Wayco's reflections on Airfest 21

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sharon and I did our annual migration to Argonia, KS for the Kloudbusters Airfest 21. It didn't start out as smoothly as our previous trips. We prepped rockets over the last weekend of August and did some preliminary packing and work on the toy hauler. Sharon was very busy in the office trying to get all her work out, so it was primarily my job to get everything ready for the trip.
Final packing was on Tuesday morning, with most of the rockets loaded onto the bunk beds in the back, and a full load of water to balance them out up front. I made the mistake of not checking the tongue weight before we departed around 11 am and drove through Phoenix traffic with an unstable trailer. Once we got through the gauntlet of Phx. traffic, we stopped and moved a bunch of stuff forward into the bedroom. That made the rest of the trip to Holbrook much better, except for the weight of the water slowed us down on the serious grades getting out of the "gravity well" of the valley.
We spent the night at a nice RV park in Holbrook and had a surprisingly good meal at a restaurant nearby. The plan was to get an early start on I-40 before the trucks got out, and that worked great. We left around 3 am and didn't pass a truck for over an hour driving East on the interstate. After filling up both tanks in Holbrook, our next gas stop was in Tucumcari, NM. "Grosser" our '98 GMC Sierra 4x4 can hold 76 gallons of gas, and needs all of it to feed the big block 454 cid. motor. We get about 6.5 mpg. normally when towing, but the climb out of Phx. is pretty hard, so gas mileage is worse. We decided on this trip that this will be Grosser's last trip to Argonia. Next year, a new GMC diesel will do the job.
Next stop was in Dalhart, TX. We revisited the Corral RV park and had dinner in the trailer. There are no good restaurants in Dalhart. I was restless that night, and woke up very early. We left there around 2 am. Got into Medicine Lodge for the good gas prices and had a problem maneuvering to the gas pumps, so it took a while to get the fuel tank in the trailer filled. Last leg to the rocket pasture went pretty quickly, and we arrived around 8 am. The Wildman gang gave us a hearty welcome, and we started setting up before it got too hot. The wind was blowing, so we needed extra hands to get our tents up and the awning out. Once we were mostly done, Sharon took her 98mm casing and M1790 skidmark over to the Wildman camp so Tim could supervise her L3 motor build. This was the first 98mm either of us had done, but Sharon got through it with no help and very little supervision. Tim was busy selling all the new kits he brought to Airfest.
Later that evening, the grill was full of steaks and corn on the cob, so we had the steak dinner we missed in Dalhart. Sharon wanted to get her Gizmo XL off early, so we retired to the trailer as soon as it got dark.
Bright and early Friday, we got our registration packets, and I did a round through the campsite. Met a bunch of friends we had made on our previous trips, and picked up a few things on my shopping list. When I got back, Mosquito guy (Jerome) showed up and brought me a Dr. Rockets 38/480 casing I bought from him here on TRF. Sharon finished the prep. on her rocket, and we loaded it onto a hand truck so we could roll it to the pad. The hand truck made it easy to load into the back of Grosser, and off we went to the away pad RSO. Coop checked it over and helped get it on a 60's pad, and Sharon turned on the altimeters and stuck an igniter in it. All checks complete, we went back to the away tent to watch the flight. We were so occupied with getting it ready, we didn't take any pictures at the pad. I'm hoping Kevin will post up some of the shots he took.
The flight was perfect, all the way up until the landing, which didn't occur. There was a slight delay when it hung up on the power lines, shutting down power to the launch and nearby community. The Skidmark pushed her Gizmo up to 7999 ft.
008.jpg

After a futile attempt by the lineman to flip this 56 lb. rocket over the wires with a hot stick, and since there was no power to the lines, Coop undid the quick link and let the fincan drop to the ground. The Mobius camera recorded the entire event, and when Sharon edit's the onboard video, we will post it up here. The fincan landed in soft dirt, so there was no damage to the rocket.
The next task was to remove the bottle of champagne from the nosecone and get Tim and Roy to sign off on her successful L3 flight. The champagne was still cold when we got it out, and was enjoyed by many later that day after launching was complete. I immediately started flying my darkstars, starting with the Jr. It flew great on a J420 redline, with a little wiggle under thrust, and I watched the entire event, apogee at 4560 ft. Wind was out of the South, so it cleared the power lines and landed just North of the road. I was hoping to get off at least three of my Darkstars, and the 3" was next. It flew on a K750 red lightning to about 400 ft. when the motor burned through the casing just below the upper plug. Melted the body tube and the mobius camera, destroying the fincan. Fortunately, the burning fincan separated and the payload, avbay and nosecone with Eggfinder landed under chute. Fincan started a small fire, but was quickly put out by the Kloudbusters crew. It was pretty hot, and getting late, so I decided to cease flight operations and help Sharon celebrate her L3 flight. We had two dinners, Jackie's pulled pork butt and more corn on the cob, and Green chili stew and coleslaw with Pat and 'Retta G.
That concludes the first day of launching, I will post up more soon.

loved your recap, wayne!
great seeing you & sharon! (congrats on her L3! :))
now she can burn even more money! literally! hehe....

