Boost Glider: loop during cost phase?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster_rockit

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed in my limited boost glider experience is that they tend to pitch onto their backs and often loop during the coast phase of flight. The launches I've seen were fairly vertical: the motor thrust tends to pitch the glider nose-down, the stabilizer incidence counteracts this, and the result is a relatively straight boost. After the motor burns out, there is far less nose-down moment. Hence, the glider starts to pitch up and eventually roll to its back.

I've mulled over a number of solutions to this problem and wanted to pick the forum's brains as to which one might be most effective:
1) Use a taller pylon on the motor pod for more nose-down moment on boost, so the rocket doesn't pitch past vertical during coast.
2) Use burn string and rubber bands to actuate the elevator at burnout (similar to Xebec rocket glider)
3) Canards on motor pod to force more nose-down moment (Estes Nighthawk-style,) with similar flight profile to #1
4) Place incidence on wing instead of stabilizer. This would add to the pitch-down moment during boost, but I'm concerned about too much nose-down pitch during coast.
5) Simply reduce the amount of incidence between the wing and stabilizer (is there a magic number? perhaps 1-3 degrees?)

All "war stories" about trying any of these would be great!

How about two motors on opposite sides to remove the noise down moment allowing a neutral design.

Easiest way is to move the CG further forward. If this is a problem you've been having, try just making your pop pods longer.

I like to use a slight amount of incidence, about 1 degree.

And Brian is right about moving the CG more forward. Especially by using a longer pylon, so the entire pod, including engine mass, is more forward.

Also, sometimes I glue the pylon on crooked in yaw, a degree or so. This is to cause the model to roll a bit, so any tendency to loop ends up more as a spiral. If the glider is trimmed to turn say to the right, then the pod is crooked to the right so that the rudder trim and crooked pod combine forces.

Here's an example of a longer pylon (using my "L" hooks and a Spooler pop-pod).

- George Gassaway

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1410.JPG

Last edited:
Back