Sneak Peak: Jolly Logic's Easy Dual Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my first launch today with the Chute Release. What an awesome product! I failed to get the actual release of the main chute on video, but here is a vidcap of the yellow pilot chute (just an 18" long windsock reconfigured with shroud lines) and the purple main chute bound by the Chute Release.

John, thanks for a GREAT product!
vlcsnap-2016-10-25-22h07m59s296.png

Mike Momenee
TRA #12430 L3

Last edited:
Bought a second one this week for the same rocket to test out this weekend. One on the main chute and one on GI Joe who get's ejected. This will allow me to fly higher than I've flown before, and since I rebuilt the rocket, I cannot wait to see how it goes. Having the release on both ensures they don't float off to Georgia never to be seen again! One hint. You gotta turn them on! That's why I rebuilt this rocket. Had a real DA moment in the spring!!

Sorry, haven't read all 26 pages of this thread, but one question:

Is there a development of a Chute release & altimeter build into one package?

Sorry, haven't read all 26 pages of this thread, but one question:

Is there a development of a Chute release & altimeter build into one package?

Not yet, but I think it's safe to say we are all eagerly waiting for an Altimeter 4/Chute Release.

Put me on the list. I will buy at least one.

Me too.

While we're dreaming, I'd love to see something that could serve as an all-in-one deployment/recovery device. I think it would be cool if I could use a JLCR-like device to measure altitude, sense apogee, blow a ejection charge and then keep the chute bundled until it reached a set altitude. In essence, it would make AV bays obsolete.

Bought a second one this week for the same rocket to test out this weekend. One on the main chute and one on GI Joe who get's ejected. This will allow me to fly higher than I've flown before, and since I rebuilt the rocket, I cannot wait to see how it goes. Having the release on both ensures they don't float off to Georgia never to be seen again! One hint. You gotta turn them on! That's why I rebuilt this rocket. Had a real DA moment in the spring!!

Look me up at BattlePark on Sunday. I'll be using my CR for the first time this weekend. I would be very interested in your setup.

Look me up at BattlePark on Sunday. I'll be using my CR for the first time this weekend. I would be very interested in your setup.

You bet. I have one attached to my daughter's momba. Then move it over to my Mega Black Max. Then move it over to the GI Joe Lofter. This time I'm adding that second I mentioned to GI Joe. REALLY easy to setup. Just don't forget to turn it on! :) See you Sunday!

Me too.

While we're dreaming, I'd love to see something that could serve as an all-in-one deployment/recovery device. I think it would be cool if I could use a JLCR-like device to measure altitude, sense apogee, blow a ejection charge and then keep the chute bundled until it reached a set altitude. In essence, it would make AV bays obsolete.

I would like to see ejection charges become obsolete entirely. You should buy a motor just for it's "up" job, then electronics should do the rest. Imagine no more ejection timing guesses and motor drilling and powder measuring, no more black residue all over everything. No more blankets, no more wadding...

I would like to see ejection charges become obsolete entirely. You should buy a motor just for it's "up" job, then electronics should do the rest. Imagine no more ejection timing guesses and motor drilling and powder measuring, no more black residue all over everything. No more blankets, no more wadding...

I could get into that, but if it was all that simple it would take all the fun out of it! ;)

You are reading my mind, John. I wanted to say something like "beyond black powder" in my post above, but I didn't want to push my luck.

And how exactly would that work? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it. But how?

Interesting. I'll take a stab. Spring loaded "gun trigger" spike thingie is released by a servo and pierces a CO2 cartridge or opens a valve. Keeping the size down is a formidable task I expect.
All that sitting on the harness........ Now that would be cool. This puppy will be waiting to see.

I'm glad it's not like the device that was a no ematch required, used a battery and a glow plug to set off a BP charge. I'd figure it would take a new pricey R/C glow plug every flight.

Any movement on the smart mesh network GPS tracking system mentioned in the past? Maybe not as much expected demand anymore due to the release of other trackers? I still think as previously presented
it would be the ultimate loss prevention algorithm out there. I especially liked the concept of hoisting up a relay transceiver on a hydrogen or helium balloon 100' or so in the air and use that as a relay to a
transceiver on the ground. That would no doubt have covered the tracking needs of nearly 100% of the flights of sport fliers caliber. Kurt

Last edited:
A lot of development and experimentation left to do, but when I said 'electronically' I meant it. No CO2, that's expensive a little dangerous, too. And it's a consumable that's not always available.

And I'd like the solution let you move it from rocket to rocket as easily as possible, rather than 'building it into' each rocket.