Great to see you and Sharon again.

Thanks for posting photos.. I'm as busy as you at launches and don't see other flyers flights and events unless they post reports.

See you at LDRS....

That was a really nice recap of Airfest Wayne..
That took me right back to the rocket pasture,,, lol...
I watched Sharon's flight and it was perfect,, ( except for the power lines,, lol )...

Congratulations on an absolutely beautiful and successful level 3 flight Sharon...

Teddy

Thanks for the congratulations. I need to trim down my onboard video and get it posted here - it turned out really nice. The hardest part of my L-3 was getting the Gizmo on the rail, it took three of us!

Well done Sharon. I've been looking forward to your build thread of the Gizmo.

Well done Sharon. I've been looking forward to your build thread of the Gizmo.

I need to get on it then, got all the pictures and the write-up for the TAP's, just need to get it posted here. So many things to do, so little time......:rolleyes:

Congrats on LVL 3

Diesel truck for hauling around 8" Darkstar ? :kill:

I think we have reached the upper limit to what we want to fly. After lugging both Sharon's Gizmo XL and my Ultimate DS to Kansas, and the issues we had with the bigger rockets, I'm pretty sure you won't see anything bigger from us. Part of that is because of what happened on Saturday.
We get up early every morning, and Saturday was no exception. I wanted to get a flight off before we went down to the AZRT camp to help with "Daddy Ugly". I wanted to fly my minimum diameter rockets, two Blackhawk 54's and a RW Mongoose 75. To do that I needed to set up my tower. As I was lugging it past Wildman's camp, Tim offered to let me use his quad. So after a brief lesson on how to drive it, I strapped my tower on and drove out to the 60's pads. After I got it set up, I returned and finished prepping the newer version of my Blackhawk fleet. It's about a pound lighter than my old BH, since it's made from the new thinwall tubing. Sharon was prepping her Super Jart, a 5" Jart with a 75mm MMT. By 9 am when the range opened our rockets were ready. After passing through the RSO station, we both racked our rockets on the pads and went back to watch. I had the Eggfinder up and monitored my flight with the RX unit. The K160 lit and flew quickly to 14,561 ft. Sharon's Super jart was flying an L910, and it flew to over 6000 ft. if I remember right. We watched that flight and recovered it just North of the power lines, then drove out to the South to Hwy. 44 to the last coordinates on my Eggfinder. Mine landed in a field of tall grass, and was invisible up until I almost stepped on it. Once again, the Eggfinder did it's job, making it an easy recovery. We got back to camp around 10 am and dropped off our rockets.
The AZRT camp was a ways down the field, so we drove down and checked in with Roy and the team. Got our t-shirts on and helped load this huge rocket onto the trailer.
IMG_6145.jpg

Sharon and I had made several trips down to AZ city to help build this rocket. We both learned how to do fiberglass layups using sono tube and fiberglass fabric saturated with epoxy. My specialty was avbays, and Roy had a great design for this rocket, which I built into one of the couplers. It had two sleds that slid into slots through a door in the side of the rocket. One sled had an RRC-3 and Stratologger, and the other had an Eggfinder. They were already prepped and ready to go when we got there, so I just followed the trailer out to the away cells, helping out where I could. Sharon helped hold the rocket as we drove slowly down the dirt road. Everything takes longer to get done with these huge rockets, it took over an hour to get out to the pads, where we set up the launch pad the team had brought with them. We laid it out by the 80's pads, but before we could finish assembling it, we were called back to let a high altitude flight get off in the window. It took several trips out to get "Daddy Ugly" racked and ready to fly. When it did finally launch, it lumbered off the rail slowly, way too slowly, and layed over heading back toward the flight line. I downloaded the data off the altimeters, and it barely made it over 1000 ft. before it started to descend. The altimeters did their job and the chutes came out before it slid into the weeds just North of the launch area. The fire crew was scrambled, and had the fire under control by the time we arrived. Fortunately, it landed in the wettest part of the field, and the fire was quickly contained. After we recovered the parts, Sharon and I returned to our camp. It was late in the day, we were pretty beat from standing around out in the sun and heat all day long, so we decided to kick back and cool off for a while.
It was pretty evident by now that I wouldn't be flying all eight rockets I brought to this launch, but I figured I could get one more flight off before the range closed. Next up was my second Blackhawk 54, a little heavier, but much more experienced. It had won the altitude contest at Hellfire a month before, flying to 22,535 ft. on a dual thrust K640. I had another one loaded and hoped for a similar result. Did not happen. The forward plug blew through the forward end of the casing, smashing into the aeropac MD retainer, which continued up into the drogue destroying it and the shock cord. It also hit the bottom of the avbay, cramming it up into the payload tube. The rest of the motor exited the back end of the rocket and shot back down the tower to mangle the 1/4" plate steel blast deflector. Not done yet it hit the 1010 rail stubs at the bottom and smashed them too. Meanwhile, burning propellant grains are rolling around on the field, the fire crew is once again deployed to put out the fire.
:sad:
If I can get the remains of the aeropac retainer out of the fincan, I think I can rebuild this rocket. Two motor failures and the subsequent damage to the rockets dampened my desire to fly.
Sunday was our last day at Airfest, and I'm helping Wildman with his Mega Wildman rocket. More to come tomorrow....

