Estes intercepter(k1250) parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
reading a post requesting the parts kit...got me thinking about the 'olde school' method of making custom details. the dorsal fin antenna are little more than cut down round toothpicks, the tailcone can be made from a transition (forward dia. 1.325" aft dia. 1.0625" length 0.625") and some 3/32" x 1/8" balsa stock. the 'hard' part are the wing pods(trying to find the nose cones) you would need a pair of 3.5 : 1 ogive cones in bt5 flavor, a couple of bits of bt5 tube, a pair of rounded conical (length approx. 11/16") nose cones, and some fins (looks like they are scaled down versions of the ventral fins) I think some 1/32" birch ply would probably work. comments?
Rex

if one doesn't mind pushing the limits a bit there is another option for the tail cone, an Estes 24mm motor retainer(plastic screw on/off) would work :).
Rex

reading a post requesting the parts kit...got me thinking about the 'olde school' method of making custom details. the dorsal fin antenna are little more than cut down round toothpicks, the tailcone can be made from a transition (forward dia. 1.325" aft dia. 1.0625" length 0.625") and some 3/32" x 1/8" balsa stock. the 'hard' part are the wing pods(trying to find the nose cones) you would need a pair of 3.5 : 1 ogive cones in bt5 flavor, a couple of bits of bt5 tube, a pair of rounded conical (length approx. 11/16") nose cones, and some fins (looks like they are scaled down versions of the ventral fins) I think some 1/32" birch ply would probably work. comments?
Rex

That is exactly what I did making my MMX downscale Interceptor. All details were made using standard parts with added build up and sanded basswood parts.

MM 244Lp09b_Interceptor on Pad (9th Flt)_03-22-09.JPG

Back