I think if done correctly, it could be SO much more reliable and clean and safe than what is currently done. We are still relying on fireworks technology for rocketry. Amazing how little has changed since the first rockets developed by Orville Carlisle and Harry Stine.

A lot of development and experimentation left to do, but when I said 'electronically' I meant it. No CO2, that's expensive a little dangerous, too. And it's a consumable that's not always available.

And I'd like the solution let you move it from rocket to rocket as easily as possible, rather than 'building it into' each rocket.

I think if done correctly, it could be SO much more reliable and clean and safe than what is currently done. We are still relying on fireworks technology for rocketry. Amazing how little has changed since the first rockets developed by Orville Carlisle and Harry Stine.

If anyone can get this done, I think it might be you :) water rocket folks like servos and rubber bands :)

I think we'd all be interested, but it's going to be really hard to beat black powder for power to weight ratio.

I like the way you are thinking John. I'm sure you will continue to improve on the ways of old.
You have my best of luck and wishes in your progress.

And maybe we can eliminate all that dangerous motor propellant and power our rockets with rubber bands too.

I like the Chute Release (I've bought four so far) but I also like black powder ejection charges.

Fourth flight and the CR is gone!!!!

Had the CR in the in my Leviathan on a H128W. Something caused the chute to deploy at motor burnout, or shortly there after. I got the fin can, a piece of the BT, and the chute and nose cone back. The fincan was zippered down to the MMT. The piece of BT was also zippered and tore off about 9" below the top. I suspect the zipper part opened and caught air during the de-kitting event. I had about 4 ft of Kevlar glued to the MMT and the stock elastic shock cord attached to that. The elastic shock cord broke about an inch above the kevlar. The chute, nose cone and all the elastic shock cord came down together. The chute was intact and all the shroud lines were fine, including the one the CR was attached to, but the CR was gone. My guess, with the violent de-kitting of the Leviathan, the knot on the tether let loose and that's how the CR disappeared. Since the knot is the weakest link, I doubt the tether broke.

I'll be getting another, but I plan to use a larger stronger tether then what came with the first one.

On thing I've found with the three flights I did have, you will have to start thinking about swivels on the fincan like DD. The rockets seldom spin and twist up the cord while coming down under chute, but falling with the chute wrapped, the fincan can and some do spin like a DD rocket when falling under drogue.

Estes Leviathan with a CTI H255 6 grain blue streak. It shot off the pad, hit a cloud... and everyone lost visual. It was gone. For over an hour I searched and couldn't find it, and was beginning to lament the loss of my CR when....

It was found... in the ditch, submersed. CR wouldn't respond...

until it did.

TL;DR - it was under water for a good hour, I dried it out and it still works.

Got in a quick flight of my Madcow Mini DX3 this morning after work. A simple $40 rocket loaded up with $300 worth of electronics. My Jolly Logic Altimeter 3 came in the mail today, so of course I had to test it. Love it! The plastic that the housing is made of could be a little more robust, though. Motor was an Estes E16-6. Here's the flight data and the onboard video. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477937773.374956.jpg
https://youtu.be/n8-1FVmihfY

I agree about the swivels. Since I always fly camcorders, I found out early on that swivels dampen some of the dizzying spins as the rocket is descending under drogue, and to a lesser extent, under main. The swivels may prevent other problems that I never even considered.

I have replaced the stock tethers on the Chute Release with 200# kevlar cord and I CA'd the knot. That kevlar replacement might be a suggestion for John for future Chute Release shipments.

The thing that I've done to eliminate zippers (so far) is to attach one piece of kevlar cord connected to either side of the motor mount tube (oftentimes drilling through the centering rings on opposite sides of the MMT and using small eye bolts as the kevlar attachment points). I'll then attach the long kevlar shock cord (no elastic shock cord) to that kevlar loop via a quicklink so that it can center itself on the kevlar loop connected to the fincan at drogue deployment. I always connect the fincan section to the lower body tube section via coupler and short phillips head sheet metal screws so that I can get at that shock cord connection if necessary. Only one zipper since 2009, and that was because of a cluster motor failure on a DD rocket.

Mike Momenee
TRA # 12430 L3

Last edited:
I would like to suggest you use an animal based glue that is a bit flexible to secure a knot. CA will freeze the fibers in one position and if the knot is jerked from side to side, the kevlar fibers will snap. A flexible glue will allow the fibers some "wiggle" room. If you must use CA, use the tiniest bit just on the end of the cut ends of the cord so they don't pull through the knot. Keep the CA off the knot itself if you can so the fibers stay flexible.

Of course if you lose a lot of rockets and JLCR devices, you won't need to worry about longevity that much then! :jaw::surprised: Kurt

Back