Thanks for the report - I wanna hear how that Mongoose flight went!

Wayne, I love reading/re-living this. Looking forward to the next day.

Pretty sure the "Goose" was a bird of no flight.

Thanks for the report - I wanna hear how that Mongoose flight went!

You might have a bit of a wait, next chance to fly it will be Oct. 24th at the TRA/PHX Eagle eye launch. Good news is that I won't need a call in waiver, and if it does blow up, nothing much to catch on fire.

Wayne, I love reading/re-living this. Looking forward to the next day.

Pretty sure the "Goose" was a bird of no flight.

Yep, the goose did not fly, along with the "Red Tailed Extreme", my L3 rocket, and "Redline" the DS Ultimate and "Rapiditty", my RW X-Celerator. Saturday night, along with the "Burger Blast", I spent some time wandering around looking at other projects and visiting some of the vendors. Surprising how many vendors pack up and leave as soon as the launch closes. Missed opportunities if you ask me. I did some soul searching and decided that I would spend more time helping others instead of flying more rockets. Two of my rockets had motor failures, and although neither could be directly blamed on me, they were still my rockets, and they both started fires. It had been several years back that I had had a motor failure, and nothing was damaged but my rocket. So I put my toys away and concentrated on helping the Wildman gang launch the MEGA Wildman.
Tim is also an early riser, and was motivated to getting the Mega ready early. Although I had nothing to do with building this rocket, the team engaged me and put me to work. They even invited Sharon along to help. We used my truck to move the payload and nosecone out to the away pads.
IMG_6191.jpg

Manny was in charge of keeping it from falling out:
IMG_6194.jpg

The fincan was HEAVY! With six 75mm motors and a central 98, it weighed over 100 lbs. I helped guide the rail buttons on:
IMG_6197.jpg

We had it out at the pads by 9 am, and racked before 10. Then we waited. Pat G. was making up the igniters, and he hadn't shown up yet, so we all went over the the other away pad and harassed the gang that was putting up the "Purple Pizza Eater":
023.jpg

The graphics were in the shadow, so it was hard to get a good picture:
029.jpg

I was keeping an eye on the road, and as soon as I saw Pat's truck heading our way, I ran back to our pad and waved him down. The rest of the crew followed, ready to receive the huge igniters Pat had made:
IMG_6248.jpg

and Tim was back at it, stuffing igniters into all the motors:
031.jpg

You might think he was having fun, huh?
We had racked this monster on the hydrolic pad, so getting it vertical was easy, we just held it back a bit at the end:
IMG_6265.jpg

Once we had it up, we were back in wait mode. Apparently, the Kloudbusters were having a problem finding a remote launch controller that was up to the task of lighting seven igniters at once, so we found other things to do, like polishing the shiny new paint job:
IMG_6268.jpg

Jason did a practice climb up the pad to see where the wires came out for arming the altimeters:
036.jpg

Bob showed up with a controller, so Tim sent most of the crew back to the away cell tent, where we continued to wait. They went through the first countdown, but nothing happened, so we were back in wait mode:
037.jpg

After quite a while, another controller was brought out and we went through the countdown again, with Bob on the radio and his trigger finger on the remote:
045.jpg

This time it lit, and there was no hesitation, this bird was ready to fly! I was a little late with the shutter:
046.jpg

