Bridgeton Area Roclet Club (BARC) - So. Jersey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wighty44

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Bridgeton Area Rocket Club (BARC) - NAR Sec. 775 - is a new and developing club in Cumberland County, NJ. On 9/1/15 we received FAA approval for Class 2 rocket operations to 5,000 ft AMSL for our Rabbit Hill launch site in Shiloh, NJ. Our inaugural HPR launch is on 9/26/15, beginning at 10:00AM. Our website has complete details on launch schedules and directions.

BARC now offers monthly low to high power launches. We are presently able to launch up to "J" motors on the 26th. "K" (and "L") motors will be added once we purchase a 3rd pad controller and a couple more rails - expected early 2016.

Presently only two NAR rocket clubs in NJ offer HPR launches [BARC & RadRock] - both have 5,000 ft FAA authorizations. Dimension-wise BARC's launch site is capable of an 8,000 ft authorization, which is a planned application revision within the next few months.

Last edited:
Wow,, that's really nice to hear..
Congrats on getting the ball rolling on this..
I know it's not easy...
Good for all of the members..
All the best...

Teddy

Wow,, that's really nice to hear.. Congrats on getting the ball rolling on this.. I know it's not easy...
Good for all of the members.. All the best... Teddy
Ted, thank you for the kind words. You are right, it's not easy - our FAA application took 93 days due to a comedy of oversights at the FAA.

Best wishes to our northern "brother"...

Congrats! A new field is a good thing for all of us, even if we're not local.

Getting a new club up and running can be daunting. I wish you the best of luck and congrats on your waiver. That seems to be one of the major hurdles.

My advice is to take a little time off from all the work and fly some rockets during the launches. Don't forget why you are doing this. It's supposed to be fun!!

Nice facebook page. Couldn't get on the website though.

Well done, sir. That takes a lot of dedication, patience, and tolerance. I hope you have a huge turnout and great success.

Ted, thank you for the kind words. You are right, it's not easy - our FAA application took 93 days due to a comedy of oversights at the FAA.

Best wishes to our northern "brother"...

Yes,,
I remember you've been at getting this off the ground ( lol ) for such a long time...
I think Jim Z and Joe D and I were talking about you getting this going last fall if I'm not mistaken...

You keep at it man...
It'll go,, you'll get there...

Teddy

...Nice facebook page. Couldn't get on the website though.
The FB page does get the frequent updates that I'd like - another person does that is their spare time. The BARC Website is more current and has everything someone might need to know about our club.

I've had others mention an infrequent page load problem. So please try loading the page again. For some reason the WordPress servers seem to 'burp' occasionally, but reloading the page seems to correct it.

Just tried the link above. It was a bit slow to load, but worked.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the club up and running. What I've heard from the clubs I've belonged to is that renewing/keeping the waiver is easier. Hope that is your experience.

Wish I still lived on the East Coast - I think I'd be starting some weekend road trips!

We ALWAYS need new clubs!

Hope yours works out well

wish I was on that end of town to help you out!

good luck!

...I think Jim Z and Joe D and I were talking about you getting this going last fall if I'm not mistaken...
Yes, it began with a demo launch in Nov 2014 followed by 3 introductory meetings through Dec. One farm granted me permission to use their property, but only until mid March - I have a 5K FAA approval for that site.

But as you know a club needs year round launch capability. It took 6 months to find someone who just happens to be a great guy with 1 square mile farm land that is going to be all sod in 2016. We've used it 3 times for low-mid power, but on 9/26 we support high power launches.

We have 19 members, and now with the addition of routine HPR launches I'm hoping it will grow further... :D

Yes, it began with a demo launch in Nov 2014 followed by 3 introductory meetings through Dec. One farm granted me permission to use their property, but only until mid March - I have a 5K FAA approval for that site.

But as you know a club needs year round launch capability. It took 6 months to find someone who just happens to be a great guy with 1 square mile farm land that is going to be all sod in 2016. We've used it 3 times for low-mid power, but on 9/26 we support high power launches.

We have 19 members, and now with the addition of routine HPR launches I'm hoping it will grow further... :D

Is this the field that will be an 8K waiver ???
I forgot all the info,,
I'll have to go to the site and get the location and schedule...

Teddy

Is this the field that will be an 8K waiver ???
Yes. Presently we have approval for 5K, but I want to see how the prevailing winds treat the HP rockets before jumping into 8K - small steps to preserve the good nature of the land owner.

I'm following MDRA's example. They have two fields with 16,900ft FAA approvals each. However on one field (a sod farm) the permitted altitude is kept much lower due to the field layout, etc. Anyone wanting to go higher than that limit must discuss their plan with, and gain the approval of, one of MDRAs Board of Directors. It seems a prudent measure...

I see that you are also a MDRA member, so you may already be aware of that policy.

Yes. Presently we have approval for 5K, but I want to see how the prevailing winds treat the HP rockets before jumping into 8K - small steps to preserve the good nature of the land owner.

I'm following MDRA's example. They have two fields with 16,900ft FAA approvals each. However on one field (a sod farm) the permitted altitude is kept much lower due to the field layout, etc. Anyone wanting to go higher than that limit must discuss their plan with, and gain the approval of, one of MDRAs Board of Directors. It seems a prudent measure...

I see that you are also a MDRA member, so you may already be aware of that policy.

That certainly is a prudent measure....
Ya wanna see some 4K flights at that field ????
I tink I can help ya with that... lol...

