Av bay parts and supplier recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3td

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for parts and suppliers for my av bay, specifically -

Terminal posts

Threaded insert nuts (I'm sure that's not what they are really called) for use on the av bay that accept a hex head allen screw via a hole in the body tube to secure the av bay inside the body tube during flight

Thanks!

Beat me to it. Bill at Doghouse ships same or next day and is the easiest vendor in the world to deal with!

For securing the av bay to the payload tube I usually attach normal hex nuts to the inside of the av bay with epoxy putty.

I usually get my stuff from Home Depot and McMaster. Making your own av-bays are just the way to do it if you ask me.

Doghouse has a wide selection, and Apogee even more. One thing I've learned, since recently building some avionics bays myself, if you try to source your parts from multiple vendors, shipping will quickly add up. I've tried to purchase what i can local, but, in my area, electronics supplies are non existent, as is hardware under #8 size.

Doghouse has a wide selection, and Apogee even more. One thing I've learned, since recently building some avionics bays myself, if you try to source your parts from multiple vendors, shipping will quickly add up. I've tried to purchase what i can local, but, in my area, electronics supplies are non existent, as is hardware under #8 size.

McMaster has a wide selection of stuff you can use. If not found there you can also try aerocon.

I use Amazon for a lot of hardware. I'm a prime member so I only look for prime items. I bought $6 - $7 hardware with no shipping cost. Is cheaper than driving to a big box store. I save more on shipping than the prime fee.

Doghouse ships very reasonably (almost too cheap). I get std charge wells, terminal blocks and shruter switches from him .

I do grainger ship to store thing (2 miles from work) for aluminum 1/4-20 all thread and now 10 packs of 4/40 nylon stand offs.

Also been buying sheets of g10, very easy to cut a sled or make bulk heads as needed without trying to forecast each piece needed. The other materials or so cheap i can buy a little ahead.

Kenny

1442638095928.jpg

1442638183716.jpg

Back