Long post, to be continued,,,,

I followed the entire flight with a zoom lens on my camera, this shot was taken after apogee deployment, over three miles away:
050.jpg

It was coming back to us, getting closer, perfect position for main deployment:
053.jpg

Main deployed, just over the power lines heading North:
054.jpg

The wind was carrying it past us, into the field to the North:
056.jpg

Down and being drug by a 28 ft. chute, with Manny and Jason running after it:
IMG_6299.jpg

They did manage to catch up to it, and brought back the payload and nosecone. A local farmer must have been watching this flight, he drove out later, with the fincan strapped to his tractor. I didn't get to help with the recovery, but donated my camelback hydration pack to Manny, who looked pretty wasted when he came out of the field. Another long day out at the away pads, with one more rocket flown, but what a rocket! We went back to our air conditioned trailer to eat lunch and re-hydrate.
Later, I made another pass at the vendors row, while there were still some vendors present. A couple of things I took note of, one was a new airframe tube Kent with Giant Leap was coming out with, made from a Kevlar sleeve with filament wound fiberglass wrapped around it. Very strong and light weight, demonstrated by Kent's helper, standing his massive self on a 3" tube with nary a popping noise! Also spent about an hour talking to Bdale Garbee about the Tele-Mega, possibly the best avionics package for complex multi-stage rockets. My mind was reeling as I walked back to camp. I stopped by Wildman's to rescue my camelback from Manny, who was also recovering in the air conditioning of Tim's motorhome. CJ and Jim Amos were bubbling over about a very successful flight of Jim's new GPS system coming out soon from Missleworks. I had been sharing my experience with Eggfinders with Jim, and brainstorming more ideas with him on his new product. Looking forward to seeing what the final results will be. I'm a die-hard Eggfinder fan, but that doesn't mean I won't jump onto something new if I like it. Jim and I share a belief, when you put an altimeter in a rocket that's where it should stay. I have about 15 dual deploy rockets, most of which are redundant. That adds up to a bunch of altimeters. I feel the same way about my Eggfinders, some of which are custom fitted into MD rockets, where they stay.
I talked Jim into coming over to my air conditioned trailer to help me program an RRC-3 for a two stage rocket I had acquired from CJ. Notice how I'm keeping the two Jim's separate? Crazy Jim is a master builder, and offered me his last two stage rocket to learn how to fly composite motors in that configuration. Jumped right on it and here is what I got:
DSCN4845.jpg

Once I get this bad boy up and flying, I have my own project I'm working on. It should take me well beyond where the CF Mongoose is going. With a local field and a 50k standing waiver, I'm really looking forward to that.
I want to thank everyone who has waded through my blog-like posts, and are willing to finish this up. Here are some final thoughts. Every year I bring fewer rockets to Airfest, and leave with more experiences, information and friends. (and a bunch of rocket stuff)
I plan to continue with that trend. Airfest is not just another rocket launch, no words can express what it really is, no matter how many I type, it comes up short. I left a bunch of stuff out, and that's probably a good thing.... Sharon and I agree that every time we go to the rocket pasture, we leave as different people. I don't think anyone can experience it and stay the same. Next year, we will be back with more idea's, dreams, and a couple of rockets that started out as dreams.

Love your stories and especially the pics Wayne. I found that special chocolate you had also. Had to have some more so I ordered some from here: https://germandelistore.com/sweets/...herren-schokolade-noble-bitter-chocolate-100g

Oh Bill, you are in trouble now! No other chocolate will stand a chance when you start eating that. I have been seeding those little bars at launches for several years now and you are the first to have taken the bait. Thanks for the link, this is the first time I have seen anything written in English about it. Be sure to remind me next year before Airfest, and I will bring you a couple of bars from my personal stash.

Great Stories!

Thanks for posting, and glad I was finally able to meet you Wayne and Sharon! I missed out on your L3 shot Sharon (arriving late Friday afternoon), so congrats on a job well done... no surprise however having observed your collective operations first hand.

I appreciate all the ideas and suggestions from you both as well... I'm also thinking real hard about that extra pair of terminals, too.

p.s. I've used my digital battery tester countless times since arriving home. Thanks so much for that gizmo...

Last edited:
You might have a bit of a wait, next chance to fly it will be Oct. 24th at the TRA/PHX Eagle eye launch. Good news is that I won't need a call in waiver, and if it does blow up, nothing much to catch on fire.
I'll be listening! :) Sounds like a fun launch was had by all.

I am looking forward to Powerlines MEGA Jart at the next one ! :dark:

Or did that get changed to the MEGA Gizmo ?

Kenny

Back