Teddy

That certainly is a prudent measure.... Ya wanna see some 4K flights at that field ???? I tink I can help ya with that... lol...
You are certainly welcome to stop by... I have a modified (DD) Formula 75 that will do 3K+ on 5Gr CTIs, and my Level 2 (54mm) will bump an 8K ceiling. But before I go above 5K I'm making a 2nd nose cone for the Level 2 with GPS tracking inside... :wink:

Our inaugural HPR launch is on 9/26/15, beginning at 10:00AM

Wow, what an awesome date. My favorite day of the entire year! Literally :) Congratulations on the new field guys!

Holy cow......... that's only 11 days away. WOW

Hey, I know a really great vendor in NJ who would could come vend at your launches too. ;-)

Wow, what an awesome date. My favorite day of the entire year! Literally :) Congratulations on the new field guys!

Holy cow......... that's only 11 days away. WOW

Hey, I know a really great vendor in NJ who would could come vend at your launches too. ;-)

hahahahahahaha,,
Dat's pretty funny Scott...lol...

Man,, ya sure gave me a good chuckle on that one...

Teddy

...Congratulations on the new field guys! Hey, I know a really great vendor in NJ who would could come vend at your launches too. ;-)
Thanks. Once I know there will be a consistent HPR presence at the site, we'd welcome on-site vendors. But I should mention that the vast majority of the HPR fliers in the club use CTI motors - 24, 29, 38 and 54 mm. One member also uses 29 mm AT motors (F, G, & H). That could change once we begin to get new people.

But I should mention that the vast majority of the HPR fliers in the club use CTI motors - 24, 29, 38 and 54 mm.

Well then, you are in for a big American made motor treat. :) Do not be afraid of that which you do not know.

That could change once we begin to get new people.

Guaranteed.

I'd like to introduce you to the newest Loki Research dealer. Ted Chernok of OneBadHawk.com, in case you had not heard the news. Like I said, you are in for a treat. :)

Haaaaay Teddy!!!!! Coooooome and get it!!! LOL

hahahahahahahahah....
That's too funny man.....lol...
You're insane Scott...lol...

Teddy

Well then, you are in for a big American made motor treat. :)
Let's say someone knows nothing about Loki. Where can someone learn about Loki motors - proper assembly, casings, closures, seals, etc.? Are there any motor comparison documents available that describes the differences between Loki, CTI, and/or ATech?

Nice. I have some trips planned for Jersey later this year. A great excuse to stay a weekend!

Let's say someone knows nothing about Loki. Where can someone learn about Loki motors - proper assembly, casings, closures, seals, etc.? Are there any motor comparison documents available that describes the differences between Loki, CTI, and/or ATech?

Sure,, that's as easy as it gets,, lol..

https://lokiresearch.com/default.aspx

Everything you ever wanted to know about Loki...
I promise,,
once you try Loki loads,,
You'll be hooked...
Just take a look at the thrust curves...
Oh,,
and if you like sparky motors...
NOBODY touches a Loki Spitfire....
Take no ones word,,,,
Just burn one....

Teddy

The best place to start out is by browsing through the Loki Research website. Click the "Products" tab on the top left and read the text. Then click on the 38mm or 54mm hardware tab, top left. At the top of these two pages is a video of basic 38mm and 54mm motor assembly. BTW, thank you for this question. It prompted me to edit the 38mm video with several notes and a few video links. Wow! It's hard to believe I made this video almost 2 years ago. So I had a good bit of information I could add to it.

[video=youtube;xTsFquQWK-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsFquQWK-c[/video]

The only comparison between brands that I know of is an article Charles Crabb did for his local clubs newsletter. He was then going to send it in to the NAR magazine. I think that would be Sport Rocketry Magazine. This was a little over a year ago. I don't know if it ever made it into the magazine though. Here is a copy of the article. https://lokiresearch.com/images/Documents/Loki%20Article.doc Thanks again Chuck! :)

Here is a photo detailing the arrangement of internal motor components of a generic 38mm Loki Research motor. This photo is probably 10 years old now.
Loki_motor.jpg

This cutaway image might be more helpful. https://lokiresearch.com/images/38mm_H144_stars.jpg
Each instruction sheets show a cutaway of the motor for aid in proper assembly.

...Here is a photo detailing the arrangement of internal motor components of a generic 38mm Loki Research motor. This photo is probably 10 years old now.
Loki_motor.jpg
This cutaway image might be more helpful. https://lokiresearch.com/images/38mm_H144_stars.jpg
Each instruction sheets show a cutaway of the motor for aid in proper assembly.
Chuck, these graphics are very helpful. Being a visual person, I learn more easily when I can see how something fits together. I would suggest that you add to these (or another) graphic the nomenclature Loki uses to describe the case internal elements (aside from the grains). That would help someone more easily cross-reference what they see to the website parts listing.

In my opinion the easier you make it for someone to understand what they'll need to construct a specific sized Loki motor (using examples), the more likely you'll gain a new customer... I know in my case I started using AeroTech motors, but soon switched to CTI because of their simplicity. I still use both types, but when it came to getting into the larger diameter motors I committed to CTI. That doesn't mean I would not consider using another motor type, but I would need to understand what advantages I'd realize using a new brand.

Perhaps you could take the idea of showing and explaining Loki motors as a new topic in another forum area? I know I'd like that...

BTW, the 9 page article you wrote was very helpful!

Last edited:
Loki motors are extremely easy to assemble...
I found the videos that Scott made to be the best way to understand because you are seeing a motor being assembled...

Teddy

Back