Sneak Peak: Jolly Logic's Easy Dual Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you mail it to me and let me check it out? Address on Jolly Logic website under support. I'll make sure it's back in fighting shape. Be sure to include your return address.

Now that's -amazing- customer support!!! I am not aware of any other electronics manufacturer that would do that!

What do you suppose Apple would say if told them I dropped my phone in the drink... "Yea, sorry, good luck with that"

Now that's -amazing- customer support!!! I am not aware of any other electronics manufacturer that would do that!

What do you suppose Apple would say if told them I dropped my phone in the drink... "Yea, sorry, good luck with that"

+1 on that. Simply the best.

Tried it out for the first time, and had a failure through no fault of the device. I succumbed to go fever. Basically, the chute was too tight and didn't get out of the body tube. CR worked properly--when the chute came out, it all fell open. I should have done the blow test and I should have listened to the little voice saying "That's too tight..." when I was packing the laundry.

That said, I have a suggestion for those flying with chutes that fit tightly. I was having issues with getting the chute packed small enough that the band would hold it securely and then still fit it into the body tube with CR hanging on the side. I saw (and blow-tested on a 38mm) the setup shown earlier in the thread for using the CR with a 38mm body tube. I should have done that with this flight.

Again, the failure was no fault of the CR device. It was completely undamaged; the mud wiped right off, but I'm in the doghouse for borrowing my daughter's rocket and core sampling it. A shortening and repainting await me now.

Not the sharpest video, but the following is an interesting look at the Chute Release in action:

[video=youtube;wWdCtpHPXJw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWdCtpHPXJw[/video]

You may need to select one of the higher resolutions, such as 1080p, to be able to make out the rocket against the background. Click the "Settings" (gear) button after clicking "Play" to choose the resolution.

It shows Steve Moon's Madcow Mini Patriot being launched with a Chute Release. The video was taken from an altitude of just under 400'. I pulled back pretty far from the expected flight path in order to try to capture as much of the flight as possible (the camera on the 'copter can't pan up above horizontal and it's challenging to track a rocket in flight). So, the video is "digitally zoomed" and slowed down - not the best quality, but it's a unique view.

I think the Chute Release was set to deploy at 200'. The angle of the video makes it appear lower, but from the ground it looked about right.

There were two other Chute Release flights at our local launch. Gary Dahlke flew a LOC Graduator twice. The first time, the rocket barely reached the 300' altitude for which he had set the Chute Release. So, it looked like a typical flight with the parachute deploying at apogee. The second time, he used a larger motor and set the Chute Release to 200'. This time the boost was straight up and, after apogee, the rocket fell for quite a while before the parachute released. So, the Chute Release worked as designed for all three of the flights.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Impressive. Did it weathercock badly? Sorta seemed like it was flying quite a ballistic arc. Might've been the camera angle? Looks like it could have been zipper city if it had been a cardboard tubed rocket with an apogee only deployment.
The chute release looks like it did the job nicely nonetheless. Kurt

Impressive. Did it weathercock badly? Sorta seemed like it was flying quite a ballistic arc. Might've been the camera angle? Looks like it could have been zipper city if it had been a cardboard tubed rocket with an apogee only deployment.

The launch angle was a little shallow because of the way the wind was blowing and where the wet field forced us to set up.

-- Roger

You're fine. Jolly Logic shipping is free.

Yep, your shipping is free, but Pat's at DinoChutes isn't for the small item I ordered (the JL CR protector)... Oops. That's OK though. Just should have ordered more from Pat...

Adrian

Last edited:
Got my chute release today after only placing the order Monday night... Wow. Awesome!
The thing is tiny. Looking forward to using it on Saturday.

Adrian

Refurbished my trusty Honest John 2.6 rocket for a Chute Release (CR) test flight at the BARC launch this Saturday using a H163 motor. Removed the old 9-16" nylon shock cord (that was fun...) replacing it with a 1,000 LBF braided Kevlar cord, replaced the 24" chute with a 42" Fruity elliptical chute, and setup CR to open at 400ft.

Launched my Wildman Interceptor 54 today on a CTI G60R just for a little fun shot. Don't know exact altitude (1), but it fell for quite a while before the chute release did it's magic at 200 ft. Worked perfectly! Thanks John! Next, I'm gonna push the limits and try it on my LOC IROC... 38mm 6XL something in there and see what happens....

Adrian (1) A Jolly Logic 2 or 3 is next on my list I guess so I'd know the altitude, right?

I launched mine today with a i55 mellow. It worked according to someone who saw my bird coming down but even with a 7 ft streamer plus the chute, so a lot of bright fabric, the rocket is lost somewhere. My altimeter three was in there too. I spent 3 hours looking for it to no avail. There was even a cell gps that always has worked in there but I guess the dark void of space it is in does not have cell reception either. So I had to give up... I am heartbroken that I lost that thing and the altimeter three.

6 flights. 6 perfect deployments. 3 different users. Can't ask for better. I think you will be getting lots of orders.

Someone asked me what is the largest chute used so far? Also what is the max weight pull on the pin? Does it lockup or does the pin pull out/fail?

Two great Chute Release flights today at BARC's BSL-014 (So. Jersey). The wind was 7-10 MPH with gusts close to 14 MPH. My test flight was with my Honest John 2.6, CTI H163, 42" fruity elliptical chute, CR set to 400'. The other member's flight was a LOC Starburst, AT F50, CR set to 200'. We estimated our chutes deployed within 50' of being released.

Someone asked me what is the largest chute used so far? Also what is the max weight pull on the pin? Does it lockup or does the pin pull out/fail?

The elastic bands are used to limit the tension so that it won't bind the mechanism. You have to go well past binding before you break the pin.

If if we published binding and breaking tensions, how would anyone use those? It's not like people have tension meters they can consult.

Ground testing can can reassure you that the tension isn't binding.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'll pass along the information. I think you've got a fantastic product!!

The elastic bands are used to limit the tension so that it won't bind the mechanism. You have to go well past binding before you break the pin...
I agree that having the numerical binding data might not be useful to many, but perhaps you might consider adding a photo (or two - one for each band size) to your website that gives users a visual sense of how far the bands can be stretched before reaching the binding point? Something that shows the end diameter of an object with the band stretched around it that closely approaches a binding point.

I know that would help me know what to avoid...

Used my shiny new Chute-Release on an Aerotech Sumo yesterday with an H165R. Lobbed it to 1000' and set deployment to 500'. Worked flawlessly with the caveat that John does mention. Plan on a moment or so for the laundry to deploy. I had mine in a tight little burrito of parachute and Nomex. From the ground it appeared to take maybe 100' to relax and inflate. I am going to look at some alternative ways to fold and improve on the spring factor of the folded fabric. I also think it is possible the Nomex may contribute to the slight delay here as it is a bit stiff.

Back