ESRA or IREC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chand

Reaction score
Hi guys October is coming means a month of IREC( intercollegiate rocketry engineer competition) and is organised by ESRA(experimental sounding rocketry association)

Theme
There are basically two themes of IREC they are
1.striking a rocket at a altitude of 5000ft to 12000ft with a payload of 10lb (1lb=0.45 kg ).This is known as basic category

2.striking a rocket at a altitude of 25000ft to 30000ft with a payload of 10lb .this is known as advanced category

Team limitations
1.they allow us to make a team of 15 members all studies in collage or graduated this year
2. All members should give there efforts in building a rocket

Other rules
1. In basic category only solid rocket propellent is used
2.in advanced category there can be any type of rocket motor example like hybrid , liqiud , or solid
3.the should deploy between 1500ft or 700ft
4.the winner will be decided by points
Points will be decide on altitude
the altitude at which parachute deploys
Time of complete flight
And the consumables of rocket less consumables more points
The condition of rocket after recovery
5.paperwork of rocket should be given to seniors then after rocket is qualified for a launch
6. There are no limition on rocket
dimensions
7.funding will be done by sponsors
If sponsors are giving materials which are useful for the rocket are acceptable

I strongly recommend joining in basic category

If you have any doubt regarding IREC mail me on
[email protected]

I'm a bit (ahem) past my college years, and so would not be eligible.
But I live very close to your annual launch site near Green River, and have attended the event the last couple of years.
Any chance there could be a civilian class/entry?

s6

Yes you can if you find a friends team so you can be their visitor
Or someone's team advisor

But I live very close to your annual launch site near Green River, and have attended the event the last couple of years.
Any chance there could be a civilian class/entry?

I have worked with ESRA for a number of years and there are no plans to open up the competition to non-academic teams. They have their hands full with just the colleges and universities. It is allowed to mentor a team but you would be pretty much limited to giving advice or material support. A non-student would not be allowed to help with construction or even design decisions.

Funny story... I was sitting in my engineering class one day, not exactly paying much attention, until my 'selective hearing' picked out "...my design class is building a rocket...", turns out for IREC. I'm now helping them with a number of things.

Back