Fliskits Anniversary Launch with CMASS 26 Sept 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Less than a week-and-a-half before the Fliskits 13th Anniversary launch with CMASS in Amesbury, MA.

Check out Jim's Anniversary page to see what contests and events are planned; there are lots of photo contests for everyone to enter. Special contests and raffles will be announced on the field at the launch. Bring your Fliskits rockets and fly them as often as you can.

Take a look at this thread about the special commemorative and memorial kit Jim has released.

From what I hear, there will be CAKE available, too.

Oh man, we're getting close!

We're kitting like bunnies to be sure we have enough kits in the store, I'm preparing more protos to fly (CMASS attendees get to see all the cool stuff before they become kits...), the CAKE has been ordered and the extended forecast looks fantastic!

If you attend just one launch in the North East, this is the one to attend!

Raffles, contests, special launches, fun, cake, lunch.... It just keeps getting better and better!

Hope to see you there!

Also, don't forget all the fun we're having all month long on our site! Send us birthday wishes for chances to win! Send pix of FlisKits products you've built/flown, pix of Jim or Brian, pix of Bill Spadafora for each of our photo contests for even more prizes!

FlisKits. "More stuff, so you can have more fun!"

Quick follow up, seeing as this is THE anniversary thread :)

We've selected, and posted, the winners of our weekly drawings to date.

They are:

Week 1: Frank Baeyens
Week 2: Mario Macera
Week 3: James Gann

Congrats to all the winners! Next Friday we have another drawing, just before our launch, then our final drawing on the 30th, so keep watch!

I'll be there! This will be my first time ever attending a club launch, and it sounds like it's going to be a big one.

I haven't launched a rocket in months, and last time was with a bunch of kids in a parking lot, when I was teaching a rocketry camp. I had to make sure the rockets didn't go much over 300 feet, so we launched mainly on A motors, and I didn't launch any of my own rockets I was too attached to (asphalt landing area!).

I've got a few I've built but never launched, so I hope to get one or two of those in the air.

Our household is excited and looking forward to this launch. If the winds are favorable we will fly our Richtor Recker, the "Iron Man". I have been busy this weekend wiring up ignition clusters on our Deuces Wild and her sister clones,... and for a maiden flight of our Tres. These will all fly on C6-5's. A Lil' Guy and a Triskelion are coming along also. Thanks Jim for picking up the flight fees,.. and for making this the coolest launch every year.

Unfortunately, I don't have any FlisKits rockets - though I have had some on my wishlist for some time. What a fool I've been not to have built them before now! But I didn't know this special event would be my first club launch.

Still, that means that maybe I can get my first one from the man himself!

I'll be attempting to launch my Quest Quadrunner 4-motor cluster (second attempt - I had my Q2G2's in wrong the first time), a few of my favorite low power rockets, and maybe one or two of my other never-launched mid power rockets as well.

I haven't launched in ages, and I'm so looking forward to this. It's going to do me a world of good to get out there and meet some other rocketeers!

Last edited:
Oh, man, have YOU picked the right launch to get back into the swing of things :)

Yeah, yer gonna have a ball, and the weather looks fantastic!

4 days to go!

I realized I should ask, since this is my first club launch... Apart from rockets, motors, igniters and wadding, what should I bring? I've never been to one of these things before.

Oh, and probably money! I'm sure there will be vendors!

But apart from those things, what do I bring to the launch?

I realized I should ask, since this is my first club launch... Apart from rockets, motors, igniters and wadding, what should I bring? I've never been to one of these things before.

Oh, and probably money! I'm sure there will be vendors!

But apart from those things, what do I bring to the launch?
You've got it covered. The club even has a supply of dog barf at the trailer so bringing your own wadding is optional, but a good idea if that's what you prefer.

FlisKits will obviously be the center-of-attention vendor on the field this week but AMW/ProX will be there in the person of Jason for any of your CTI reload needs as well as LOC, Mad Cow and Rocketry Warehouse kits. He'll also have lots of Estes kits and motors. We sometimes get visits from Cosmodrome Rocketry and our newest vendor, MAC Performance Rocketry.

There will be the famous CMASS hot dogs available at noon for lunch; they've been powering rocketeers for decades now. There will also be soft drinks, chips and cookies for sale by the club. Bring your sweet tooth along because, as you may have heard, FlisKits will have an anniversary CAKE that will be served early in the afternoon.

If you are so inclined, bring a camera; there will be lots of great shots to be had and we can always use more pictures in the gallery on the CMASS website.

CATO-Chutes will also be there. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and getting some good flying in. And, of course, CAKE

I'll be there, this is one of the best launches of the year. Maybe I'll actually get a piece of cake this year. I've learned you gotta be quicker than a V Max if you want a piece.
Time to dig out all my Fliskits models....

I'll be there, this is one of the best launches of the year. Maybe I'll actually get a piece of cake this year. I've learned you gotta be quicker than a V Max if you want a piece.
Time to dig out all my Fliskits models....

We've seen the post of your complete fleet; you'd better get started if you expect to be there in time for CAKE on Saturday.

YA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun times ahead! :wave: :wave:

And you will see the first ever fully sanctioned CMASS approved HPR staging flight. Possibly the only one that will ever happen.

Bob K. If you don't know about this, ask Kenn or Howie...they will explain.

That was awesome, guys! Thanks for a great first launch.

I've got a few pictures I'll post soon.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443321583.159697.jpg
View from behind the flight line. Good crowd today.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443321632.734781.jpg
View of my Aerobee in a power line. Hot wire cutter fired fine but 700' was way too high in the wind. Power company had it down undamaged within 1/2 hour of being summoned by local police - brilliant service!

