sets separately?

OK, maybe a little clearer, here's the a$$ end hanging from my basement wall...

attachment.php

Like it's been said before... Nice Work! It does look good with the tail cone complementing the fins. It's a little late for mine to get that treatment (the engine mount has been installed, but then the entire project got stuffed into boxes in preparation for my move.

My bling arrived today... Very shiny! :cool2:

Only 1.60 oz (.1 of which is the internal retaining ring).

Latest posts

Back