Great Day!
Thanks to Jim and everyone else for making this launch super.
And a big thanks to all the rocketeers that came to this launch.
Wouldn't be much fun without the flyers,now would it?
A lot of real nice rockets to see and some far out wicked crazy scratchers. I mean, I see some really neat ideas.
I saw one of the BEST drag races ever. Two birds neck and neck ,side by side all the way to climax. The crowd went WILD!!!
I did miss me pal "Big "D"".

Me-self..it went good until overtime.....(4pm-4:30pm) :facepalm:
Lawn darted me Big Daddy, "UnderDog". That hurt..:cry:
Then I under powered me CRDR Spacelines, it did a CATO landing.ending in lots of pieces parts.

Me RockStar "Purple Haze" flew as true as ever. Straight up,this bird has never let me down.
Well , chute popped and it floated all the way out into the marsh behind pad "C".
I thought for sure it was GONE!!!!!
Here I am 5"6 trying to walk thru grass that's 5' tall. Anywhoo..I emerge from this jungle and Im standing on the banks of a dry gulch /channel that's maybe 10' across. I looks to me left and OPPS,THERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me bird was laying on the far bank, about 20' away. If it had landed anywhere else out there..gone! The ODDS????

People had some different comments on me birds...some people didn't know what to make of a couple them.. to me, that's :cool:

Heres the pics I took.Dont know whos who.just rocketeers having fun..
The last two are of a rocketeer getting the final answer on his L1 cert. He was a happy camper.

DSCN3246.JPG

DSCN3259.JPG

DSCN3237.JPG

DSCN3238.JPG

DSCN3239.JPG

DSCN3242.JPG

DSCN3260.JPG

DSCN3261.JPG

DSCN3255.jpg

DSCN3256.jpg

Last edited:
more pics.
I flew me "Absolute Zero" for the first time in years. Also, the "CRDR"" and the "Cosmic Soup" took to the skies again.
The SAUCER was a hit.

DSCN3252.jpg

DSCN3244.JPG

DSCN3245.JPG

DSCN3257.JPG

DSCN3258.JPG

DSCN3250.jpg

DSCN3264.jpg

DSCN3272.jpg

DSCN3266.jpg

Last edited:
My Quest Quadrunner finally got off the pad at this launch!

[video]https://youtu.be/PClIuUg0I24[/video]

My cluster, an inch off the pad, the flag in the background

IMG_0467.jpg

One of Boris', I think

IMG_0469.jpg

Don't know whose this is, but I like the smoke...

IMG_0470.jpg

Another of mine, one of my favorite low power models

IMG_0471.jpg

Another one, I don't know whose it is (sorry, guys, I should've taken notes)

IMG_0475.jpg

Taking a picture of one of my babies, in case I lost it...

IMG_0479.jpg

That previous set was from my girlfriend's camera. These are from mine.

First, this is a beautiful flag (it's my avatar now)

CMASS Flag 03.jpg

One of the first high power launches I saw

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

Cool liftoff (if anyone can ID these, I'm sure the rocketeers in question would appreciate it!)

DSCN1296.jpg

I remember this FlisKits rocket was named The Tin Man, but I didn't catch the guy's name

DSCN1304.jpg

Whoever it is, you can see he's a stable guy.

Whoosh!!

DSCN1309.jpg

Finally learned to get my Q2G2's in right, after an embarrassing blog post.

DSCN1316.jpg

Another high power launch

DSCN1325.jpg

I should have introduced myself to this guy, because he built some really sweet-looking scale models, but I was feeling a little shy (first club launch for me)

DSCN1343.jpg

Just missed this one... Whoaaaa!!!

DSCN1351.jpg

This one was a really lucky shot, because it went fast!

DSCN1357.jpg

This one too...

DSCN1358.jpg

That previous set was from my girlfriend's camera. These are from mine.

First, this is a beautiful flag (it's my avatar now)

View attachment 273705

One of the first high power launches I saw

View attachment 273706

View attachment 273707

Cool liftoff (if anyone can ID these, I'm sure the rocketeers in question would appreciate it!)

View attachment 273708

I remember this FlisKits rocket was named The Tin Man, but I didn't catch the guy's name

View attachment 273709

Whoever it is, you can see he's a stable guy.

Whoosh!!

View attachment 273712

Finally learned to get my Q2G2's in right, after an embarrassing blog post.

View attachment 273713

Another high power launch

View attachment 273714

Im thinking the "Tin Man" is actually me Fliskits RockStar..named "Purple Haze" maybe-maybe not. Sure looks like it.
Anywhoo---it was a great day. Thanks for the pictures.

Im thinking the "Tin Man" is actually me Fliskits RockStar..named "Purple Haze" maybe-maybe not. Sure looks like it.
Anywhoo---it was a great day. Thanks for the pictures.

"Tin Man" is Scott Clement's ACME spitfire with a Deuce's Wild motor mount. That's Scott wearing the "stable" shirt.

The photo above "Tin Man" is your "Purple Haze".

"Tin Man" is Scott Clement's ACME spitfire with a Deuce's Wild motor mount. That's Scott wearing the "stable" shirt.

The photo above "Tin Man" is your "Purple Haze".
It all makes sense now.... :lol:
Thanks again for the pictures.
Be nice if more people would take and post pics of these launches.

Especially if they post them in the CMASS gallery, too.

I shall do that.

I try to bring both video and still cameras to every launch. I'm sure I'll get some good stuff for the gallery (and TRF).

The grey Aerobee-Hi is mine - it went up on at CTI H-125 with a 7-8s delay. Leapt off the pad as it it a mere 3.5lbs. Straight and true flier. Nice pic!!

Back